Home General Discussion

game art injuries

Ruz
polycount lvl 666
Offline / Send Message
Ruz polycount lvl 666
well my main injury is my left hand which has two permanently injured fingers from leaning on my desk. been 4 years now and now ny keft wrist has a big 'lump' on it and two of my fingers are still numb. It's kind of worrying but i am still working. what injuries have you guys got from working in games?
BTW i think my injury is a kind of ganglion thing, hopefully but its a bit of a worry still.
http://www.bupa.co.uk/individuals/health-information/directory/g/ganglia

Replies

• ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    My wrists/fingers hurt from time to time, my right shoulder and my back from sitting.

Also, if I were you, I'd see a doctor or two rather than self-diagnose and worry.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    yeah I am not too fussed on doctors,my doctor is 80 years old and insults me every time I visit him so I am not too keen about making an appointment:)
    would you take advice from a man so hunched he is talking to your knees
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Hey guys, I have this huge growth coming out of my penis, and I think it might be cancer or aids or something, and I can't get an erection anymore. Doctors? Nah I can't be bothered by silly things like that.

Ruz. See a doctor. Also, get a new doctor.

As for me my mouse hand started hurting constantly, so I switched to my left hand for a month or two and it got better. Now I just stretch a lot and work on my posture.
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Selaznog polycounter lvl 8
    I think I have a ganglion on the top of both my hands near my wrists. Hasnt been bothering me yet, but I might go and get them checked out.
  • PogoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    I lost both my hands in a 3D related accident. I added too many polys and my hands just fell off. Horrific.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    aesir, you should get your penis seen to mate - sounds serious:)preferably a female doctor with big stethascope:)
    pogop - this is a serious thread mate, shame on you
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    When I work to much crunch time I hands get a little shaky when resting. Probably from lack of sleep. I use to have a callous on my mouse hand, but I got a mousepad with a gel pad and it's gone now.

Ruz, a friend of mine got a lump in his forearm and his fingers went numb. It was a fatty deposit. He needed to get it surgically removed. In other words, go to a doctor and have him examine your lumps.
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    cheers monster, i should have got this seen to a long while ago, but yeah I don't like doctors. haven't seen one in 16 years
    seems you have caught double post syndrome too:)
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I'm on of those lefties that splits work between his left & right hand so modeling is right hand & texturing is left, it's kept the stress down on my wrists.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    Selaznog - yeah mine doesn't bother me too much, but it can on occasion give me pain. looks weird too:/
    wow Justin, that's a nice skill to have. I can play pool and snooker both left and right ,but drawing would be tough.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    I use my Wacom for everything minus playing games that don't support it.
  • Pabs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pabs polycounter lvl 11
    PogoP wrote: »
    I lost both my hands in a 3D related accident. I added too many polys and my hands just fell off. Horrific.
    are you typing with your cock? or did that fall off too?
  • Kbrom12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kbrom12 polycounter lvl 8
    my back...i have an incredible chair but i sometimes lean forward to work without realizing...it gives me pain
  • Moosey_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Every ten minutes or so I lose circulation to my right arm and fingers, but that's about it. Hopefully it stays that way :)
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    PogoP wrote: »

That's not the end! I worked with a seriously kickass texture artist who had no hands. No kidding. She had a birth defect and had only short stumps to hold the wacom pen with, but that girl was as damn good with it. That's determination!
  • Sayanora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sayanora polycounter lvl 11
    Lamont wrote: »
    I use my Wacom for everything minus playing games that don't support it.

This ^

Been doing it for close to two years now. The only time I use a mouse now is while working in an app that doesn't respond well to stylus input (UDK's 3d viewport).
  • Sandro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you guys get injuries doing game art you should try mountain biking :poly142:
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    After playing Dead Space I began to grow these 'bone scythe' type things sprouting from my shoulders and have started developing violent tendencies. Makes it really difficult to type :/
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    One time I ate too much cereal and my tummy hurt for a few minutes.
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    I just needed to unwrap one last part of my model when i dropped hot tea on my lap.

Finished the unwrap.
  • walreu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you have problems with wrists i highly recommend getting powerball. It's used by professional athletes too!
    And if you get the one with display (shows your records) it will be very addictive to try top your own scores.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gyroscopic_exercise_tool

I really haven't had any injuries. When my back starts to hurt from too much sitting, i get up and stretch.
    I also try to keep myself in good shape with exercising.
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    I can't tell you how much of a difference setting mouse 3 to a button that my right hand thumb can easily push has made. I know you have lefty problems but it's usually the mouse or the way you sit.
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    I just needed to unwrap one last part of my model when i dropped hot tea on my lap.

Finished the unwrap.

your bravery shames me!
  • SnakeDoctor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnakeDoctor keyframe
    Ruz wrote: »
    yeah I am not too fussed on doctors,my doctor is 80 years old and insults me every time I visit him so I am not too keen about making an appointment:)
    would you take advice from a man so hunched he is talking to your knees

You should get a younger female doctor. Its what I did so now every time I get physicals I can ask her if she would at least take me to dinner before she made me turn my head and cough. :)

Concerning my injuries with game art, I can honestly say my overall pains have subsided. I have moderate Scoliosis and with the exception of having to pop my back every few hours its never felt better. It beats when I used to work construction or other jobs requiring heavy lifting and standing. Those days where the worse. Every night I would crawl in bed and not be able to move. Pretty sad for a 22 year old.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    yeah don't think my missus would be too impressed SnakeDoctor:)
    I will get around to the docs at some point, gotta get healthy first

I have done a bit of labouring in the past, even drove a bin wagon in camden once, but I do prefer sitting down all day.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Moosey_G wrote: »
    Every ten minutes or so I lose circulation to my right arm and fingers, but that's about it. Hopefully it stays that way :)

... that's quite frequent.
  • Teemu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Basically broke my back :P Well, I'm not sure where exactly it broke, but office work doesn't help with healing this kind of stuff.
    It's been sore for over two years now. And I can't feel my toes if I sit for more than 1-2 hours. Having a surgery next week in attempt to fix it.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    go to the gym.

i had chronic back pain until a couple of weeks after i started going to the gym for an hour, four days a week.

no more back pain! and of course i'm losing weight and feeling good about myself.
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    i find the amount of discrimination here disturbing.
    coding gives one injuries too, but isnt really art
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gilesruscoe polycounter lvl 10
    Trigger finger, annoying and achey. Having to pull open your hand each morning and then have it get stuck in a half bent position throughout the day is not very fun.
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    go to the gym.

i had chronic back pain until a couple of weeks after i started going to the gym for an hour, four days a week.

no more back pain! and of course i'm losing weight and feeling good about myself.

This. A strong back will help a lot with back pains from sitting around all day. I immediately notice my weakening back in longer periods where I don't have the time/energy to stick to my full routine.

I recommend using free weights and standing vs. sitting for most of your excercises, you'll strengthen your core as a by-product.
    Do deadlifts, squats, pullups and maybe power cleans to target your (lower) back.
    Start light to learn good form though, or you will injure your spine :)

EDIT: I also put down my lack of any serious wrist pains to weight-lifting (stronger forearms?), but that might be, um, anecdotal evidence.
  • TrevorJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TrevorJ polycounter lvl 9
    perna wrote: »
    no arrow in the knee jokes?

399.gif
  • Sandro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Huh, are you seriously recommending weight lifting to a person who says he has damaged spine and needs surgery? :poly124:
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    it's more prevention than cure. if your job is sitting in front of a computer all day, go to the gym for an hour after work, four days a week (or more, it's up to you), and you won't get those back problems in the first place.
  • Sandro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sure, it's a very good prevention and works as long as you are healthy. However, if you already have medical condition you might actually damage things permanently with improper type, intensity or form of exercise. So, consult doctor before doing deadlifts :P
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha no, you are obviously correct. pretty sure the doctor would object.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    'Gym' does not necessarily equate to doing weights.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSrfB7JIzxY"]Essential Hand Stretches For Guitarists - YouTube[/ame]

Back in like 2005 I had to get cortico-steroid injections in my wrists/forearms, because of tension and inflammation leading to carpal tunnel. I've been doing exercises like those in the video every morning ever since. All of my CP issues have since vanished.

Your hands are you most important tools - take care of them.
  • ghost-d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ghost-d polycounter lvl 17
    I´ve been having some issues with my mouse hand for the last 5-6 months (and in March 2011). 2 days ago I´ve finally decided to buy a new mouse and to my surprise it really helped. The aches used to start early in the morning, even before I could check what´s new on polycount. Now I can say that during the last two days there wasn´t any pain at all.

I´ve had a bad habit of pressing the tip of my thumb against the side of the mouse, instead of laying it naturally along the mouse - that´s probably what started these issues and later the pain wouldn´t go away even if I tried to focus not to do that. This new mouse is a lot bigger so there´s no chance for me to hold it the way I used to hold the old one. Also it keeps the palm of my hand in open, more natural posture.
  • Teemu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    go to the gym.

Yes, absolutely.
    I'm going to start more regular exercising once I get this thing fixed. I haven't been able to do much because of the pain.

It's pretty weird to hear that the pain which has been there for years is going to be gone after 60 minutes minor surgery :)