Home Technical Talk

SMD importing into Maya

Hello I'm trying to import Dota 2 Game models into maya after searching the internet I've learnt how to decompile them using MDL Cannon Fodders decompiler, However once I imported them into maya its only showing the head of the model and the rig of it nothing else if anyone has any information it would be grateful thank you :)

Heres a screenshot of what I see when I import the model.
modelerror.png

Replies

• GriffeXe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is the crystal maiden model I imported.
  • GriffeXe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    quick update I tried importing Axe

Only shows head and rig also but I was able get some information off the script editor.

Heres the Pasete:

// C:/Users/GriffeXe/Desktop/axe_model.dmx.smd //
    The current time is: 16:52:37.81
    Enter the new time: // Warning: problem creating smd weight map template //
    // Warning: Command fileBrowserDialog has been deprecated. Use fileDialog2 instead. //
    // Warning: file: C:/Users/GriffeXe/Documents/maya/scripts/smd/smdRead.mel line 262: Converting string "" to an int value of 0. //
    // Warning: file: C:/Users/GriffeXe/Documents/maya/scripts/smd/smdRead.mel line 287: Converting string "" to a float value of 0. //
    // Warning: file: C:/Users/GriffeXe/Documents/maya/scripts/smd/smdRead.mel line 288: Converting string "" to a float value of 0. //
    // Warning: file: C:/Users/GriffeXe/Documents/maya/scripts/smd/smdRead.mel line 287: Converting string "" to a float value of 0. //
    // Warning: file: C:/Users/GriffeXe/Documents/maya/scripts/smd/smdRead.mel line 288: Converting string "" to a float value of 0. //
    // Warning: file: C:/Users/GriffeXe/Documents/maya/scripts/smd/smdRead.mel line 262: Converting string "" to an int value of 0. //
    finished piecewise import
    uniting
    merging verts
    skinning
    // Warning: vertex 35 has no or bad weighting data
    //
    // Warning: vertex 77 has no or bad weighting data
    //
    // Warning: vertex 361 has no or bad weighting data
    //
    // Warning: vertex 509 has no or bad weighting data
    //
    // Warning: vertex 532 has no or bad weighting data
    //
    // Warning: vertex 588 has no or bad weighting data
    //
    // Warning: vertex 616 has no or bad weighting data
    //
    // Warning: waitCursor stack empty //
    done
    elapsed time: 16.56 seconds
    No Change
  • Paradan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    when was the last time the decompiler was updated?
  • GriffeXe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha I should of checked that

// smd export script version 2.4
    // by theo 8/17/2001
    // updated by Prall 6/23/2005
  • GriffeXe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    does anyone know where I can download the latest version of the importer?
  • GriffeXe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Right after following this tutorial :

http://www.northcapestudios.com/blog/?p=45

I think I fully updated the importer,

Tried to reimport crystal maiden and it looks like this now.

modelerror2.png

As you can see there's more topology but its still missing the body :(

// C:/Users/GriffeXe/Desktop/crystal_maiden_model.dmx.smd //
    The current time is: 18:05:36.57
    Enter the new time: // Warning: problem creating smd weight map template //
    // Warning: Command fileBrowserDialog has been deprecated. Use fileDialog2 instead. //
    select -cl ;
    // Error: New name has no legal characters. //
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Haven't messed with any source related stuff in a while.
    Is there only one reference file decompiled from the model? Maybe it has multiple references that are combined at runtime?
    Try looking in the .qc file and see what reference .smd files it uses. This is normally under the $body section of the .qc file.
    Could help if you posted the .qc file up so we can see.
  • Paradan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok, step one: have you seen ripped DOTA 2 models anywhere else? if you have, try to contact them.

all my source knowledge comes from working on a l4d/l4d2 campaign last year, so from here on out, Im pretty much just making wild ass guesses.

find an SMD file that you can get imported into maya, like a prop from portal, er whatever.
    open it up in Notepad ++, it'll be a bunch of jibberish, but up near the top there might be a string of letters and numbers. now open the crystal maiden file, and see if it has that same string/sequence or one similar.

Im sitting here trying to remember how I pulled corpse props so I could shrink em for skybox use...

it's like a zero or a one at the beginning or end you change, or crap maybe it was comma
    or..

lol, so this quite possibly the worst technical advice to ever grace this board, but maybe it'll spark someone elses memory.

o yeah, definitely check the .qc like ark says.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    just use max or blender for the smd import and export, and send it to maya via other format like fbx, the smd scripts for maya are outdated, and were pretty terrible when they were new too.
  • GriffeXe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ill give blender ago I only want the models as a size reference so I can make stuff for the workshop got some awesome ideas and this was my only hurdle to start modeling thanks passerby also Paradan I already did that with notepad+ thats how I got to this stage :D but thanks man =D
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    if you use blender use this add-on for smd/dmx support

http://code.google.com/p/blender-smd/

if you go on the max direction try this

http://wallworm.com/projects/utilities/wallworm_model_tools.html

plus this

http://www.wunderboy.org/

im a maya user too, so i tend to just use blender as a way to convert smds to something maya can use, and use blender for the final export nad compile for source engine.
  • GriffeXe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome thanks for the tip Ill post my progress on this thread also, if I get anymore problems thanks for the help :D
  • DimensiO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did anyone try to decompile all the .vtx files and import them all together?
    I'm trying it atm but without success.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @DimensiO vtx files arent needed, there the vertex animation for characters faces, smd and dmx are the important ones.
  • e-barron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't know if too late for this but the Source Wiki says that the prall importer for maya only works with 32 bit versions :shttps://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Maya#Plugins
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    there not refering the the prall one, there referiong the the one newley included with source sdk