Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Green goblin

hii i am terry and i made this piece for a contest only my texture skills arent that good anyone have an idea how i can improve and what?
renderset4.pngtest1.gif
texture size 512x512 for character
and 512x512 for the rest
2362tri's

Replies

• Shinsen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shinsen polycounter lvl 9
  • terry1337
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shinsen wrote: »
    06402767-wtf.gif
    euhm very usefull this tnx....
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    You need to learn how to paint properly. There´s no shortcut, unfortunately. There´s a lot of resources on the Wiki, tcheck them out.
  • terry1337
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i get there aint no shortcut there is never one :P ok i will check it out tnx for a answer i can do something with :P
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    Check these resources, they are all great.

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1515379&postcount=170

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=88799

There are a lot of helpful things on Conceptart.org too.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7

And reinforcing what I said, the only way to improve is practice, post here, or in ConceptArt.org, get some feedback... and correct your work, post again, and so on.
    Good luck!
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    Hey Terry,

The model turned out great.

True the texture could be improved. The face is pretty decent, you really show some detail especially in the forehead and ears.

The major things I think need work:

1- contrast is low, there just isn't a lot of definitions of shapes.
    2- definition of shapes. The face, muscles and clothing all seem to be a bit lacking in proper forms (lines down from side of nose to side of mouth, arm and leg muscles aren't defined etc...)
    3-Top of wings is too dark. Probably good to some shadow of the character but it should be much less drastic, that side of it should be catching a lot of light.
    4- back of legs have a bright crease, should probably be dark.
    5- I don't think the base platform helps it at all, in fact I think it drags the model down. It's kind of ugly and low res, doesn't really 'fit' the model at all. Concentrate on the model, if you need a back drop I'd do something more like you'd see in the comic, he'd be flying around the corner of a building or something.
    (I gave same crit to someone else a few days ago, they had an airplane hovering above gravel...)

The model is great, I'd like to see you polish up the texture and have a nice finished piece.

What's up Shinsen? Please don't start spamming these forums with stupid post and unrelated gifs.
    You have a critique give it, other wise don't bother. This is Polycount not Reddit.
  • terry1337
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    really tnx for all the awesome advice i think i could use some help re unwrapping it i will post my unwrap i think it isnt the most best unwrap for this character any help?:S uvw.png
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    Not so bad. There some wasted spaces... But nothing so terrible, I think.
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    No problem,

It's not a terribad unwrap. Sometimes it's hard to get alot more efficient than that. Would be good to see the painted tex ext to it, easier to see what pieces are.

Have you tried the checker pattern technique?
    Bascially make a texture of small checkers and apply that to your model, it will show of inconsistancies in pixel density and stretching.
    So you can clean up your uv's really nicely before painting.

3DMax lets you apply a checker board in the uv tool, not sure what you're using.

Some stuff I can see. The face is almost as big as the body. I don't think it's bad to have extra res in the face, lots of small details and a 'close-up' area. But if the density is too far off it can be noticeable.
    (on the flip side things like underside of gloves/backside of ears could even be scaled down a hair)
    (speaking of backsides of ears, you can just wrap them around the front of ear, weld all the verts so you have fewer seams [fewer verts in game]. You'll get some wicked stretching, but it's pretty well hidden and small, will anyone notice?- same with hands, the edge along the pinky could be welded up and the hand would be one island)

You might want to just try uv mapping the entire face and making it same density, that way you can add unique details to one side of face (scars and whatnot)

The biggest 'offense' I see is the U shaped piece at the top, I suppose that's the belt. You can probably just straighten those pieces out into an even rectangle. If you don't have specific details like belt holes or buckles you won't notice stretching and it'll save a lot of space.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Maybe post your painted texture flat as well...?
    I think this is a solid start, but I think the texture as it stands now should serve as a rough color block-in for your final asset.
  • terry1337
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    here is the texture :) starting to study muscle flow anyone have some good reference for that?texturefinal.png
  • terry1337
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this also might help render2.png if you would like to do a paintover or something :)
    screenshot14w.png
  • Micah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Micah polygon
    Let me start by saying im NOT a pro (yet).

OK lets get started on the BASE first before moving into detail.

I put your image in photoshop and started color picking and noticed that your colors tend to be very close to each other. WHat I mean by this is that you're using the same hue but changing the value. This is fine, but the end result tends to be abit musshy (Which you don't want). What you want to do is change the hue abit while changing the value.

Example of what you are doing: As said above ^

scaled.php?server=825&filename=helpeen.jpg&res=landing

Example of what will give better results:

scaled.php?server=252&filename=helptwee.jpg&res=landing

Heres the paint over by its self:

scaled.php?server=194&filename=paintover.jpg&res=landing

I think the face needs to be edited with the ears being the same length as the head (maybe even longer) the noes needs to be pointy as the is a common feature of the green goblin with a evil smile.

I didnt spend time doing the eyes and teath, first get the form and value correct the move into the smaller details.

If I've not mentioned something, then that would sound about right XD

Hope this helps .

Micah
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    How about a paintover like this?
    terry1337_goblin_texedit.jpg
    (forgive me if this edit doesn't actually look better on the model, I'm kind of flying blind here)

I believe you need to be more daring, right now everything is one flat color and this makes things hard to read. You have some points where you have some baked/painted AO but it's all a bit meek. Try to not have small line parts like at the knees and elbows, but shadow actual shapes.

Oh and a simple trick is to always have a slight shadow at sleeves and such things. Adding some fake drop shadow or AO will make it feel more volumetric.

edit: between Micah and me, this should give you a good idea of where to start =P
  • terry1337
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    do you guys use any other programs for characters or just photoshop?
    btw tnx allot all of you this is really good advice
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Honestly, I love working at low resolutions so oftentimes I just use... MS Paint. But for this, it was photoshop, yes. As I start working more at higher resolutions (512²) I will use more photoshop, but I don't think I need any other software. (except specific things like xNormal to convert heightmaps to normals)
  • ericdigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ericdigital polycounter lvl 13
    terry1337 wrote: »
    do you guys use any other programs for characters or just photoshop?
    btw tnx allot all of you this is really good advice

I like using a combination of 3dcoat and photoshop for low res stuff
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    Photoshop + Zbrush, for projection.
  • xillyriax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xillyriax polycounter lvl 10
    I know you said texture skills, but the pose isn't reading well enough. Is he throwing the pumpkin bomb or catching it?
  • SanderDL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SanderDL polycounter lvl 7
    Some nice paint overs in this thread!

Another tip is to bake a light map for your model. It doesn't have to be anything fancy. Just a skylight + light tracer can give you some good effects already. Do put a plane under your model when baking. Here's an example:

example.jpg

You don't even have to use it in your final diffuse. It could also be great as a visual guide for where your strokes need to go.
  • terry1337
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tnx for all the awesome paintover and advice will start working on that starting to learn more and more about muscle structure because i nead to improve that to also improve my textures for characters when i have more progress i will post it :) tnx awesome community:)^^