Home Technical Talk

Edge flow or unwrapping? Problem UV mapping the complex hair...

dagoggles
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
dagoggles polycounter lvl 7
Hi, i am trying to finish this game model topology but having problems at the hair area. As you see on zbrush screens i have deep strokes on the hair part, and was curious how it was going to look like (after normal mapping ) if i had a round mesh retopologized at the hair area. So i decided to get hard corners and edges, and tried to get the overal shape in more detail in that hair area. But when UV mapping i am having problem getting a good one. Do you think hard edges and corners are causing this or is it the uneven sized polygons, hard edges and bad edge flow?

What is your suggestion on making the hair? I didnt detail the naked body on lower body, so i thought it would be useless to get the head retopped without the hair. I am trying to go one piece with every part of the body. ( Don't know if this is good for game engines and geo). So i am open to suggestions on makin the hair.
scaled.php?server=3&filename=head1ll.jpg&res=landing
scaled.php?server=189&filename=head2dk.jpg&res=landing
scaled.php?server=10&filename=head3uv.jpg&res=landing

Replies

• Butthair
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Butthair polycounter lvl 11
    If the topo follows the face well, you may be able to have a seam surrounding the face to unwrap it.
  • dagoggles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Do you mean that i should seperate the hair and the face? Since its low poly it wont be 100% perfect seperate i think.
  • respawnrt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    respawnrt polycounter lvl 8
    I think you have many tris that don't add to your silhouette, and for example that hair edge should need more tris for maintaining that curved silhouette, it is most proeminent in the front of the hair where you have that big patch of hair.But what do i know i'm no character artist :p
  • dagoggles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really dont know how it will look after normal mapping. I am trying to get a decent UV map to get to the texturing and normal mapping. You could be right. I will see about the normal map when i get the uv. I still cant figure out if the edge flow is good enough to get a good uv : /
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    I really dont know how it will look after normal mapping.
    It would be pretty quick to find out. Just do a bake with what you have and look at the results. Chances are the bake will compensate for a good part of the distortions (if they're even noticeable around the hair area). If they seem too stretched or warped, you could try using UV master, using the existing seams.