Home General Discussion

how much work a day do you guys...

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Rockley Bonner polycounter lvl 12
...put into self improvement of your portfolios, skills etc. I max out at 2-3 hours on weekdays and 4-6 on weekends, exept for the last week (all diablo 3) and depending on how much 2d/comic stuff I work on. Exept I feel that I am not improving fast enough. Obviously the obvious answer is obvious but how much work have you put into practicing. Specifically people that have broken into the industry (time spent to get there) and people who want to.

thanks!

Replies

• Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Selaznog polycounter lvl 8
    Well I'm in school right now and working on my demo reel, so I usually put between 8 and 14 hours a day. It's not healthy at all.
    And Sundays I have work so Saturday's my day off :P
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    short of food, exercise and a solid 8 of sleep, all of the hours.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    I improve skills at work whenever possible. Try to use new workflows, techniques when possible and share them with my team - easy for me though, I'm a team leader and it's my job to do that. Which is great though!

At home...maybe 3 to 4 hours in total from mon-fri, working on things that interest me, or tinkering on interesting problems I brought from work. Sometimes I spend an entire saturday or sunday just working on stuff - but then it's usually my own.

I hope I'm done with Diablo 3 soon though. Once I'm through with normal I'll uninstall it. Too much temptation and in a few years I'll be angry with myself for wasting my time with it (yup, that sounds harsh, but that's the truth) - playing Diablo 3 for weeks isn't really something you can put on your folio.
  • Tokoya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tokoya polycounter lvl 7
    As long as you can stay productive is the obvious answer. You have to balance that with job/school/spouse obviously but there is no real definitive number, its different for each individual.

Admittedly I only have freelance experience so I dunno if that counts as breaking into the industry...
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    Aside from stuff I've been doing at work, I really haven't been doing much in the way of personal enrichment over the past few months. Shit's crazy busy, yo.

That said, though, I'm constantly trying to do new things and experiment with various techniques when I'm at work. I'd say at least half my time at work is time spent experimenting and trying to refine my workflow so I work faster and more efficiently. For example, over the past four or five months I've been working to develop faster methods for creating textures by using baked lighting and edge selection in Photoshop to create masks, color tints and edge highlighting.

Honestly, I don't think I can get through a single day at work without learning something or improving my workflow somehow.
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Right now I'm working 8-9 hours a day, sleeping around 7. The rest of the day I try to make art. 2-3 hours a day isn't all that much when you get going. For me it's usually after work from 18.00-24.00. I wish I had more time to put into it.

Don't fret about it too much, resting is work too. Thinking through things, watching/reading tutorials while eating, on the can or sometime like that can save you time as well :P

One big thing is to analyze artwork, why they look good. Better understanding of the basics, diffuse, spec, normal maps etc. Once you gain a better understanding of what makes good art your own art and specifically your eye will be better. Thus you'll produce better stuff.
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Totally not enough. Lately all I do is play LoL and Diablo 3 outside of work... I guilt trip myself about it a lot too.

I research/experiment and learn a lot during the day at work but it's mostly all environment art related which isn't really what I want to focus on for my portfolio.

I'd love to be able to make small studies more often but I somehow always want to push things a bit further than a sketch but never all the way to completion so my work ends to an awkward phase. I also routinely find it challenging to get over the hump of finding a subject to draw/paint/sculpt then gathering reference. By the time I feel prepared to start I've wasted a lot of time.

One positive thing is that even though I am now in the industry and working on art all day, I have no trouble continuing after work without being sick of it (on the occasions when I do spend time on it).
  • R3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    Not as much as I should. That's for sure.
  • nathdevlin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nathdevlin polycounter lvl 12
    The answer to this question does vary. One thing I'll highlight is don't forget to live a little :) I find breaks away from doing work usually inspires me and lets me think through problems I may run in to.
    One big thing is to analyze artwork,
    I'll have to +1 Chris advice. The more artwork you study and games you play whilst analyzing them, why did they do this ? How did they do this ? It'll quickly help expand your knowledge and improve your critical eye and eventually your work.

To now answer the question I'll likely fit in 8-10 hours a week on personal stuff to keep sharp. A full time job and family the rest of the time keeps me on my toes.
  • moof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moof polycounter lvl 7
    not enough, but also enough.

Trying to manage a personal life and an art career is like flying the death star trench as drunk as you can get. It's all good till the turbo lasers stop firing, and you're having a hard time thumbing the stupid console thing.

'THANG DON WORK'

Try to get a few couple hours in a week, or at least an hour or two a day :poly142:
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    I find i have seasons where im free to do art and very motivated and other times where I just dont have time and am not motivated. I do art at work anyway so I feel Im learning tons from that alone. I find that often the difference between a good artwork and an amazing artwork is not skill, its just spending more time getting it right(though I suppose there is skill in that its just not some amazing genius superpower its just pure effort). Obviously as you get better at it you get faster.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    If I am working its 2-4 hours for a quick sketch or a sculpt.

If I am off I pretty much spend the entire day practicing sketching and all.
  • Del
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    1 hour every single weekday.
  • scotthomer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not enough at the moment unfortunately. 1-4 hours on a weekday if im lucky, 12-16 hours on a weekend.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    I work around 10 hours a day normally, and often work a day on weekend if there's a lot to be done. As a result, I probably do around 8-12 hours of personal work per month.
  • schneller
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    schneller polygon
    Roughly 8,760 hours per day (I have a hyperbolic time chamber at home).

Joking aside, 8-10 hrs at work average (probably about half actually doing art), just over 1.5 hrs total commute, time for food/exercise/hang out with my wife, and then about 3 hours of personal work before bed. I've tried to get into a routine of draw/paint/sculpt at least 1 hour each per night. I feel like each of those activities sharpens my senses in different ways.

Weekends, as much time as I can. I usually save any gaming until the weekend, but even then limit myself to no more than 3 hours per week. I've noticed in doing so I've had more time to catch up on some classic sci-fi novels.

Long answer short, you can always spend more time making art, but you have to balance out your life or you'll burn out/miss out on life. Just make sure the hours you do have to do art, you arn't just dicking around ;)
  • Skillmister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
    Not much recently. Feeling totally burnt out after finishing university.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I tend to do not too much in between freelance contracts so i can recover my energy.
    having said that I have been working a fair bit recently in between helping to look after my 2 year old daughter and shopping trips/playground etc

Before I ever got in to the industry ie just after graduating, I would work at least 8 hours a day.
  • Bruno Afonseca
    cholden wrote: »
    short of food, exercise and a solid 8 of sleep, all of the hours.

Similar case. 5.5 hours of sleep, friends/girlfriend time 2x a week, meals and short breaks. the rest of the time is werk werk werk
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    I never feel like I put in enough hours. Truth be told I probably do pretty well between all my freelance, work, and family activities. The main thing for me it comes down to is I really enjoy making art. So I try to find ways to maximize my time. Make art all day, draw all evening. I do barely play game now which is kind of funny since that's what initially drew me into the field. But for me making art>playing games.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    Once my 8 hour work day is done I dont do any at all. I find it way more important to balance my life with a social life and things besides sitting at the computer all day pushin verts. sometimes I feel bad about not doing personal work, and then I realize if I was to do art all the time, I would get insanely burned out.

I would rather put in a solid creative 8 at work then go home and go out with friends or go on a date or something. for me latley personal work has been just that, working on myself. either going to the gym, going out and learning to be way better at getting a girls number, or exploring the city and cool events, raising my self confidence and eating healthier.

Infact I would say my professional work has become better because of all those things, because i dont spend every ounce of energy a day thinking about 3d or sitting there clicking a mouse, so when I turn my attention to it at work, its like BOOM! ok awesome lets do this! and I feel refreshed.

edit: also, because I have become a lot more social and outgoing, I have found my interview skills have vastly improved. I dont get nervous any more and go into the interview and spend 90% of the time shootin the shit about games and the industry and showing them I know how to interact, am passionate and am not awkward. rather than talking about the finer points of modeling or little technical things.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    When your unemployed you have plenty of time, so I was doing all day, every day about 15 hours a day, just about give or take 2-3 hours. This was also true when I was employed, but add 3-5 hours to the 15...

Now:
    I dont do any at all. I find it way more important to balance my life with a social life and things besides sitting at the computer all day pushin verts.
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I probably put in 4-5 hours a day after working 8 hours, then as much time as I can on weekends...usually 8 hours or so a day.

I should add this argument though: It isn't about how many hours you throw at your portfolio, its the quality of those hours. I find myself more productive if I work a little bit less but I get more sleep and go for a walk or something every day. Thats something I'm still trying to balance personally.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If I'm lucky, I get 3-4 hours a week. Usually I only get 1-2 hours spare in which to do artwork at home.
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    I get home from work around 6. Spend the next 2-3 hours hanging out with my kids, eating dinner, and then put them to bed. After that I work on personal artwork from around 8/9 to 11.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    What would you consider practice?
    Because, i always have the same mentality, 'i Sucked yesterday, today i do better.'
    It's like going into a gym, you don't go in there one day and say, "shit, i should really practice lifting weights, whenever i have time."
    Same mentality with modelling; everyday i try to define another different art muscle.
  • stuART_3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stuART_3dee polycounter lvl 10
    Not much recently. Feeling totally burnt out after finishing university.

Don't worry dude. After graduating I took a month-half break from 3D. During that time I still thought about what my next project was going to be. It hit me rather quickly that I also needed a job so don't get too comfortable.

As for me, I've been working for the past year so I haven't devoted much time to personal portfolio work. I do find myself drawing more often though. If I do have something, I put in about 10+ hours a week. Again, you really do need that free time after work. I sometimes hate myself for turning on my computer after staring at a monitor for 8+ hours.
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    biofrost polycounter lvl 12
    I put in about 5-7 hours a day. of course I have not broken in so my portfolio is my job. I would imagine that once I get in it will go down to an hour or 2 a day. Need to balance everything else in my life( hobbies, my girl, sleep)

Plus I find once I hit a wall it's just best to stop no point in spending an hour looking at a screen doing nothing. Go play a game or go for a walk and come back to it later.
  • Pumpkin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just got a diploma in Animation. It sucks that all male citizens in my country has to serve the army for 2 years and I am just waiting for the letter now...most probably will forget all my skills in modeling and animation as well ):
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    I would rather put in a solid creative 8 at work then go home and go out with friends or go on a date or something. for me latley personal work has been just that, working on myself. either going to the gym, going out and learning to be way better at getting a girls number, or exploring the city and cool events, raising my self confidence and eating healthier.

Infact I would say my professional work has become better because of all those things, because i dont spend every ounce of energy a day thinking about 3d or sitting there clicking a mouse, so when I turn my attention to it at work, its like BOOM! ok awesome lets do this! and I feel refreshed.

totally agree with your standpoint, I love my work cause Im not burnt out and Im putting everything I can into it. Also when you invest time into your life(social,health etc) you will probably become more genuinely confident in who you are not just in interviews but in relationships and life in general because you are becoming a person you can be proud of in every way.
  • walreu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I put as many hours as i need to. It's not the count of hours that matters, it's what you do with the time thats important.

I agree with PixelMasher. I would rather do those things than model all day long. Sadly, i need to work on my portfolio, look for a job and do my freelance stuff to pay bills so im bit out of free time..
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    I try and do at least 30/60minutes of self learning a day.
  • Chimp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimp interpolator
    If I have no personal plans, once work is over I'll generally be trying some art experiments and general scribbles.
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    When I was in school, 30 hours a week on my art stuff. Now in my work place, work time is detrmined if Im excited with what im working on or im behind. So it ranges between 8-15 hours a day.