Home Technical Talk

Help to setup a LOGO import from Illustrator

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
Hi I have realized a illustrator logo exported from a PSD file , then I imported in 3dsmax and added a bevel modifier , refined with a graphite tool quadrify over an edit poly and finally imported in zbrush , but since the model has not all quads I do not get an even distribution and as well I do not have a even smoothing ....

so how can I do without loosing tons of hours by editing one by one each vertex and polygon , to have an even quadrified import?

here is a picture of the import ....

25979444.jpg

Replies

• Butthair
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Butthair polycounter lvl 11
    First off, with something like this I'm curious what you're using it for? How is this going to be seen? Is it an ingame model, are you using this to create a normals or maybe a mask?

As far as getting quads, there are a few techniques, some are a bit tedious to explain, but, a few faster ideas would be:

- If you could project the design over top a plane with a large amount of divisions, that would essentially make it quaded (zBrush might be a better alternative in this case)

- Because the shapes are different sizes and forms, quading it perfectly can be a nightmare. Before bevel/extrusion (i.e. it's still a plane form) optimize it, modifiers have the helpful use of being toggleable to see a more final outcome.

Also, I've been told that you can import and export curves and shapes between Illustrator and Max/Maya. I believe there is a dedicated format too. (.ai, I believe?). You say this has come through photoshop, so it might actually be more optimal by importing it that way.

Although, this is just speculation.
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    What I want it for is just as Loading screen logo , eill have a gold / stoney look ,

I tried going in manuyally but is really tedious work and it gives out an uneven distribution of quads that leaves with problems when detailing in zbrush ...

I then decided to use a uvmapped cilinder and over the top place a displacement mask from the original psd file , but the result is a non void objects in the interpieces ....

Otherwise there is a way to create those voids in Zbrush?
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    i would just put it in zb as it is, and dynamesh it.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    I'd like to see a good solution as well. I had problems with this at work/home and had to use Lightwave.
  • chenyi000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I tried going in manuyally but is really tedious work and it gives out an uneven distribution of quads that leaves with problems when detailing in zbrush ...hardware.gif
  • respawnrt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    respawnrt polycounter lvl 8
    Something like this ?Blender rmesh, but i have a feeling is exactly like zbrush dynamesh as passerby said.
    jlsPS4qPePzh9.png
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Oh if I redynamesh it I would be fine with the sculptong detail? And thenuse the 3dsmax version as low poly model?
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    respawnrt wrote: »
    Something like this ?Blender rmesh, but i have a feeling is exactly like zbrush dynamesh as passerby said.
    jlsPS4qPePzh9.png

ya there more or less the same thing, i just find zb's dynamesh works a lot better, and you can also easily do a projectall after the fact from the old object, if it dosnt get all the detail the first time.
  • JamesWild
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesWild polycounter lvl 8
    Why not do it cleanly from the get-go? It's not hugely complex, export as an image, put in your viewport background, add a plane, add a turbosmooth modifier, and trace the curves by eye being mindful of keeping the ratios right. I've done this with UI concept art before, doesn't take long because the shapes are there and if you go to your turbosmooth and hit the show result button then go back down to your edit poly you can see the curves forming in realtime with your low poly appearing as an orange outline.

If you're just gonna rough it up and put rock texture on it in ZBrush even doing a very loose trace that doesn't capture the little details would be close enough.
  • Pola
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pola polycounter lvl 6
    Was it built from curves that came from the illustrator file? Pretty sure you can rebuild the curves in the 3d package to have an even distribution of points which'd give you the result your after?