Home Technical Talk

Wierd unwrap UVW problem in 3DS max

Hi... I am new on this forum and came here just because I have encountered unsolvable problem with UVW unwraping.
Ive done this process a lot of times before but this time I have major problem.

Ill try to describe problem:

I have facade of building, with multiple objects attached as one (wall, windows, window glass....)

uvw1.jpg

When I try to unwrap it with "Box" and align it, bounding box of unwrapper is off center (skewed) and cant find way to fix it.

uvw2y.jpg

If object (thing beneath every window )is Detached like in next photo and UVW unwrap is applied with "Box", same thing happens:

uvw3.jpg

Whole building is built from rotated box because i had to match everything to camera (Im using photo as reference).
Had some bounding box issues in process that couldnt be fixed with "reset Xform" but only with script (which crates box using autogrid on object with bounding box problem and aligns its bounding box with with one of the box created - as I could understand it :) )

I have deadline so I need help soon as possible. I could send *.max file if someone could help with it.

(sorry for bad english)

Replies

• Steppenwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steppenwolf polycounter lvl 15
    I would unwrap each object individualy by hand _before_ i copy it around. Your facade looks too complex to get any usefull uvmap by simply box mapping it anyway.
  • madrigal2000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im aware of that, but problem is same with separate objects. I attached all objects together to see if problem persists with box UVW. If I do everything by hand i wont finish project till 2013 :P

This facade is only 1/5 of front side of 1/5 buildings

I am planing of unwrapping separate objects because I have exterior/interior walls and generally lots of stuff (Im planning to render everything in glass material with vray)
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    Have you tried planar in front viewport with align to view? In the uv editor you'll scale the gizmo so that the checkers are square and then using select by element, you'll be able to grab the individual windows if you want to unwrap them further.
  • madrigal2000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i have tried all of them.... I cant do view align because the position of object is not aligned with view. Actually I cant do any kind of align, not even with different parts selected!

I NEED HELP ASAP!
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    Your transformation matrix is fucked up.
    Is your object rotated in the world ? You need to get it aligned to the world axis then apply a Reset Xform.
    If ever you've reseted xform after the rotation and have no longer the initial angle, you could snap an object to a face with autogrid to get the angle.
  • madrigal2000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounding boxes are all ok but the problem is bugged UVW unwrapper. I got solution on other forum to detach one windows and unwrap it then copy it few times.
    Wierd thing is, when I had single window, UVW align was still off axis but after copying windows, wielding vertices between them and again detaching one window I have regular aligment in UVW.
  • Rainyn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Certainly if you are going to make something like this that has repeating elements you would want to unwrap the elements that repeat before you copy them around. In the unwrap they will all be stacked on top of each other, so normally you would select all of the repeating elements and drag them 1 unit off the texture square while leaving the original in place in the square. By one unit, I mean they are off to the side (up, down, left or right it doesn't matter) in the exact position the original is in relative to the texture (it repeats in all directions).
  • madrigal2000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I cant do repeating texture because every part of the building/every window has different normal map. It is old building so it has a lot of wear on it.
    Also, diffuse map is different so as I see it, my only way is to unwrap one window, copy it few times, align them so there are no intersections and group them, align UVW map for whole floor. But I think that Ill have problems with seams on intersections so I dont know if I should wield vertices between windows after aligning. Will that destroy baked UVW map on every window?

p.s. i am familiar with UVW crap but never had big project like this, its whole street with 7 buildings including interiors.