Home Technical Talk

Blendshapes or bone based facial rig?

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
melviso polycounter lvl 10
hello guys..I really want to thank u gys for all the help I have gotten here.

I finally understand rigging to about 80 percent.I wanna ask about facial rigging.I am thinking of using blendshapes which I completely understand..I also understand how to use bones to rig a face.I am thinking facial rigging with bones gives better performance and u are not restricted as blendshape will involve a lot of vertices moving around and might be restrictive.
I am wondering if games now can use blendshapes and curves/clusters.i think UDK supports blendshapes now?What I am working on isn't for a game though but it would be nice to learn methods that improve animation performance especially during playback when animating or when the scene is heavy.

Thanks

Replies

• monster
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    Either method is acceptable. Morph targets use less CPU/GPU. But bones use less memory. I've used both methods in game development. Since your project isn't for a game use what you are comfortable with.

I typically use bones to make the morph targets. So personally I would just stick with that. You are also free to update geometry without worrying about recreating several morph targets.