Home Technical Talk

Is Sandbox works the same as Udk with light maps?

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
iceman30 polycounter lvl 6
Hello Fiends,i would like to ask you a question.I know it could sound silly but i was just wondering Is Sandbox works the same way with light maps(second uv Chanel as Udk)?

Thank you for your respond.

Replies

• iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
    There is no lightmapping in CryEngine2/3.
  • iceman30
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you so much :0)
    So is that mean the Cry engine is 1000 times easy to import meshes without have trouble resolving issues with seams and shadows problems if is compared with Udk?

Kindly waiting for your respond.
  • Olli.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Olli. polycounter lvl 8
    i've never had any seams or problems resulting from lighting in cryengine 3.

thats not to say CE3 isnt without problems
  • Xendance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xendance polycounter lvl 7
    Only thing that uses some kind of lightmap in Cry Engine is the terrain. You can calculate a "sky accessibility texture" for it, which is basically an AO map.
  • iceman30
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the answer :0).I'm using Udk since almost 2 years and those light maps and seams most of the time are just pain in....What you mean about CE3 problems could you be more specific ? Because i think if don't spend lot of my time fixing seams and light issues,if just modeling meshes and they work in CE3 with charm the level design will be fun.
    Please waiting for your respond.
  • Olli.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Olli. polycounter lvl 8
    i was just saying that even though CE3 excels over UDK in some things, it has its own problems.
  • iceman30
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
    iceman30 wrote: »
    Thanks for the answer :0).I'm using Udk since almost 2 years and those light maps and seams most of the time are just pain in....What you mean about CE3 problems could you be more specific ? Because i think if don't spend lot of my time fixing seams and light issues,if just modeling meshes and they work in CE3 with charm the level design will be fun.
    Please waiting for your respond.

Main problems I see about Ce3 right now are:
    1. Very outdated terrain system. Hopefully it will be replaced ASAP.
    2. No support for multi uv channel on meshes
    3. Lack of node material editor. I do not expect shader editor by any means. But nodes with access to RGBA channels, with basic math operations (lerp, multi, add).

It's not something you can't get over. And IMO All time real time, just outweighs any cons.
  • iceman30
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks :0).That really helps me.Because i was thinking to give a goal with CE3 but especially 2 and 3 :0( i'll not feel comfortable.
    Still is 1000 times better if don't have to fixing seams but...
    Thank you very much. :0) :0) :0)