Home General Discussion

Question : The Ideal Portfolio - The Do's and Don'ts

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Baron Flame polycounter lvl 12
Hey guys,
I’ve spent the past 3 years in an ‘animation’ institute. Granted that I did learn something, from the basic to the not-so-basic stuff but for the past year ever since my old instructor left(Last of the best that left) and the new one came I’ve realized that everything’s becoming (more or less) stagnant and no matter how long I stay this is going to get me nowhere. So after giving it some thought I’ve come to terms with the fact that I’ve got to start afresh ( Not that I’d start with the blasted course all over again). I’ve always been a firm believer in making a portfolio as you study and I’ve got some work to show but what I’ve got so far is of mediocre level. This question might be noob-ish in nature but I’d rather ask it and have myself laughed at than not ask it and regret it later simply because I didn’t want everyone to have a good laugh.

What should an ideal 3D portfolio contain or more specifically what should an environment artist’s /character artist’s portfolio contain?
Or

The Do’s and Don’ts, when it comes to a 3D portfolio ( Specific to the above mentioned categories).

While I do know the rudimentary answer to that question I’d like you treat me like a newbie so that I don’t miss out any bit of info that I can get my hands on.

-Thanks

Replies

• Chimp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimp interpolator
    Hey,

These are some general points that I think will be of use:

- You want it to be minimal on design- we don't want to wade through a hundred pages going backward and forward looking at your art.

- Remember that your art is the focus. You don't want a splash page and anything that will get in the way- you want no 'barrier to entry'. The work needs to be up front and central.

- You will be judged on your worst piece of work, don't put a load of filler in- put your best pieces. A few great pieces are better than a hundred mediocre ones.

- Make your contact information easily visible.

The best thing I can suggest is to get started on it and post here, I am sure that everyone here will be happy to give you pointers and critique as you go. You won't get it first time but you will be able to refine it and perfect it :)

Good luck!

Giuseppe
  • Del
  • AlexLeighton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I actually have a really good write up somewhere which I'll post if I find it, but basically you want to avoid things that have been done a billion times before (big boobed amazon warriors, post apocalyptic scenes and space operas come to mind), that is unless you have some super original twist on the theme.

Make sure you're only showcasing your best work too, it's better to have only a handful of really good pieces than a lot of mediocre ones. And make the portfolio simple and to the point, your goal is to get someone in, show them your work, and get them out again as quickly as possible. It can be really tempting to have some flashy entry screen or a flash website with lots of transitions and music and stuff, but don't do that, it won't impress people, it'll just annoy them.
  • Ex-Ray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ex-Ray polycounter lvl 12
    What should an ideal 3D portfolio contain or more specifically what should an environment artist’s /character artist’s portfolio contain?

Generally speaking it should:

- Clearly identify of what type of artist they are based on the content
    - Finished works
    - Real time renders
    - Breakdown of your work with details
    - Demonstrate an understanding of efficient 3D modelling
    - Demonstrate an understanding of efficient texturing/materials
    - Demonstrate an understanding of current workflows in the industry
    - Demonstrate an understanding of art theory
    - Interesting subjects
    - Show's some variety in skills and abilities but have clear underlined strength in key areas.

Although what I wrote is a list you can cover all of that in just 2 projects.
  • McGreed
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Selaznog polycounter lvl 8
    "I actually have a really good write up somewhere which I'll post if I find it, but basically you want to avoid things that have been done a billion times before (big boobed amazon warriors, post apocalyptic scenes and space operas come to mind), that is unless you have some super original twist on the theme."

Is this really a big deal? I've heard from a lot of people that the recruiters aren't judging on your ability to be creative, just to be good.
  • Del
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    Selaznog wrote: »
    Is this really a big deal? I've heard from a lot of people that the recruiters aren't judging on your ability to be creative, just to be good.

Try reviewing 300 portfolio's that all contain a marine, a crate, and a handgun and then see how you feel about an artist who brings something fresh to the table.
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Selaznog polycounter lvl 8
    Del wrote: »
    Try reviewing 300 portfolio's that all contain a marine, a crate, and a handgun and then see how you feel about an artist who brings something fresh to the table.

Good point. Thanks
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    sometimes I get a feeling recruiters don't even look at your resume or portfolio, they just want to get a pool of people and shotgun blast them at every studio they can - I get contacted by recruiters that say "hey I saw your portfolio, I have a client that's doing a AAA, next gen, military shooter and you'd be a perfect fit" you mean my portfolio full of stylized, hand-painted medieval fantasy art?
  • yodude87
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yodude87 polycounter lvl 5
    sometimes I get a feeling recruiters don't even look at your resume or portfolio, they just want to get a pool of people and shotgun blast them at every studio they can - I get contacted by recruiters that say "hey I saw your portfolio, I have a client that's doing a AAA, next gen, military shooter and you'd be a perfect fit" you mean my portfolio full of stylized, hand-painted medieval fantasy art?

lol