Home General Discussion

Tris count vs topology

Hi there!!!

I'm new at polycount, and my first thread is to ask for your advice.

I'm modeling a helicopter, intended to be for high-end consoles. It is a requisite to get a job, and I must show this working in the engine (UDK), showing the fps.

I can finish it in two way, in both of them would look almost the same, with the maps applied:

1.- Keep it low triangle count, wich means not an ugly, but not nice topology (about 12,000 tris, aprox. (no interiors).

2.- Take care also of the topology, in order to show that I can keep modeling almost with quads and good flows. 15,000 tris, aprox. (no interiors).

For example, this is a blog where the guy shows the best way to close cylinders. Looks very clean, but increase the poly count considerably:

http://blog.whiteblaizer.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/sdm04_08.gif

He says is the best way to work for UV Maps... Is thath true?

What should I do?

I'd appreciate the advice from both: pros and novs.

Replies

• Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    its a static mesh, if your tris don't add to shape or help you texturing, remove them. movietype clean topology is nothing you need for games. For deformable objext topology is important but not really for static meshes.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Topology really only matters if it's an animated/deforming mesh. With a helo, it shouldn't really matter. The lower the count can be while still retaining enough information for silhouette and good normal bakes, the better.

Once you bake out normals, don't futz with the edges or else you'll start having issues.

The cylinder in question there is a HP mesh. You wouldn't close a LP mesh like that. Here's a great old example:

byf2_figure5.jpg

Figure A terminates triangle stripping, which leads to worse performance. Figure B however, enables tri-stripping to continue across the entire surface, making performance better.
  • JonathanLambert
    Offline / Send Message
    JonathanLambert polycounter lvl 6
    Do you have a triangle budget for the asset? I doubt 3K triangles are going to bust your frame rate. Generally, I try to keep all quads for easier editing, and then once I am done with the model, I see where I can get rid of some more polys while maintaining the silhouette.
  • kw71
    Thanks for your quick reply, all of you!!

Joshua Stubbles. Thanks for that information. Now I'm reading about triangle strips. Is there some page with some other information about the best way to model for games?

I have a looooot to learn...

Jonathan, I don't have a triangle budget, but based on what Neos and Joshua said, i guess I'm goin to use tris to improve shape, instead of topology.

P.D. What "futz" means? I'm not native english speaker, and I can't find the word.
  • r_fletch_r
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    kw71 wrote: »
    P.D. What "futz" means? I'm not native english speaker, and I can't find the word.

dont change them, thats not the exact translation but futz isnt a real word :). its like saying dont fuck with them, or dont mess with them.

that capping method is neat but its verging on the side of OCD, the nGon was perfectly functional and would bake exactly the same.
  • David-J
    Offline / Send Message
    David-J polycounter lvl 11
    Like people have said. Topology matters mostly for animated objects but you should always have clean topology no matter what. For static objects you need clean topology mostly for shading purposes.

Also post some screenshots if you need more accurate advice.
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    kw71 wrote: »

futz/fəts/
    Verb:
    Waste time; idle or busy oneself aimlessly: "mother futzed around in the kitchen".
    Deal with (something) in a trifling way; fiddle with. In this context it means don't move any edges or points after baking.
  • kw71
    Thanks to all for your reply!