Home General Discussion

Final year project - I need you!

W3ll0n
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
W3ll0n polycounter lvl 6
Hey guys!
I'm in my final year at university and for my main project I am doing a small investigation into video games and their relationship with players. I would really appreciate it if you could take 2-5minutes of your time to fill out my survey!

Survey Link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/YR6T8TH

Thanks a lot!

Replies

• MiAlx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MiAlx polycounter lvl 10
    Once in a while I can't control the urge to strike another person.

I have become so mad that I have broken things.

Given enough provocation, I may hit another person.
    I really don't like where this is going. Trying to connect personality disorders and playing games (with or without violence) with surveys never ends well.. Even if someone seems to have, for instance, paranoid schizophrenic disorder you can't simpy assume that he really has it. You need a thorough face to face psych evaluation to determine disorders.

Are you aware of Hare's psychopathy checklist (Hare's PCL-S)? It is commonly used to determine if someone is a psychopath. I'm sure if you applied it to your survey results, a number of people will be diagnosed to be that. This doesn't mean that they really are psychopaths. And then this doens't mean that they play violent games because they are, or they became psychopaths because they played violent games.

I filled out your survey but be aware that your conclusion from it's result may be very contextual. :)
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    wasnt there a survey like that few months ago around polycount?
  • Bibendum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, made by the same person.
  • W3ll0n
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    W3ll0n polycounter lvl 6
    MiAlx wrote: »
    I really don't like where this is going. Trying to connect personality disorders and playing games (with or without violence) with surveys never ends well.. Even if someone seems to have, for instance, paranoid schizophrenic disorder you can't simpy assume that he really has it. You need a thorough face to face psych evaluation to determine disorders.

Are you aware of Hare's psychopathy checklist (Hare's PCL-S)? It is commonly used to determine if someone is a psychopath. I'm sure if you applied it to your survey results, a number of people will be diagnosed to be that. This doesn't mean that they really are psychopaths. And then this doens't mean that they play violent games because they are, or they became psychopaths because they played violent games.

I filled out your survey but be aware that your conclusion from it's result may be very contextual. :)

I appreciate the heads up and I agree that its difficult to define the 'cause and effect', its the main problem with survey's. Thanks for filling it out though :)
  • W3ll0n
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    W3ll0n polycounter lvl 6

Yeah, I did, and a few people had a problem with the last one so I adjusted it. There is a difference but what difference I cannot say as it would affect the results.
    It's a lot shorter than the last one, so I would appreciate you fill it out for us.

Cheers!
  • Jason Young
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jason Young polycounter lvl 14
    The questions don't seem to fit their intended topic. I don't see much that relates to videogames and their relationship with players. Feels more like videogames and their effect on anger/violence which is a played out topic at this point. This is a good opportunity to ask questions that haven't been asked before and get creative.
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matroskin polycounter lvl 11
    I feel soo agressive after playing a shooter game, can barely controll myself... Man, I wish I could have a gun and go start shooting ppl, just like in a videogame (irony...)
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    war's like a game anyways, just with better graphics !!! did you know you run faster with a knife, too ?
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    BOOM HEADSHOT BOOM HEADSHOT BOOM HEADSHOT
  • BlvdNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BlvdNights polycounter lvl 8
    oh hi preconceived notions! Nice to see you.
  • PhattyEwok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PhattyEwok polycounter lvl 9
    This survey makes me sooo mad RAWWRRRRRRRRGHGRHGHRGHGHR. I just want to pick up a firearm and shoot the hell out of my friends and family just like in Call of Duty. Boom Headshot is right. Wish I had a killcam
  • Moosey_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your survey seems to be missing the entire categories of combat games like RTS/TBS combat.

A few questions though:

1.What is the difference between "bloody violence" and "gore"?

2.If you're going to specify hand and weapon combat, why not vehicle or environment combat?

3.When does negligible violent content turn into "no violent content"; or conversely when does noticeable violent combat become "extreme violent content?"

4.How do questions 6 and 7 relate to the survey content?

I don't quite think surveys alone are the reason why cause and effect are difficult to determine, after all, it's just a list of questions. It's the questions themselves that matter, no? That's like excusing the act of asking questions as being the reason one cannot find answers. Seems a bit ridiculous once one thinks about it.

Abductive logic doesn't work because it doesn't allow you don't ask all the questions or gather all the data (or at least only works if your intention was to pigeonhole data into something that fit a preconceived notion.)

Also overtly sexual themes seem to have been neglected? I mean, if we're going to bypass use of inductive logic wholesale.

If this is your main project for your final year, I'd put a bit more thought into it.
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    Also overtly sexual themes seem to have been neglected? I mean, if we're going to bypass use of inductive logic wholesale.

hehe that would be a cool survey. "do extremely sexual computergames make you fap"
  • W3ll0n
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    W3ll0n polycounter lvl 6
    Moosey_G wrote: »
    Your survey seems to be missing the entire categories of combat games like RTS/TBS combat.

A few questions though:

1.What is the difference between "bloody violence" and "gore"?

2.If you're going to specify hand and weapon combat, why not vehicle or environment combat?

3.When does negligible violent content turn into "no violent content"; or conversely when does noticeable violent combat become "extreme violent content?"

4.How do questions 6 and 7 relate to the survey content?

I don't quite think surveys alone are the reason why cause and effect are difficult to determine, after all, it's just a list of questions. It's the questions themselves that matter, no? That's like excusing the act of asking questions as being the reason one cannot find answers. Seems a bit ridiculous once one thinks about it.

Abductive logic doesn't work because it doesn't allow you don't ask all the questions or gather all the data (or at least only works if your intention was to pigeonhole data into something that fit a preconceived notion.)

If this is your main project for your final year, I'd put a bit more thought into it.

It's great that you've spotted I missed RTS/TBS, however I have given the respondent the option to type in the 'other' box....

answers:
    1.so for example the player shoots the enemy, blood squirts out or splatters walls,etc. Gore, body parts start flying off.....Not all games feature character models that can be destroyed or disfigured, therefore I would consider 'bloody violence' and 'gore' two different things. Take Halo and Gears Of War, both feature violence, however they are different as there is a lot more gore present in Gears Of War.

I assumed that an individual would be able to tell that 'gore' is a step-up from 'bloody violence' however I was careless in that assumption.

2.Vehicles are vehicles until you mount/install a weapon on it. A tank, is a vehicle with a cannon on it, a weapon.

3. I asked the respondent "in your opinion" how violent is the content of their specified video games.

4. It helps in providing me with more information.

I have put thought into it, a lot more than how it may seem at this moment in time, but thank you for the feedback, and highlighting the confusion caused by my wording with questions 1 and 2!

I'd like to encourage everyone to continue filling out the questionnaire!
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    W3ll0n wrote: »
    I assumed that an individual would be able to tell that 'gore' is a step-up from 'bloody violence' however I was careless in that assumption.

I don't know why you need our opinions if you're smarter than all of us. :thumbup:
  • BlvdNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BlvdNights polycounter lvl 8
    This thread is an example of how it be nice to have a "like" button for each post in the forum.
  • Pancakes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pancakes polycounter lvl 10
    I don't like the questions on this survey. They seem odd and inhuman. Also there are too many numbers (1-7), which makes the grading a lot more ambiguous. My 4 might be someone else's 6.

I think 3 options or 4 at most would be better.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BlvdNights wrote: »
    This thread is an example of how it be nice to have a "like" button for each post in the forum.

And our new bacon thread (is it a sticky yet?)

Whatever forum tech runs this website http://www.boards.ie/ has a 'Thanks' system which is pretty nice.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    seems kinda like asking questions to get the desired result.

also why do none of these surveys looks at contact sports, there still games and have been people have been know to show extreme amounts of aggression, while playing them.

also causes, maybe the videos games or sports is just a release for anger and aggression, and not a cause.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby wrote: »
    seems kinda like asking questions to get the desired result.

Sounds a lot like his last survey.
  • Tim270
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tim270 polycounter lvl 6
    Ehhh I also feel like this is a set of multiple loaded questions.
    7. Which video games frustrate you the most and why?
    Questions like this just make me feel like you are waiting for me to type something along the lines of ' I get frustrated by most games as I cant kill the players at other end of their screen, I want to eat their heart infront of them and shower in their blood'

When nearly all my frustrations from games would be from players not knowing the game or a bad ui/buggy game.

Dont get me wrong, I get what you are trying to get at from people but I honestly think you could have done it in a way more subtle way. For example built a game that gives you choices, maybe build two parallel levels in a game and the only difference is the gore, see how many people choose to play with more gore, guts etc monitor heart rates from that. Idk, that actually sounds pretty terrible and flawed after typing it but I feel it is a better way to go about finding such things.