Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sci-fi Door

Hello Polycount

My first highpoly modelling for learning highpoly. From using tutorial I made it.
I am open to all suggestions.
(sorry my english is beginner level.)
High+Polygon+Sci-Fi+Door+3.jpg

High+Polygon+Sci-Fi+Door.jpg

Replies

• Tidus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Try giving the door a more interesting concept; make it assimetrical. Normally, these things have to be made so that the weakest point (the seam made between the doors) is not in the center, which is where most impacts would be made.

Think what the door would need if it was real. Ask yourself what it is for. A corridor? A cargo port? These things change the concept. If it's for a corridor, it has to be resistant, shouldn't let fire out, but shouldn't be extremely heavy. Maybe big enough to make it drivable with forklifts or things like that.

Right now, the things I see disonant here are the design, that is duplicated twice (giving the impression of that the door is made of panels, instead of a whole object), and the lock cylinders. The door looks heavy enough to not need these. The modelling is really good, so won't you have any problems developing a badass design.
  • Lephenix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lephenix polycounter lvl 6
    Hehe i see Disting's door design he did in his brainstorming video.
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gilesruscoe polycounter lvl 10
    Hey man, its looking good so far.
    I can't help feel that the door is missing a lot of functional stuff. It looks to me like the door is designed to swing open but it also looks heavy, so some kind of robotic/hydraulic opening system would be cool. Like what has already been meantioned, the door itself needs to have more interest to it, extruding it out from the wall and adding some interesting lights and panels to it could make it more pleasing to look at.
    Seeming as you are making the door a focal point of the scene, i think you need to work on the scale of the scene to help things mesh together. You could add some light highlighting the door and maybe have some volumetric fog dulling the rest of the room.

Paint over:
    env%20paintover.jpg

Edit: Just re-read first post and realised its your first highpoly model, i guess this is looking okay for a first highpoly, your edges seem fine in most places and should bake well. If you are looking to develop the scene though my crits still stand :)
  • GragGunslinger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GragGunslinger polycounter lvl 7
    I think the big rectangular insets into the door are not going to bake well, the edges of them are a little too sharp.

the cross beams on those doors look good though they should bake fin. It's hard to see some of the detail up top due to the emissive on the door, but those look a little too shallow as well.

Overall, good job, just try and keep your edges a little looser so they don't get lost.

Keep it up!
  • ridvancakir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tidus : thank you. this suggestions are very helped me. I will give that attention to the issue of the idea and concept.
    giles ruscoe : I understand your concern. I think my work needs some detail on you.
    graggunslinger : Thank you for your suggestions. I will check your attention as soon as possible.
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wiktor polycounter lvl 11
    Cool to see someone watched my brainstorming video! :)
    For your first high poly it definitely looks good!
    The edges look soft enough and the angles look fine.

One thing I noticed is that the edges of the door doesn't really connect to the adjacent walls, but I'm guessing you haven't started working on them yet.

Keep it up!
  • ridvancakir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you Disting :) for comment and suggestion.