Home Technical Talk

UVing Cylinders Question

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Ken Bock polycounter lvl 7
I am currently working a school project and while uving I came across and issue that I could use some advice on.

I have this cylinder that I am trying to UV only the top end is wider then the bottom and I'm trying my best to avoid any stretching or distortion for when i go to texture.

I attached 3 images below for the 3 different ways I tried, if any one knows the the best one to choose or a better way to do it, please let me know.

I feel like I might be over analyzing this to much, but to have a good answer would help me out greatly. haha

1) I think im going to go with the first one, only thing is that It might be hard to texture across but not nearly as hard as the next one.

cylinder_01.jpg

2) This one doesn't really have any distortion but the texture on each face is going in all directions. This I think would work just be a pain to texture.

cylinder_02.jpg

3) Finally i did just a straight planer projection which has a lot of distortion in it so I don't think would be the best route to go.

cylinder_03.jpg

Replies

• Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    You left out unwrapping it to a ribbon - like the first image but with all the vertical seams welded, so you get a strip - this has distortion issues but is the easiest to paint.

There is no easy-to-paint, distortionless option - I would never use your first, but I bounce between the ribbon method, the flat project method (3), and the unfold method (2) based on whether I need a lack of distortion or an ease of painting - if the cylinder is more of a flat ring and less cylindrical, I'd use 3 over the ribbon method.
  • Ken Bock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ken Bock polycounter lvl 7
    Awesome, that worked great.

Thanks a bunch!
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    i would do the first 1 and weld the edges together, than straighten it out to a strip.

bit if distortion, but worth it since it;s easier to work with, and better use of texture space.