Home General Discussion

Physical (and not so physical) Locations for Networking within the Game Industry

This past weekend, I attended the Spectrum Fantastic Art gathering that took place in Kansas City, MO to support my fiancee during her portfolio review process. There she met with Jeremy Cranford (Blizzard), Jon Schindehette (WotC), and Irene Gallo (Tor Books). The convention held top-tier talent to be sure. Just being there, inspired me to further consider my own networking possibilities within the games industry...

Lately, I've been trying to network through art sites (such as PC :)) and LinkedIn. However, I still feel like this is not enough. In terms of showing up in a physical location and meeting face-to-face, Where lies the best opportunity for this? In a thread I made prior to this one a while back, I discovered that the best way certainly is not to drive up to a studio of interest to introduce yourself onsite and drop off your materials for them to catalogue. Would the Game Developers Conference be the place for optimal networking and possible opportunities within the video game industry, or something else entirely different or in addition to?

Replies