Home General Discussion

Using UDKs default levels to present work

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
barnesy polycounter lvl 9
Hey guys,

I was wondering if I would be able to use UDK's default environments to show one of my assets in context for my portfolio? Or would it be frowned upon?

I was also planning on having pics and a turntable of the asset on its own

Replies

• cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    If you're referring to the default lighting, midday, night, etc. people use them all the time. It's not uncommon. Just be sure to state in your portfolio it's the default scene, even though anyone with a brain will know automatically.
  • barnesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    barnesy polycounter lvl 9
    haha thanks.

droneUDK2.png

I was referring to the actual levels that are included with UDK like the Deck etc. I was going to put to place it within a actual level and state that all of the assets other than mine were owned by Epic etc
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    I would avoid it personally. Since the example above is simple, you could make your own? At least then you don't have to credit them.

Nice model by the way. I just hope that isn't the presentation as it doesn't stand out. My eyes focus on the background more.
  • Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley polycounter lvl 13
    I guess you probably can. But it'd be more impressive if you created a little background/plinth for your models.
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    You could create an environment for just presenting your portfolio, while being part of the portfolio itself, maybe have a couple different types, so if you have cartoony characters, would wouldn't use your grunge sci-fi realistic environment.

I need to do this myself, but want to get some work done first for it.
  • BradleyWascher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradleyWascher polycounter lvl 13
    There is nothing wrong with what your doing here, I would call it out like you said, but as long as your not showing large unreal level shots and your model is tucked in the corner its so different then when multiple artist work on a level and make call outs to what they added to the scene.
  • SA_22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    from the pictures you posted i would say it takes away from your model.. not just that its in the udk level, but i dont feel that in this instance a complicated background works.. if you where to make a full scene and have the model in there as part of the overall image then yea fine.. but i think something like this needs a simple background to make it the focal point of the image.