Home Technical Talk

Working with tilable with limited textures

Hi everyone!
I am having a some trouble cause i cannot figure this one thing out..
If i had to create this scene (random image i found on googe images): http://i.neoseeker.com/ca/crysis_conceptart_XqmbW.jpg

as a low poly game scene, but was limited to the number of texture maps.. how would i texture the terrain? I always used a tillable texture but in this case i would not have the luxury to waste one entire texture just for the terrain cause there are alot of props and other stuff going on in the image that would need the valuable texture space.
Flattening the map and using the entire texture would just make a very low rez texture.. although it would make for some unique details.. but it would end up looking a blurry mess i think.
The other option i thought of was to face map the textures but that would not work great cause then the geometry could not be too subdivided.

So what is a work around this.. how to create a good looking texture for the entire terrain knowing that it has to share texture space with other assets?

Any help would be apreciated.

Replies

• Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    jesus... what kind of texture budget are you working with?
  • M1KES
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    6 textures.. but that includes diffuse, spec and normal.. so it's practically 2 differents sets of texture maps that i can work with.
  • Pola
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pola polycounter lvl 6
    Are you restricted to a specific texture size limit? How much control do you have with shaders? You might be able to make the most of greyscale channels with some shader magic.
  • bk3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bk3d polycounter lvl 5
    but how big can those textures be? 6 1024X1024 ? you most likely will need 3 seperate textures. one for color one for spec and one for normal. Also your spec can be like 1/4 the size of your color map.
  • M1KES
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well the good news is i am allowed a high resolution (4098, but i really want to avoid going that high).
    Not sure on the shaders, but i dont think i can go to crazy with it. Can you elaborate a bit on using the grayscale channels?
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    One 4096^2 is 64 512^2 textures. One 512^2 texture is already bigger than most peoples horizontal screen resolution for a mobile game. That's perfect if you are using them for some environments tile-ables.

Are you really limited by the number of texture draw calls you can have? Time to bust out the texture atlas?
  • M1KES
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, i assumed i needed to create a texture atlas, but my question is how would i create a tiling texture for the terrain?
    I dont think just flattening the entire terrain and make one huge ground texture would be the proper way of doing it (i think?).
    Normally i would just give the terrain its own tilabe texture, but having it within a texture atlas confuses me, cause i cant figure out how to get it to tile correctly over an uneven surface.
  • choco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    choco polycounter lvl 10
    Just make a 1:1 square polygon and apply UV that conrespond to the texture needed in the Atlas.
    Duplicate the plane while moving it with snapping on so that it tiles with the other planes.
    Once you got the general layout of the terrain done, you can then merge all those planes into a single mesh (or add extra divisions) and start sculpting the terrain.
  • bk3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bk3d polycounter lvl 5
    1 4k texture is more than enough to create a level for a mobile game. I would stick with tiling the ground texture. I am not sure what engine you are working with but if your engine supports blending you can get enough variation with 3 channels of blends.

for the props you might want to make a texure atlas.. less texture calls the better. unfortunantly i am learning the hard way working on a ps3 and vita at the same time :(.

this is the most optimal texture for a level.
    http://www.udk.com/showcase-amazing-one-texture
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    Not necessarily the most optimal for mobile. That shader is very heavy in operations and also has to use at least 4 different UV sets and light map UVs.
  • Pola
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pola polycounter lvl 6
    6x4096? Plenty of texture to work with if you divide it up :] I like choco's way of mapping a face to portion of the texture, I wouldn't duplicate it around though, I'd just work with my low poly surface and then do a planar projection, select all edges and cut them so each face is seperate and then snap align them altogether, followed by aligning each uv to their respective corners.

If you use a single channel for a greyscale diffuse you can use a technique called gradient mapping, there is at least 2 threads I know of on polycount that talk about it so do a search :] Remember for textures like your normal theres a spare alpha channel usually so you could put in greyscale textures into those spare channels.