Home Technical Talk

Is marmoset good for rendering small environment scenes?

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
I really dont like UDK because of how buggy it is and how frequently it crashes for me.

I still want to get good with UDK, but im wondering if marmoset is good for mini environment testing?

Replies

• ahtiandr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ahtiandr polycounter lvl 12
    I am using marmoset for characters but I dont see any reason why you cant use it for environments. You can use HDRI light and also add many light sources and adjust everything very easily. The best thing in marmoset is the speed. I am painting my textures in ps and 3d coat and as soon as I press save, the map is automatically updated in marmoset and I can see the changes very quickly.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Yes you can, although you will need to have unique textures for each piece, which kinda defeats the purpose of environment stuff.

Also, I'm not sure if you have proper tiling control the latest version of Marmoset, but in the past, you had to expand your UV's past the 0-1 range to get the tile.
  • Kbrom12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kbrom12 polycounter lvl 8
    I use it for small environments and it works very well. It does get a bit much though when you start getting a lot of assets in the scene. Having 5-6 though isn't much of a problem
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Ace-Angel wrote: »
    Yes you can, although you will need to have unique textures for each piece, which kinda defeats the purpose of environment stuff.

Also, I'm not sure if you have proper tiling control the latest version of Marmoset, but in the past, you had to expand your UV's past the 0-1 range to get the tile.

expanding uv's past the 0-1 range is typically how you tile stuff in environment art.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    expanding uv's past the 0-1 range is typically how you tile stuff in environment art.
    I was referring to directly getting the tile in shader, which would be the easiest way to go about it uniformly ;)