Home Unreal Engine

Scaling light entities in a single axis

Is this any possible? I'm recreating a level and the reference uses common fluorescents, so I need an elongated light entity.

Replies

• sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    you can use static mesh actors as lights instead of using a light actor. But you can't do that dynamically.

http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/Lightmass.html#Mesh Area Lights from Emissive

I would try using a light function to mask the light. It will make the light appear rectangular even though it isn't. Why can't you use a light function on a spotlight?

http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/LightingReference.html#Light Functions

why can't you use static lighting?
  • Tidus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm aware of static lighting and emissive channels, if I'm not using them is because I don't want to. It's not like the whole scene is lit by a sun; I can't make events implying the foot lamps if I bake the lighting. There's a lot of UV mirroring that I would have to sacrifice for the sake of using lightmaps also.

About the light function, I didn't know the lights had to be movable to be able to use a function. It worked, though no matter what shape you use, scaling it to infinity in the desired axis tends to do what the light already does by default, so it's of no use in this case and slows down the perfomance by half. I guess I will have to try something different.
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    Tidus wrote: »
    I'm aware of static lighting and emissive channels, if I'm not using them is because I don't want to. It's not like the whole scene is lit by a sun; I can't make events implying the foot lamps if I bake the lighting. There's a lot of UV mirroring that I would have to sacrifice for the sake of using lightmaps also.

Dynamic lighting on all the objects in a scene is a huge performance hit and not a realistic way to make a level in unreal.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    It's extremely rare to get dynamic lights that aren't directional, point or spot in any practical game environment. Most engines don't support it.

You could attempt it using a light function, if it absolutely must be dynamic.