Home Technical Talk

Unzipping causes long freezes

Recently unzipping any size file results in the unzip program (both 7zip and winzip) freezing for 30-60seconds, unzipping a further 20% or so and then freezing again with the pattern repeating with a zip file of 300mb taking ten minutes to unzip. I have an ssd with my main OS on and had trouble booting into windows a week ago after upgrading my graphics card and RAM and changed the sata mode in the BIOS to AHCI which solved that problem but since then i've had this unzip/freezing problem however the files i'm unzipping are on a separate 1tb sata drive so im not sure it's the ssd. During unzip nothing else is affected just the unzip process/program. Any ideas what could be causing this?

My system specs are:

Wndows 7 home premium 64bit SP1
Asrock Z68 pro3 motherboard
60GB OCZ OCZ-AGILITY3 (Main OS)
AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series
16GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz (11-11-11-28)
Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz
1TB WD sata drive

Replies

• Kwramm
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    usually the zip (e.g. winrar, 7z) program unzips to a temporary storage and then copies it to the destination. By default this should be your SSD, unless you're running out of space there this may be no issue. What could also cause problems are other programs that "inspect" the newly arrived data - e.g. virus scanners, harddisk indexers (google desktop search, everything, windows search), auto defragmenters (kinda useless on a SSD though?)

You could try turning all such programs off and see if there's still a delay.
    Also try in "safe mode". Try to narrow the problem down, this might help finding the problem's source.

I remember I had issues like this long ago but I can't remember how i solved it. sorry. Good luck though.
  • scourgewarper
    There's plenty of space on my SSD so don't think it can be that. Just noticed that if I transfer large files from one drive to another that it pauses frequently and takes much longer than usual. I reinstalled 7zip 64bit and turned off windows search indexing and my Antivirus but its still slow tranferring or unzipping files, i'll try and boot into safe mode and see if it still persists there.
  • Ashaman73
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashaman73 polycounter lvl 6
    I got a temperature issue once. Whenever my CPU was under hi-load it freezes for 10-20 seconds , then continued. I never got a problem when using windows, but playing a demanding game was not possible.

Thought you mentioned that nothing else freezed, it could still be a temperature issue with one of the on-board controllers or with the HDDs/SDDs. Try to open the case and use some additional cooling and do some additional testing.