Home Technical Talk

Maya bake question.

juguefre
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
juguefre polycounter lvl 11
Hello.

why the high poly version of the mesh appears to "shrink" when I apply a smooth? I put the needed supporting edges but somehow my high poly get smaller than the low poly (just a little bit) and cause some bake problems, I get around the problem by "MANUALLY" increasing the size of the high poly but this way takes SO MUCH time, is there any other way to get rid of this problem???
Thanks for your time.

Replies

• gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    is there any other way to get rid of this problem???

No not really. Its getting smaller because its interpolating between your edge loops when smoothing. Only way you will really get the high and low to match closer is to have more loops in the high. so the faces don't curve as much.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    what gsokol said, i tend to put in my needed support loops, than start adding more loops where ever there are really large or long faces.
  • Mekhollandt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What they said, making sure that the necessary 'holding-edges' are applied to where they need to be in order for the high-poly to retain as much of its shape as possible when it's smoothed. You can also crease the edges, which can be found under the subdivision menu in the polygon tool set. However, I do have a question regarding from what high-poly to what low-poly you are baking to.

Make sure that you are completely done with the high-poly, it's smoothed, and read to go before you retopologize a low-poly to match. It appears that you are making a low-poly to bake to before you finish wih your high-poly, which can be done, but it's a lot easier to avoid problems like this if you just model your low poly to match your completed high-poly.

Hope this helps!
  • juguefre
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    juguefre polycounter lvl 11
    Thank you very much guys.
    @ Mekhollandt you got me there I have a copy of the mesh previous to apply the smooth and made the low from that copy, guess I have to modify my workflow one more time.
  • Mekhollandt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If it makes you feel any better, I'm sure half the community has had the same question, including myself ;P
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    Well, I ALWAYS build the low after the high, and ALWAYS inside the high, never out.
    If I ever need to build the low somehow first, I will model the high outside. That's how it is.