Home Technical Talk

Ipad and pen

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
Hello I dunno if I can post this here and is the right section but I wanted to ask if anyone of you knows a good "pen" to write on the tablet ipad 3 screen to make sketches and drawings ... I woudl like somethingthat is precise with the pen ( not a bulbous point ) but also that will not in any condition cause any damage or scratch to the screen ... thanks a lot for any answer :) ...

Replies

• monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    I use a Wacom Bamboo iPad Stylus, but I've been eying this one for a while.

http://adonit.net/product/jot-pro/

Adonit is making a pressure sensitive pen also, but it's not available yet.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ooooo, I would be all over a pressure sensitive pen...
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 12
    I'm in the market for a good stylus as well(gonna try to do more concepts on my phone). I just ordered 3 pens for $2.20 from Amazon. They're gonna be cheap, but I just want to test it out before I get an expensive one.

Also, just saw this while browsing the Jot site, http://adonit.net/product/jot-touch/

"Not all lines are created equally. Jot Touch reacts to the amount of pressure you apply to deliver more accurate interpretations of your stroke"

My only concern is, the pressure sensitivity is only relative to the app you're using, as far as I know. The only good Android app is Autodesk Sketchbook Mobile, which doesn't support pressure sensitivity I don't think.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    They really need to get ArtRage on board...
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Wahts best precise point one? I dont like much the bulbelike tip ...

not sure about the pressure sensitivity , I don't want to run the scrren pressing on the pen ...
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That is the problem with the ipad. For it to even recognize input it requires something touching the screen to be about at least as wide as your pinky finger and to be semi conductive. Which is why you can't wear gloves when using it (unless they are conductive also).

So you I don't think you will ever get a pen point tip like you would on a cintiq or tablet without some kind of wide tip attachment. The device is just not designed to support that kind of precision, but I like where the jot is taking it, even if I have my doubts about its viability.

You also would run into the issue of protecting the screen. The glass and screen protectors are semi conductive. Most of the screen protectors are not meant to have a pen tip on them and would scratch or dent, if they are hard. Or snag, rip and tear if they are the soft kind. =/
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 12
    That is the problem with the ipad. For it to even recognize input it requires something touching the screen to be about at least as wide as your pinky finger and to be semi conductive. Which is why you can't wear gloves when using it (unless they are conductive also).

So you I don't think you will ever get a pen point tip like you would on a cintiq or tablet without some kind of wide tip attachment. The device is just not designed to support that kind of precision, but I like where the jot is taking it, even if I have my doubts about its viability.

You also would run into the issue of protecting the screen. The glass and screen protectors are semi conductive. Most of the screen protectors are not meant to have a pen tip on them and would scratch or dent, if they are hard. Or snag, rip and tear if they are the soft kind. =/

I'm sure with the rise in tablets replacing computers(and dual-core/quad-core processors), we'll see more professional oriented devices that might even be pressure sensitive. I'm looking forward to it!

Also, I got my [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Capacitive-Cellphone-Motorola-BlackBerry-AMM0101US/dp/B0053NBLFW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1336057618&sr=8-1"]cheap pens[/ame] in yesterday. They work pretty well for the price. I don't like the fat tip though, but I guess that's the major issue with most styluses.
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    I made one like this from an old wacom stylus, works great and has a fine point. http://tumblr.kinglau.co/post/6442455519/ipadstylusdiy
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Do you also know of the "best" kind of transparent protection for the screne that doesn't block the use of the pencil over it? hopefully something with no bubbles ... :) ...

oh and what software app do you use to draw on the ipad? I was thinking of sketchbook pro ...
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    To put it simply ... don't get your hopes too high. The ipad was not designed for stylus use and most apps/stylus hacks end up being simply frustrating to use. Sure, stuff can be done on it (been there, done that) but it really isn't practical. I honestly think you'll be better off with a regular paper sketchbook !
  • Futzy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior wrote: »
    To put it simply ... don't get your hopes too high. The ipad was not designed for stylus use and most apps/stylus hacks end up being simply frustrating to use. Sure, stuff can be done on it (been there, done that) but it really isn't practical. I honestly think you'll be better off with a regular paper sketchbook !
    Yeah, I even have an android tablet with a pressure sensitive pen, and I always prefer paper for quick sketches, only using the tablet for when I want to practice color stuff. It's mostly a software issue though because few currently support pen only mode (no painting specific apps do); would be a bigger problem with an ipad since I don't see how it would be possible to have a pen-only mode at all. Much better than carting around a laptop + wacom tablet though and has allowed me to go with building a desktop instead of buying another laptop.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    not ipad i know, but i'm using the Samsung Galaxy Note. the pen is wacom designed and has 128 levels of pressure sensitivity.

i've done some research, and it works the same way as wacom tablets, with the drawing surface (in this case the phone screen) detecting where the pen tip is, and the pen itself calculating the levels of pressure.

the pen tip itself is very small, in fact it's the same type of tip that you see in an intuos. the frustrating thing though, is just the pressure sensitivity. currently no "good" wacom pens work on the phone, but being there's an SDK out there for wacom stylus's (stylii?) i'm hoping some intrepid folk might try writing an android app which recognises the bigger stylus's like the intuos, or the bamboo fun.

there's rumours out there that wacom or samsung are doing something like that, which is awesome. but until it becomes a reality i'm still looking for other solutions...

the guys at the last polycount meetup in london seemed to enjoy playing around with the stylus on my phone anyway haha.
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    I am orienting myself versus the Jot pro but I am not quite sure to understand the difference between the several jot , even couse there is a minijot that woudl be more portable ...

Also what kind of apps do you use to paint?
    I read sketchbook pro , procreate , brushes , and adobe ideas ...?
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    Just ordered a Jot Pro, i'll write a mini review here soon :)
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Yeh I ordered it too yesterday , but I am having serious problems with the screen protectors , I bought one and its awfully full of bubbles , I tried to reapply and is worst than befoure , it totally ruins the aestethics of the device ... I wich there was a easier one , any good cover that is anti fingertips ? And a good guide to place?
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Have you tried using sellotape to get rid of dust? That's what causes the bubbles to happen in the first place. What i do is wrap some tape over my fingers (adhesive part facing outwards) and use it to pick up any dust i see on the screen or screen protector.
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    No I haven't tried couse Itought could leave glew residue on the screen?
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    btw what app is better to paint , draw and sketchup?
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    I like the following sketching and paint apps:

ArtRage (Best UI, Tools and Line quality, but performance is a little slow.)
    Autodesk Sketchbook (Good performance, but quick lines look blocky. Nice UI.)
    ArtStudio (The most like photoshop, but with ugly UI. Great line quality, and a brush editor.)
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    how about

sketchbook pro

brushes

and

Procreate?
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Procreate is a beast, it's pretty much a fully functioning Photoshop/Painter for the Ipad when it comes to painting. Take a look at Paper by FiftyThree too, Sam Spratt loves it and I share the same opinion.
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    I got procreate seems so far a god choice but also interesting seems art studio and is free...
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Why Omg?

Sorry I wronged the title of the other app and is not free but is 0.79 and is called art set ...
  • Rigoberto1
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    Wow, procreate is better than all the other apps! Thanks for recommending!
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Have you tried art set? It's really cool cheap and gives the feeling of working with a real canvas and pencils ....
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Procreate and Sketchbook Pro are tops for me. Art set is ok. I really like the first 2 though.

Also http://hex3.co/products/jaja looks really interesting. Procreate is great about supporting all the crazy pen things.