Home Technical Talk

Mudbox 2012 painting crash

polycounter
Offline / Send Message
Synaesthesia polycounter
Hello everyone!

I'm running into a troublesome issue after I've built a new system. 2012 x64 is randomly crashing (I assume) when I paint objects, although I hear it can also arise from OBJ imports. I tried using FBX for some of my models and that still causes crashes.

Here's my computer specifications:

16GB of RAM
GTX 580
Intel 2600i Quad-core
Windows 7 Home Premium x64

I'd prefer to avoid using Photoshop primarily for some of the work that I'm creating. If someone has some ideas for what I can do to fix this recurring crash, I'd greatly appreciate it. By the way, I've got the crash log here if it will help.

http://www.3dholmes.com/downloads/crash.log

Replies

• Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Well, I think I figured out what the issue is. It appears that it crashes upon adding a stencil to the stencil library. I'm not sure why. Has anyone else encountered this issue?
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    interesting crash...
    i would recommend to not use the add stencil feature... use the mudbox image browser instead... just navigate to your image and click the set stencil icon in the image browser...
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    I'll have to try that. For now, I believe I found a workaround. I've used a directory full of images that I migrated from my main texture library to pull into Mudbox via a Window 7 library to reduce clicking time. When I grab the textures I want and just move or copy them into a folder that's not full of images, such as the folder the stencils are being added from, I can add them into Mudbox and it hasn't crashed yet. I'm not sure why it's doing this, but at least there's a workaround. I'll try your idea and see if that fixes the issue permanently.
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    you could also tear off the mudbox image browser to use it on your second monitor...
    in the mudbox menue... windows --> image browser