Home General Discussion

Starting from Zbrush for production

Hey guys, i really want some advice from the professionals here, who work on features films or games/animation. I am dying to be character modeler for features films, i got a internship, and i am learning a lot, but i do have problems to adapt in Maya, because i have used 3D max daily..

So, can i use Zbrush for creating character, (cartoon) to be ready for rigging and animation, and to start from Zbrush? I mean, modeling characters in Maya or any 3d app, i s a little bit boring, setting image planes, going from cube, extruding bla bla, that's for me honestly it's a bit bored thing to do, I would like to use Maya for, Uv, Texturing, lighting, rendering etc. and modeling hard surface things in Maya. So does people in production care how does you going to start to model the given character project? I know for someone is personal preference, starting from Maya, but does people care how you going to model that or doesn't care much?

Replies

• Joopson
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    If you think Maya and 3DsMax are boring to use, maybe you should reconsider what industry you want to be in.

But then, if you can use Zbrush to the level where you can't look at it and tell it's zBrush, and you master the retopo tools, then maybe, just MAYBE you could get by. But I don't think a studio would approve. Keep in mind, if it's going to be animated, topology is everything. And, I don't know about you, but for me, retopo-ing in zbrush is way more difficult a process than modeling in maya with nice flow.
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    You should be more excited than bored at that stage... Or you're going to be unconscious by the time you are finished your base mesh...
  • Ace-Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    I love doing everything, especially when I can get to build my custom shaders around the final mesh from all the baking, retopoing and sculpting, not mention, delicious texturing.

So yeah, it's abit of a weird position where you don't like or want to do the 'basics' yet want to rush the more 'candy' parts which really don't have use for anything unless you plan on doing 3D-prints.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    If you're just concepting than Zbrush is fine to start but all the film work I've done has required Maya first. There's usually some pretty specific topology needed for the animators that is easier to setup before-hand rather than going back and re-topologising after you've sculpted the model. < which is even more boring than just doing it first.
    You'd probably be better off checking with your lead to find out what specifically needs to be done.
  • Vio
    Offline / Send Message
    Vio polycounter lvl 6
    Wow I think Max is the best software I have ever used, I may get forced to use blender soon though, the corporate level of autodesk care little for artists in my opinion.
  • David-J
    Offline / Send Message
    David-J polycounter lvl 11
    YOu are forgetting that a character modeler it's one part of the process. He needs to give the animator something to work with, or a rigger. Also a lot of the times that you will be using will be determined by what the company uses.
  • skankerzero
    I'll show you the door out of this industry.
  • Kot_Leopold
    Offline / Send Message
    Kot_Leopold polycounter lvl 10
    That sounds like Michael Pavlovich's method to me, which is fine as long as you can master it imo.

http://eat3d.com/zbrush4_character

I don't work in the games industry yet, but Mr. Pavlovich does so you should be okay. Since topology is so vital for making functional models, you're going to have to master it no matter how you look at it. If you're comfortable starting with ZSpheres and sculpting away then do it that way. The thing to keep in mind is that you cannot run away from proper topology whether you want to work in film or game industries.
  • DrunkShaman
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Kuledo wrote: »
    Hey guys, i really want some advice from the professionals here, who work on features films or games/animation. I am dying to be character modeler for features films, i got a internship, and i am learning a lot, but i do have problems to adapt in Maya, because i have used 3D max daily..

So, can i use Zbrush for creating character, (cartoon) to be ready for rigging and animation, and to start from Zbrush? I mean, modeling characters in Maya or any 3d app, i s a little bit boring, setting image planes, going from cube, extruding bla bla, that's for me honestly it's a bit bored thing to do, I would like to use Maya for, Uv, Texturing, lighting, rendering etc. and modeling hard surface things in Maya. So does people in production care how does you going to start to model the given character project? I know for someone is personal preference, starting from Maya, but does people care how you going to model that or doesn't care much?

WTF? Guys like this, can get an internship with less to know knowledge of the game / film and I cant even get a factory job with a Software Engineer's Degree. :(

To the OT; You sir, are in the wrong part of the realm sir. If you find making a base mesh for anything in any 3d modeling software boring, here is an intel for you. When you make a kickass character in zbrush, you will have to re-create the geometry of it on low resolution for games, and refine them for films.

We all hate that part and find it boring at first but it is important to understand how the geometry flows on the characters and environments / environment props. Once you get kind of used to it, you will know that it is extremely essential and a part of CG.

Many companies will have their own set of tools that you must adapt to, many companies will have you work your own way.

In either way, you can not JUST use zbrush for everything unless you have 5 Nvidia Firepros 6 Xeons and 500GB ram on your computer. OR learn to live with the boring fact that you have to re-create the geometry everytime you make a high res model in zbrush. :shifty:
  • Kuledo
    Nitewalkr wrote: »
    WTF? Guys like this, can get an internship with less to know knowledge of the game / film and I cant even get a factory job with a Software Engineer's Degree. :(

To the OT; You sir, are in the wrong part of the realm sir. If you find making a base mesh for anything in any 3d modeling software boring, here is an intel for you. When you make a kickass character in zbrush, you will have to re-create the geometry of it on low resolution for games, and refine them for films.

We all hate that part and find it boring at first but it is important to understand how the geometry flows on the characters and environments / environment props. Once you get kind of used to it, you will know that it is extremely essential and a part of CG.

Many companies will have their own set of tools that you must adapt to, many companies will have you work your own way.

In either way, you can not JUST use zbrush for everything unless you have 5 Nvidia Firepros 6 Xeons and 500GB ram on your computer. OR learn to live with the boring fact that you have to re-create the geometry everytime you make a high res model in zbrush. :shifty:

I got a intern with the help of friends who work there, and i wanted to get a good experience for game and film sir.

Well i wanted to do that workflow, to create a character in Zbrush, and then to do re topo for the rigging and animation. I just wanted to know, does studios work in this way.
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Well, I think it's fair to feel like manual vertex editing can be less exciting than sculpting - I don't necessarily agree but I can understand how some can find excitement in both, and some not :)

As a matter of fact, you won't really be able to chose that kind of stuff. The production you will be part of will dictate what you do. So, logically, you'll have to know how to do both.

However! There is something very important to be said about Zbrush. The tools are amazing, but the perspective and shading in it are wrong, wrong, WRONG. It doesn't matter how much kickass work has been screenshot straight from ZB : in 99% of the cases, what matters is what happens *after* the Zbrush stage and you will face some very big surprises once you see your ZB-only model in another environment. It'll look lumpy and distorted, always. So, make sure to cover your bases and check your work regularly.

Hope this helps! Good Luck!
  • Sandro
    but the perspective and shading in it are wrong, wrong, WRONG
    THIS!

I've hoarded tons and tons of different shaders for zbrush and cycle through them regularly when working but no matter what I always end up surprised after I check my models in regular opengl/d3d viewports.
  • DrunkShaman
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Kuledo wrote: »
    I got a intern with the help of friends who work there, and i wanted to get a good experience for game and film sir.

Well i wanted to do that workflow, to create a character in Zbrush, and then to do re topo for the rigging and animation. I just wanted to know, does studios work in this way.

But you made it clear that you find this part boring, extruding the geometry, tweeking the geometry creating a low polygon count geometry in any 3d modeling software.

Sigh* Anyways If they told you what they expect of you, many studios do not worry how you process the model and finish it as long as you fulfill their required specifications of 3d model:

For example: If they require you to make a game model with about 4k polygons and 2048 x 4048 texture, then you have keep that in mind while working on that given game model.

I do not know about the film industry tho since they make models in a bit higher resolution then game models.
  • Inhert
    Offline / Send Message
    Inhert polycounter lvl 9
    but the perspective and shading in it are wrong, wrong, WRONG

So is it safe to say that it would be ideal to work in Mudbox for sculpting purposes to get decent shading and the right perspective view? I don't want to start a Zbrush vs Mudbox thing going but I am just curious.
  • skankerzero
    zbrush is a tool, not a pipeline.
  • David-J
    Offline / Send Message
    David-J polycounter lvl 11
    zbrush is a tool, not a pipeline.

haha. truth!
  • Blaizer
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    Joopson wrote: »
    If you think Maya and 3DsMax are boring to use, maybe you should reconsider what industry you want to be in.

This.

OMG, Zbrush for a cartoon character?

i'd say take the exit door, and forget about this industry, because with that mindset of yours, you only will get a kick in the ass, really.

BTW, how old are you?

I'm really impressed, perplexed by this post. It's incredible.
  • Rwolf
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    When I was working in Film, we only used Z-brush for "fine detailing" Unless your the lead artist you have a little more play, otherwise we reuse models at much as we can, and only build from scratch if it's a asset we don't have.

Working for TV is a little more flexible, your more of a specialized generalist, but you still hafta do everything.

The only way I think you can get away with using primary Z-brush if your a concept artist, and only a concept artist.