Home Technical Talk

[3ds max n00b] creating dismemberment animation on a biped

A) I have a zombie character mesh that is already skinned to the biped... I'm wondering how to create dismemberment animations, for example cutting off the head or limbs, or perhaps slice the zombie in half across the middle (example video (gore warning): [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zz_vrbUCCvg"]Kung Lao's Buzz Saw Fatality from Mortal Kombat (2011) in HD - YouTube[/ame] )?

B) What is the best workflow for me to reuse the same mesh and biped to create a second variation? Let's say the above was zombie A, later I want to add a zombie B which basically is the same body mesh, but clothed differently, has different hair, etc... but still using the exact same animation as zombie A.

Thanks for your time!

Replies

• Nash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bumpage as it's almost thrown off the first page...
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Usually this is done with some compositing trickery. You have three copies of the same character. Copy 1 is the intact character, copy 2 is the left half, copy 3 is the right half. They share the same animation, but you transition to the cut-up copies over time. The cut-up versions can use ragdoll for their floppiness. You might need to convert the biped to bones to work as a ragdoll.

Edit... Biped lets you save and load animations. That's one way to make a new version of ther same character. Another is to simply change the material.
  • Nash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Eric, thanks for the response.

A) So does that mean I'll need 2 copies with 2 separate bipeds both animated at the same time? On top of that, each half will have to have opposing alpha maps applied to imply that the character was dismembered? I need them to be rendered simultaneously in 1 frame. The intended output is pre-rendered sprites for a 2-d game (imagine a game with Diablo I graphics).

B) Oh I've never played with animation saving and loading with bipeds. Will give this feature a try. The various zombie variations have different geometry though (changing the material won't be enough) so I foresee additional skinning work per model variation is going to be inevitable...
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, copy the biped, apply a different material, animate the cut. Unfortunately Biped doesn't support changing the hierarchy mid-animation, so you can't just remove parts.
  • Bruno Afonseca
    Another idea: You can use helpers linked to the biped structure, and skin the character to those helpers. Then you could move the helpers around. You'd need some smart helper placement for it to work though. That's how I'd approach this issue.

About the skinning, you could give the "Skin Wrap" modifier a shot. Should save you some initial work at least.
  • Nash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just watched some Skin Wrap tutorial videos on Youtube and this looks like the perfect tool for my variation needs! Thanks fonfa!

However, another inevitable problem will arise. Skin wrap would be the perfect solution for - example - male zombie variations. When I add female zombies - and more importantly - children zombies - who have totally different proportions than the male base... I think things are going to get a little complicated.

I wonder how well would a saved biped animation of the male biped transfer to a female and child biped?

(Still currently not done with skinning the biped yet (yeah this is taking forever for me LOL) so I can't check these situations for myself yet... I'm interested in hearing from anyone who's been through a similar pipeline before)
  • Nash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, I have prepared all of the 6 base meshes I need for this zombie project (male average, female average, male fat, female fat, child boy, child girl). By prepared, I mean I am done with modeling, unwrwapping and texturing. Now I need some pipeline advise so that I don't end up wasting time doing something which later down the line I would realize that I did things the wrong way and have to go back to step 1.

Right now, only the male average is fully textured and skinned with nice envelopes, no weird stretching.. I have a basic animation cycle done for testing purposes. Should I...

1) Finish animating the "male average" model completely. There are a about 20 animation cycles that ALL model variations will reuse.

2) Next, apply Skin Wrap on the next base mesh (female, for example).

3) Use the "convert to skin" button, then adjust envelopes (because no doubt there will be some stretching).

4) Repeat with all base meshes.

The result I want is: 6 fully textured, rigged and animated BASE meshes. With these base meshes, I will then create clothed/haired variations (utilizing Skin Wrap even further).

Does this look right? Have I overlooked any steps?
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Try steps 2-4 with a quick animation file, to make sure the process works before you create the full animation set.
  • Nash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks... that actually goes without saying. :P This is what happens when one is too mentally tired. :S