Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Tinkerbell Character

HELLO POLYCOUNT,
Just started a new character project to day. I have been set to design, model and animate Tinkerbell for use in Gamebryo Engine (will be putting it into CryEngine 3 or UDK, im more leaning towards CryEngine 3).

So far design wise im thinking im going for a little bit sexier and a more older looking Tinkerbell then the disneys one (Did not like how she looked, to kidish), she is going to have a dark gothic twist to her (But am open for Sugestions).

For the Model i am to follow these Guidlines:
  • Up to 12,500 tris max for everything
  • Texture Sheets allowance:
    • 2048x2048 diffuse
    • 2048x2048 Normal map
    • 2048x2048 Specular color
    • 2048x2048 Specular level
    • 2048x2048 Glow
    • 2048x2048 Opacity
    • 2048x2048 Ambient color
These might seam to high but we will be resizing as needed, these are just the max we can work with with in the engine.

For the Animations, im required to do a Walk Cycle, Run Cycle, Idea Cycle, Iden Brake Cycle, Attack 1 and Attack 2.

Thanks you for looking and Please Feel Free to Crit and Paintover Till you hand falls off, THEY ARE WELCOME :)

Replies

• wilksy92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A Small Update.

Today i have done a quick Outline for the general body shape for Tinkerbell.

556976_10150773760260908_774535907_11606243_743416297_n.jpg

I have all ready shown it to my frends for feedback. and this is what they had to say:

Person 1 (Male):
    Thinner legs. Needs to be a petite character, Otherwise looking good

Person 2 (Female):
    did you draw that? Anyway, thighs could be a little thinner although that style did work for the lara croft tomb raider video game, she was pretty hot. Ankles thinner, feet thinner. Also, just thought I'd comment on the breasts, they are brilliant!

Person 3 (Male):
    agree with all the above, but keep in mind the Disney Tinkerbell, and how she was flat chested, depends on how much sex appeal you want to put into it

So what i took from there feed back is that i have to fix up the legs and make them THINNER. and with the breast size i explained to P3 that i was going for a little bit sexier and a more older looking Tinkerbell then the disneys one.

MORE CRITS PLEASE :)
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Texelion polycounter lvl 8
    Not sure that taking this drawing as a ref is a good idea ^^.

Anyway, it could be cool to do a voluptuous girl instead of a thin girl. Especially if you don't want that she looks like the Disney one. A lil bit fat goth Tinkerbell with nice boobs and butt ^^.
  • ericdigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ericdigital polycounter lvl 13
    I really liked this stylization of tinkerbell that Dan did a few months ago, super adorable

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1507439&postcount=1084
  • wilksy92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Texelion,
    I get what you are saying but thats not the look the game team is going for they are like the look of this first concept, but are wanting the legs to be thinner.

@eric,
    Dans texture work is the similar texture work that i want to do. But i'm undecided whether i'm going to dirty up the textures or keep them clean. What do you guys think i should do?

Thanks for your feedback guys. will post a new picture soon just have not had the time with work getting in the way :/
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Start out thin, then busty her up.

That way, you will have two version depending on which way you wanna go as a base to start from, I'm a guy, so a busty Tinkerbell with plumb proportions (kinda like Betilla from Rayman Origins) would be grand.
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Texelion polycounter lvl 8
    Oh, you have to worry about what your team says ^^. Same for me, I understand.

Anyway, it could be better to take photo refs instead of a basic drawing.

You said that you want to give her a sexier look than the Disney one, but making big breasts on a thin body is not really sexy... If you look at Lara as a ref, she is not a thin girl with boobs : she has also wide hips and bottom, wide tighs, but really small waist and knees. She is really curvy.

It's just my mind, but you should try to avoid to put boobs on a "petite" silhouette... ^^
  • wilksy92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Small update:
    295200_10150786387925908_774535907_11658722_519569699_n.jpg

what do you guys think?
    will be adding a block out head on her to use for a size up. and fix all the sizing to that head.
  • Visioneer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Visioneer polycounter lvl 8
    I'm not sure how much knowledge you have of anatomy, but with the complete omission of boney landmarks and muscular forms, I'm a bit concerned with your reference images. You should take special care for mapping those out, especially if you are using the image as a modeling reference. Also, don't jump too quickly to "make the legs thinner." As the model is completed in 3D, then it is more of a chance to edit the legs as you need them.

Seeing what the legs look like from one orthographic (in this case "front") angle, you aren't getting all the needed information in order to determine how thick or thing the legs truly are. As a quick hint, load up your reference into your modeling program of choice, and using a cylinder primitive, shape it to the approximate size of your reference's legs, then rotate around the cylinder to get q rough idea of just how thin or thick they really are.

I sounds like your crew isn't really interested in heavy stylization, so if you manage to make the legs too thin, they won't be able to support the upper body (meaning the upper body would have to slender down as well, and the hips and breasts would nearly disappear,) and the skin would be more akin to following the flow of the skeleton, and muscle and fat deposits.

I tried to create an illustration to visually reflect what I am talking about. Study anatomy, the flow of muscles, how those muscles interact with bones, and where the fatty deposits sit on the body to create a more visually appealing (and accurate) shape, worthy of using as a reference.
  • Ack Master
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tinker bells hot :D
  • Di$array
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Di$array polycounter lvl 5
    Texelion wrote: »
    Oh, you have to worry about what your team says ^^. Same for me, I understand.

Anyway, it could be better to take photo refs instead of a basic drawing.

You said that you want to give her a sexier look than the Disney one, but making big breasts on a thin body is not really sexy... If you look at Lara as a ref, she is not a thin girl with boobs : she has also wide hips and bottom, wide tighs, but really small waist and knees. She is really curvy.

It's just my mind, but you should try to avoid to put boobs on a "petite" silhouette... ^^

Yeah Texelion hit the nail on the head. I would sit down with the team and look over several different female proportions and try to settle on one. If you start to mix and match its going to start looking very odd, very fast. If you want sexy you gotta go with curves but then again thats down to preference :)
  • wilksy92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Visioneer,
    thanks for the feedback and im going to study the anatomy. and try to get it looking right. you paint over and tink drawing is the style im trying to go for. but as my drawing skills need alot of work im doing my best and i think this will help. so thanks. and if you could make some more sugestions it would help alot :)
  • MonkeyBoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would +1 to the actual ref images. Get some lovely images of ladies from the net (there may be quite a few out there ;) ).
  • Visioneer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One tip I have to offer, Wilksy92, is a bit controversial in the illustration world, but I found it to be a fast track SUPPLEMENT (not a replacement) to traditional studies. I've used this technique whenever I've had to study forms or to act as a quick refresher. Again, please don't use this as a replacement for learning, but as a supplement. The technique is a simple one: Tracing.

Some artists are completely against tracing, considering it to be cheating, others are all for it to help illustrate correct proportions and muscle flow and form. I am part of the camp that promotes the use of tracing, but only as a tool, not as a stand in for actual skill. The exercise I use, however, can significantly speed up the understanding of forms and masses.

1.) Collect your reference images; I particularly like MET Art (tasteful nudes), DeviantArt, Tumblr, and 3D.sk. Find one that matches your interest or what you are trying to study. After you find a suitable reference, open it in your favorite Digital Painting (or print it if you use traditional media) and place the reference image on its own layer.

2.) Create a second layer of white (or any other background color) and lower its opacity. This simulates the effect of tracing paper. Some programs, like Corel's Painter has an option to automatically create a tracing layer (CTRL+T).

3.) This is the most important step. Carefully block out the forms using geometric shapes (observe lighting and shade if needed) and take special care to measure and observe proportions as you do. Make notes for yourself as needed, comparing lengths and widths of limbs and body parts in comparison to others. How many head lengths do the legs measure? How long is the torso in comparison to the arms? To the legs? How many head widths is the torso? Keep all this (and more) in mind as you work, mapping out the geography of the body.

4.) After you have produced your study, turn off the reference image, and take a look at your study layer. Again, take a look at the measurements and proportions of the figure. After studying it (and your notes) for a while, try to redraw the figure without the reference image, looking at your study every once in a while for comparison, making the same measurements and taking the time to reproduce it accurately.

After you are satisfied with your study, repeat this exercise until you feel confident in your abilities, adding more difficult goals as you illustrate each time (boney landmarks, muscle flow, detail, etc.) Exercises aren't always fun, and studies aren't always either, but if you wish to improve, aside from the value of life drawing and a formal education, they can really help your work improve.

Remember to use tracing (should you decide to) only as a tool. If you overuse it, or become dependent on it, it loses its usefulness, and thus becomes a crutch, will certainly limit your improvement. I wish you luck, and I am always willing to offer advice should you want or need it. Also, the advice I offer is what I use/have used and has worked for me, but not necessarily for every one. Find what works for you and go for it. Reading lots of books on the subject is particularly helpful as well.
  • wilksy92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Visioneer,
    I have tryed what you have sugested. and this is what i have do.
    NOTE:
    its just a study for the Torso.

473132_10150793652785908_774535907_11689233_1979381502_o.jpg

And btw thanks for the help. i need it
  • Dysengaged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goodwork man, slowly getting there just form you have to work on
    We worked on it the other night, just have to continue and just do more and more to understand it

Visioneer-Im also in the process of designing a character and was wondering if you could take a look and see what you think?http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=97559
  • Visioneer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wilksy - Don't just outline the figure, you won't get anything meaningful out of the exercise that way. Build the forms, similar to assembling an articulated doll or toy figure. Think of each form as a 3 Dimensional object, think about it's mass, weight, and shape, before you try to illustrate it on your character.

Only after you have reached a significant amount of competence with form, only then should you move onto lights, lighting, and shade. A lack of understanding of form will weaken your understanding of light and how it interacts with your subject.

I re-illustrated your exercise to hopefully revise instruction for easier understanding.
  • wilksy92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Decided im going to go back to the start with my concepts and start with some silhouettes to start off. What do you guys think.
  • wilksy92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey PC,
    sorry its been a while since i have post. have been working on geting the final concept done.
    have stoped working on my figure studies due to needing the time to work on the concept as i only have 5 weeks left to finish this character.

here is the update:

458704_10150818947985908_774535907_11747596_1616870894_o.jpg

^
    Wings Brane Storm. the ticked one is the wings that im going to use. ART TEAM PICKED THEM.

531432_10150818947760908_774535907_11747592_2093214685_n.jpg

^
    Stage 1 WIP Final Concept.

456362_10150818947835908_774535907_11747593_1351389319_o.jpg

^
    Stage 2 WIP Final Concept.
  • wilksy92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Forgot to add the REF sheet:

578826_10150818970945908_774535907_11747622_1041902565_n.jpg
  • wilksy92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Started to Model the other Day here's the WIP.

472159_10150831775905908_774535907_11796363_1935414899_o.jpg

Note:
    Poly Count is currently shitting at 950 Tris

What it Now looks like.

475060_10150831776090908_774535907_11796364_814668606_o.jpg

Note:
    Poly Count is currently shitting at 1200 Tris.

This is not going to be the final Low Poly Mesh. Will Change after i have made my High Polly One. This model is just going to be a starting point for the programers to get there AI's working Right.
  • wilksy92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HELLO PC,

Its been a while since i posted last so i thought ill give you an update. still working on Tink, i have started the high polly model built 99% in Zbrush after i lost the base mesh i was building.

so i decided after i have built my HP model im just going to retopo it in 3D Coat and then use that to bake out the normals and AO in xnormal for use in texturing.

So here it is the HP WIP:

Stage 1:
    471770_10150837252920908_774535907_11812948_225503692_o.jpg

Built her using Zsphaurs and Dynamesh.

Stage 2:
    466719_10150837385715908_774535907_11813350_676287367_o.jpg

Built the Corset with the Retopo Features inside Zbrush to make this a new subtool on tink.

Stage 3:
    457574_10150936113360908_774535907_11925897_1818215545_o.jpg

Repeated the process for the corset with some small fix ups in maya and with the Dynamesh :)

Please Feel Free to leave Feedback and questions :)