Home Technical Talk

Unwrapping and texturing

Hey I've checked out a good many tutorials on this subject but none of them seem to work, Currently using 3DS Max 2013 due to can't get any others to work on my laptop.

But I'm trying to texture a low poly model,that I can't really put up here but if you're willing to help and pm me I can show there through email.

I've tried pelting and some other ways but it always seems to get messed up is there anyway for a idiot like myself should be looking at or just not doing right.

Once again sorry if this is in the wrong place or asked a 100 times but I really need help with this as soon as possible!

Replies

• David Wakelin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi there!

Like yourself I'm learning and quite new to max although used Maya for 2 years. Whilst studying Max the only thing I can really contribute is to use a Unwrap UVW modifier on your object and edit the seams, drawing them on where you see fit. One you've done this, you may then select a portion of your mesh and click the "expand" and it will expand the selection up to your given seams, and then you can go ahead and Pelt :)

It's tricky but probably one of the hardest things you'll ever do so get used to it!

Cheers

David
  • MonkeyKing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers man trying that but one quick question how do I pick the seams haha
  • David Wakelin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi again,

on the modifier section of the unwrap UVW there should be a "point to point seams" button, click that and then click on one vertex then another to create a seam from A - B.
  • MonkeyKing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    QT5U9.png
    This is what I am working on to give you better idea of what's going on. Any and all input is greatly appreciated as well as all your advice there David!
  • David Wakelin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will input a quick step by step guide shortly
  • David Wakelin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok a quick step by step guide on how to UVW map in 3DS Max via the 'seaming' method. Its probably not perfect or the most effiecient way but it allows the user full control on where they would like the texture and seams to be placed.

step1p.th.jpg

Made a basic cylinder and applied an UNWRAP UVW modifier to the object. I then DESELECTED "Show Map Seam" to hide its default seams on the object already given by default from MAX.

step2wf.th.jpg

Once I had hidden the default seams, I then went to the view select in the top left hand corner (persective box) and clicked on WIREFRAME mode. I then scrolled down on the right hand side of the UNWRAP UVW section and selected "EDIT SEAMS" from here I am able to draw my own seams by clicking on any edge. (ensure edge is selected not vertex or polygon) I drew my seams across the top section, the bottom and then one straight line through the middle.

step3i.th.jpg

Once your seams have been selected then click on the UNWRAP UVW and change from EDGE to POLYGON - click on a single polygon on your chosen mesh and click on expand face to selected seams. - here it will expand the polygons to your seam boundaries. (hence why my entire middle selection is selected not the top nor bottom). SEAMS SHOULD ALWAYS BE CLOSED SOMEWHERE!

finalstepn.th.jpg

When you have your polygons in the selected boundary selected your ready to pelt map that section - I would advise to seam the entire model and double check the boundaries are closed where needed ( click on an arm for example, click expand to boundaries and ensure only the area you wanted has been selected to your seams ) before pelt mapping otherwise you usually get lost in a variety of jig saw like pieces of mesh. - and remember Seams especially on a character should always try to be hidden whereever neccessary! (i.e. back of head, inside of arm that isnt on display etc.

Hope this helps but if need any more help just Private Message Me.

Cheers.

David
  • David Wakelin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick example of how i'd approach your mesh.

Its quite difficult as its quite cuby and low poly but it should give you an ok reference.

quickseamexample.jpg
  • MonkeyKing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers trying it about still having issue's with picking the right seems,followed the one you gave me but still messed up somewhere,But cheers.
  • MonkeyKing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aPZt6.png
    OK this is the new model and below is the pelted out textures doe it look right?
    fe0oh.png
    Any advice or obvious mess up's I did please do tell me.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It looks like there is a lot of pinching and distortion, which is probably from the pelt unwrap... Not many people use pelt anymore now that tools like point to point seams and relax do the same job in half the time.

Also what is the goal of this model? It seems pretty low poly so I would think a small highly detailed texture sheet is going to go with. Something about 25% as big as you currently have.

You should apply a checker pattern (probably one with writing in it so you can see if pieces need to be flipped) and then try to minimize the distortion as best as you can. Right now I think just relaxing the shells will go a long way in improving the distortion.

Next there are a lot of pixels on that texture sheet that aren't doing anything, so you need to better arrange those pieces to best use the space, its a bit like tetris. Before you do that think about mirroring/stacking UV shells so you can further maximize the space.

Keep in mind that distortion isn't all that bad as long as it doesn't impact the overall look of the model. I mention this because some UV island have long jagged pieces sticking off of them and sometimes the pieces fit together better if you scale back those pieces, but it depends on how the distortion will look if you really want to do that.

If your entire character is mirrored, now that its partially UV'ed you can mirror it again to easily stack all of the mirrored UV shells. Then move the pieces you want to be unique to their own space.
  • David Wakelin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imagehelp.jpg

All the images are poorly squashed together, they should be spread out and have as much distance as possible, for you to then scale down as much as required. However the ticked ones would be considered 'OK' for a beginner :)

Secondly, you have so much space why is it not used? use as MUCH as possible without them overlapping.

Thirdly, seeing as the character is symmetrical why not mirror the uvs, do one side and mirror the texture for the other?
  • MonkeyKing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ha wow alot of this is going over my head, But cheers to everyone for the advice I should put up that I am self thought at 3D and such.

But the below image is what is asked for.

Sorry for being so stupid over this stuff again must be messing with you guys pretty badly haha.But cheers none the less!

?ui=2&ik=55f208f51c&view=att&th=1371312f2d6c30b8&attid=0.1&disp=inline&realattid=f_h1rwi50n1&safe=1&zw&saduie=AG9B_P_MMSL0RkbhR9SiMSBMRKfz&sadet=1336141752554&sads=ZJfpQTc53r99r5z0u0MPYNH4Bpk&sadssc=1

Oh and the reason I'm doing it double is because the face is different on both sides and the shoulder armour is different as well as there is a strap going across his chest.
  • MonkeyKing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Should I just start from scratch? I'm thinking that might be best.
  • David Wakelin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No because its just practice practice practice!

The more you do it the better, but tbh I would redo the seams and see if you get better results and where you get the better results to remember how you seamed that location.
  • MonkeyKing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    0c2kb.png

Well this is the new one and trying a few things,and going to try what Mark said but do you have anymore details or link to how to do it you're way,and yes plan to use alot of details in the texture
  • MonkeyKing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MWuhk.jpg

So I think I got it down only flat colours because it's late here and now trying to put it onto the model.Please say if I did anything wrong,cheers!

Plus a huge thanks to everyone who help me and if they have a way to put it on that's easy for an idiot like me to do please do say!
  • MonkeyKing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BQhAT.png

I know it looks terrible but I got it applied just need to do more detail on the texture itself.

So cheers to everyone who help and once again if you know something that is horribly wrong in any of these please do say cheers again all!