Home General Discussion

Bookmark Organization - How do you deal with it?

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
Heya peeps,

Quick question, how do you guys organize and keep dump of all your bookmarks?

Currently, I'm using FireFox, and I have soo many bookmarks, that it's starting to look like a Rat's nest, where I can't make head/tails of anything.

I tried keeping them organized in Folders, but sometimes, I have to click 5 folder 5 times before I reach a link I'm looking for.

So yeah, any hints? I heard Google has a nice Bookmark option connected to your account, but am not too sure about it, since I can't find any info on how stuff is organized, and if anyone else can see my links.

Cheers!

Replies

• Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    Make it a point to go through your bookmarks at some time and get rid of old ones that you haven't even bothered to go to again. You don't need it. It'll also help you find out if the link is dead.

Don't be a bookmark hoarder.
  • chrismaddox3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrismaddox3d polycounter lvl 17
    I use Gimme Bar and just started using pearltrees.
    Both keep it clean and organized and very visual to see what sites you saved.
    I highly recommend either one.
    Your favorites are portable logging in your free account on any computer.
    https://gimmebar.com/
    http://www.pearltrees.com
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    I just use the wiki.
    getmecoat.gif
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond wrote: »
    Make it a point to go through your bookmarks at some time and get rid of old ones that you haven't even bothered to go to again. You don't need it. It'll also help you find out if the link is dead.

Don't be a bookmark hoarder.
    I wish man :/

An example of what I mean is I have folder called Portfolio, then, I have two categories, called Crew and Artist (crew is for company, outsource type of stuff, artist is for single peeps).

From there, I have separate categories, 2D, 3D and Tech, and then break it down to Environment, Character, General (all artist), Low-Poly (Iphone kinda of stuff), and Concept (Peeps who draw concept art and do high poly sculpts and don't retopo stuff for 'workable' products).

So yeah, it's not so much as me hoarding as sometimes clicking stuff over and over again just to find something, I tried simplifying stuff to 2D/3D and such, but then I have something like 100+ bookmarks per folder, so it adds to the confusion more.
    I use Gimme Bar and just started using pearltrees.
    Both keep it clean and organized and very visual to see what sites you saved.
    I highly recommend either one.
    Your favorites are portable logging in your free account on any computer.
    https://gimmebar.com/
    http://www.pearltrees.com

Nice, although a pity one of them is a Beta and the other is heavily Flash based, but the video makes them look awesome in their current state, will give them a whirl, thanks!
    I just use the wiki.
    getmecoat.gif

You can stay ;P *Ba-Dum-Tish*
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It sounds like you need a "flatter" hierarchy rather than a "deeper" one. I don't think I have any more than 3 levels of folders in my bookmarks. Let's take a look (abridged version):
    Edu
        Subject specific subfolders (Math, Psychology, Game Design, Science, Law, etc..)
        Podcasts/Interviews
    Business
        Marketing
        Payment Processing
        Analytics
    Dev
        Language specific subfolders
            Libraries
            Tutorials
        Postmortems
        General dev sites go here no subfolders
    Game
    Art
        Visual Reference
            Subject specific subfolders
        Tutorials
    Programs
        Program specific subfolders
            Addons/Plugins/scripts/whatever
            Tutorials
        General Categories subfolders like Pixel Art, 3D, Utilities
    Blogs (includes portfolios)
        Profession specific subfolders (Artists, Musicians, Programmers, etc...)
    Ent
        Hulu
        Anime/Manga
        Music
        News sites go here no sub folder
    Shop
        Whatever I'm currently looking at buying

Hmm... now that I'm looking at my own organization, looks like I can roll business into edu or reorganize the two a bit...

Maybe something more visual would work? I know you're on Firefox, but surely there are some similar extensions like these for it as well. I've been thinking of giving one of these a try (might make the transition to win8 easier too... even though I'm unlikely to buy it or use it). I'm rambling sorry :)

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/mgmiemnjjchgkmgbeljfocdjjnpjnmcg

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/mncaaockncadogpkmfdnjdekdmjhgmbp
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ^
    Haha, I guess you're right, rolling stuff should the only solution at this point.

And darn it, but nope, FireFox doesn't have anything like that :/
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Switch to Chrome :D
  • OrganizedChaos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OrganizedChaos polycounter lvl 17
    Ben Apuna wrote: »

This :)
    I don't know, chrome has an option to link your bookmarks to your google account- so you can essentially have the same bookmarks at any computer you access and sync to. Might not be what you're looking for, but I love it.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    did you try looking for bookmark add-ons?
  • chrismaddox3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrismaddox3d polycounter lvl 17
    I Strongly Agree.....Love Chrome!!!!!
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    I only Have one bookmark - for polycount !!
  • Jeremy Tabor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Tabor polycounter lvl 13

Yea, what he said. I use a Chrome add-on called Xmarks Bookmarks Synchronizer. It keeps it all in the cloud, maaaaan. But for reals its pretty handy, I can load up my bookmarks from any computer using that app.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I would if I could, problem is, Chrome has this nasty 'Google Updater' in the background 24/7 in my processes, which I recall disabling last time, but it popped up everytime, even after uninstalling Chrome.

So I'm very wary (even from peeps like Google) when certain things that shouldn't exist pop up.
    This :)
    I don't know, chrome has an option to link your bookmarks to your google account- so you can essentially have the same bookmarks at any computer you access and sync to. Might not be what you're looking for, but I love it.

This is interesting, I took another look at Google Bookmark system, and still cannot understand how it works (also, if shows it in Russian for some reason?). I was hoping for a nesting option, but cannot find any information about this.

Sooo, you know...if you have any ideas about this, that would be great.

Yep, but I'm unsure which one to use, and many of them seem to be 'addons' to the current Bookmark system in Firefox, so they aren't really helping in making organization any easier, all they do is add a couple of extra candy options.

I mean I might as well use the Bookmark manager directly.

A few of them allow 'online' options, but unlike ChrisMad's links, they don't allow you to organize things WHILE marking them, if that makes sense.

Anyway, on the subject of things, it looks like Pearltree's is the winner so far, the flash interface isn't the best for performance reasons, but it's very intuitive to use and connects to your Google account if you wish, also, when you select a page, it takes you there through it's own interface, cutting down on tabs and such.

GimmeBar is also good, but doesn't allow for stacking, so it's essentially like Thumbler in bookmarking format. Good for simple backing up I would say.

Cheers!