Home General Discussion

Florida schools - my goals

I kind of wanted to stay local, I live in Ormond Beach, Florida, with college meaning I wouldn't mind traveling anywhere within the state. Im planning on becoming a concept artist/3d modeler (which ever I feel more strongly about in a year) and majoring in either illustration or game art. I got a 27 on my act and a a 1640 on my sat. I'm at about a 3.5 or 4.0 GPA right now. I feel pretty confident about my art. I am, however, poor as hell and require scholarships. I've heard Stetson's art program is good, as well as Ringling's. I do not know which school I should choose, or if I should look at some other schools around florida. Any advice?

cross post from conceptart.org, cghub.com and polycount (wanted to touch base with a wide audience to get a lot of feedback, if you're active on all of these forums - sorry if it's annoying you)

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Art colleges are expensive, there's no way around that. I'd suggest posting some examples of your work. If you are great at concept at already, it may be cheaper to skip school, work on your portfolio for a year with some training dvds and start looking for a job right away. But it really depends on where you skill levels are at. Even if you are completely up to par, some community colleges have some great life drawing and art courses, you don't need to go to a $50k+ school or degree to get a game art job.
  • AZelenski94
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've got some examples of my work in my sketchbook on here, but as for the art schools - I would be fine with not attending an art school - but my father would not, I would get kicked out of my house if I didnt go to a uni :/ unfortunately - he wouldn't be happy unless I got a degree. BUT I would prefer going to an art college, to take my skills (or lack there of) and transform and mold them to a more game/movie concept art style

edit:
    for some reason my signature isnt showing up :/ but here is the link http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=97657
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    other schools, trust me school is not worth it i went and will be in debt forever. Learn on your own dvds practice here and save the money. as long as you can dedicate the time and stay on task youll save alot of money and problably learn more
  • Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    What specifically are you looking to do? I mean, as a career? What's your focus in art? I'd like to see some samples (just for curiosities sake. And decent art schools will require a portfolio, they usually don't have high expectations though.)

I recently graduated from the Art Institute of Tampa. There are a couple other AIs in Florida. Overall not the best bet, but I know people who have gone to: Ai Jacksonville, AI fort lauderdale, Ringling, USF, and full sail, and they ALL complain about how much their school sucks how most teachers don't know anything, etc. I'm not saying that to deter you - I'm just saying, expect that sort of talk regardless of where you go. No college is perfect.

In the end it's really about what you put into it. You can learn a lot from school, and it's good for guidance, but you will probably learn the most on your own. So I say, pick the school that has a curriculum best suited to your needs, are affordable, and convenient to go to.

As for needing scholarships and stuff like that... these schools all WANT you to go to them, and they will likely work very hard to set up a financial plan that will help you. I had to pay a little tuition once a month for my first two quarters, then after some scholarships kicked in I paid nothing for the rest of my time in school. I will still have to pay off loans for quite some time, but that's expected. So don't worry about it too much.
  • AZelenski94
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    here is a more complete portfolio - https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.292834167439158.77263.100001377317107&type=3&l=afb4ec5d22

Im wanting to be a concept artist for game and film development - like do the developmental art for characters, environments, scenes, etc etc.. - and or do the 3d modeling for them. I will definitely be putting my nose to the grind stone this summer and next year and really hitting improvement hard.

thank you all for commenting :)
  • mdeforge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mdeforge polycounter lvl 14
    Others may or may not agree, but a degree in art is... well, it can be a tough journey. That's not to say others professions are less tough, but sometimes its hard to put food on the table when all you have is an art degree.

Have you thought about getting your actual degree in something else that you can fall back on, but secretly polishing your art skills? As an artist, it may be interesting to go for something environmental relatated, or architecture... some field that isn't really related to drawing, but will give you a lot of background. That way, when you go to concept something, you really know how that something works.

Or maybe something art related, but not as hardcore... you can get a graphic design degree for cheap. No need to spend a shit ton on it, just enough to get an associates and start freelancing and building your portfolio.

I do not recommend an expensive art school either. I also don't recommend getting your degree strictly in art. That's just me. Feel free to disagree.
  • AZelenski94
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know i wont be making a crap ton of money; but, yes I am prepared to go all the way with this :). And I might get a minor in something, but I want my major to be "hardcore" art related - if i'm going to go in, go all in right?
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Not worth it at the current prices - especially if the student loan bubble bursts.
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    justin is dead on, with the way the economy is and with everything thats going on with the student loan bubble now is not the time to goto school
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    Hey man, I actually grew up in Port Orange and know a bit about the school thing as well. The biggest point of advice I can give you is school is going to be what you make of it. I graduated HS from Mainland. When I went there I was able to take classes in their Multimedia Academy. I learned some basics with photoshop as well as lightwave when I attended there. For a degree I have an Associates of Science in Computer Animation from Full Sail in Winter Park. As far as degrees go, it's not worth much, but I did learn quite a bit and I value the time I spent there.

Full Sail was ok, but was so fast paced that sometimes it was hard to keep up with what they were teaching. You almost don't have time to absorb the full weight of the lessons you are taught. That being said, they do have some top of the line gear and plenty of open labs where you can hone your skills. The catch to that is you have to force yourself to attend these open labs as much as you can in your spare time. I didn't take advantage of this and I feel that my skills suffered from it.

Depending on if you go to a regular school, sometimes DBCC (I think it's Daytona State College or some nonsense now. over on International Speedway) had some pretty affordable classes for undergrad as well as there art department wasn't too bad. I took some classes there on drawing, painting, and printmaking and have to say that I was impressed. I know that for me the feeling that I had to get the hell out of Daytona was overwhelming, but for the idea of saving money, there are worse places to start.
  • AZelenski94
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus wrote: »
    Hey man, I actually grew up in Port Orange and know a bit about the school thing as well. The biggest point of advice I can give you is school is going to be what you make of it. I graduated HS from Mainland. When I went there I was able to take classes in their Multimedia Academy. I learned some basics with photoshop as well as lightwave when I attended there. For a degree I have an Associates of Science in Computer Animation from Full Sail in Winter Park. As far as degrees go, it's not worth much, but I did learn quite a bit and I value the time I spent there.

Full Sail was ok, but was so fast paced that sometimes it was hard to keep up with what they were teaching. You almost don't have time to absorb the full weight of the lessons you are taught. That being said, they do have some top of the line gear and plenty of open labs where you can hone your skills. The catch to that is you have to force yourself to attend these open labs as much as you can in your spare time. I didn't take advantage of this and I feel that my skills suffered from it.

Depending on if you go to a regular school, sometimes DBCC (I think it's Daytona State College or some nonsense now. over on International Speedway) had some pretty affordable classes for undergrad as well as there art department wasn't too bad. I took some classes there on drawing, painting, and printmaking and have to say that I was impressed. I know that for me the feeling that I had to get the hell out of Daytona was overwhelming, but for the idea of saving money, there are worse places to start.

HOLY SHIT. I'm a junior at mainland! I'm dual enrolled at dbcc (daytona state college now) and well i'm taking a few drawing classes over there too. haha. Wow. but I was thinking about going to full sail, but i heard it isnt really worth the money it costs to go there. Ill definitely be taking some more classes over at DSC next year. Any other tips?
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    I did learn quite a bit at Full Sail, but if you're going in for concept art, I wouldn't recommend it. They're not going to teach you squat when it comes to 2D stuff. I graduated from Mainland back in 2002, so there were not as many learning opportunities as there are now for 3D. Now you have sites like Eat3d, 3D Motive, Gnomon, and digital tutors. You can learn so much on your own if you're truly devoted and in all honesty, the 3D aspect is the easier thing to learn in my opinion. What you need is a strong foundation.

Focus on drawing, painting, and other fine arts. What you learn from these will help you in the long run.
  • AZelenski94
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus wrote: »
    I did learn quite a bit at Full Sail, but if you're going in for concept art, I wouldn't recommend it. They're not going to teach you squat when it comes to 2D stuff. I graduated from Mainland back in 2002, so there were not as many learning opportunities as there are now for 3D. Now you have sites like Eat3d, 3D Motive, Gnomon, and digital tutors. You can learn so much on your own if you're truly devoted and in all honesty, the 3D aspect is the easier thing to learn in my opinion. What you need is a strong foundation.

Focus on drawing, painting, and other fine arts. What you learn from these will help you in the long run.

would you recommend going into fullsail's game art program? if thats what you went into? Did they help with career placement?
  • Dan!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    If you want to be a concept artist I recommend you going to a fine arts school or train yourself- While training in 3d and whatnot isnt going to hurt you- IMO-your time and money would better be spent making sure you can compete in the (just as)highly competitive illustration industry. Rather than spending money on 3darts training you dont need/wont use. Not saying knowing 3d is a bad thing, I just feel you wouldn't need to know nuts and bolts game art production theories/techniques to make badass concept art. Better to spend tuition on honing those 2d skills if thats what you want to do.
  • AZelenski94
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! wrote: »
    If you want to be a concept artist I recommend you going to a fine arts school or train yourself- While training in 3d and whatnot isnt going to hurt you- IMO-your time and money would better be spent making sure you can compete in the (just as)highly competitive illustration industry. Rather than spending money on 3darts training you dont need/wont use. Not saying knowing 3d is a bad thing, I just feel you wouldn't need to know nuts and bolts game art production theories/techniques to make badass concept art. Better to spend tuition on honing those 2d skills if thats what you want to do.

=D thank you
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    When I attended, Game Art was not around. It was strictly "Computer Animation" and focused more on film with a one month lesson on game art. As far as career placement went, they helped 0% in my case. I actually got my current job directly because of Polycount.

I said it before, that I learned quite a bit from Full Sail but the thing is, I should have learned more. It wasn't the schools fault necessarily, the curriculum was well made when I attended, but I should have pushed myself harder. This is what I mean by your school is what you make of it. You can go to a high tech school and still learn nothing even if they have a great curriculum and the best equipment. Or you can take architecture classes at a college and learn foundations for making more believable environment art. Or fine art sculpting lessons that will transfer a working knowledge into ZBrush or Mudbox.

You have another year to decide where you want to go. Don't get me wrong, it's great that you're planning ahead and considering options this far ahead though, but you have some time. Here's what I would say. Apply anywhere you are interested in. It is possible that not everywhere will accept you and it's better to have a fall back than not. Worst case, knock out the first two years at FSC on the cheap, get your AA and then transfer. It's not a bad approach.

Also, apply for any and all scholarships you can. I mean everything, even if it doesn't apply to you. I had it explained to me once (albeit poorly) that most places will who give out specific scholarships need to give them out ( tax reason or some such) and if they have 10 scholarships and only 8 people apply, well they want to give out as much as they can and you may get lucky.
  • ericdigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ericdigital polycounter lvl 13
    I went to Full Sail and while it was nice being surrounded by people into 3d, my debt probably rivals a med students.
  • mdeforge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mdeforge polycounter lvl 14
    Yeah, Full Sail will rape your pocket book. I got my associates in computer animation at a small private school up here in Michigan. Gave me a mile wide knowledge but only six feet deep. The rest of my education I took into my own hands. The internet has been more useful, tbh.
  • J0NNYquid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    J0NNYquid polycounter lvl 5
    As someone who very recently graduated, and looking at all the debt I'm in, and honestly the education isn't any better than one you can get online. To back it up:

Year subscription to Gnomon: 400-500? Too lazy to look it up
    Year subscription to Digital Tutors: 300-400?
    Professional critique and networking via polycount: FREE

Honestly, and I'm sure I'll piss a few people off, but college is becoming more and more of a ripoff. You're told it's the key to your future, but in our arena, the game art arena, that is becoming less and less true. Now, I did find a job post-grad, but that's only because I put in an assload of work outside of the classroom, networking, getting my name out there, etc., etc.

You could spend 60,000 on 4 years of school, or you could get a year to 2 years of tutorials and critique for next to nothing. I know you said your dad will be pissed, but trust me, do yourself a favor, go to community college, get a well-rounded education, make sure you can read, write, and speak effectively, all the while working as hard as you can on your portfolio. You will save yourself so much wasted time and money.

/my opinion
  • AZelenski94
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thank you all for youre opinions. I'll be looking for cheaper alternatives to a major art university :). Could I possibly start networking and all that now? Well aside from what Im already doing? I'm working on improving my skills as much as possible; any more advice on how I could go about doing that?
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    Absolutely start networking now. I mean, you're already here, posting, so thats a +1 against tons of other people. As far as going to school for art.. i have good and bad things to say about it. My work wouldnt be where it is today if not for going to school, but the school (and teachers) dont get credit for that. having assignments with deadlines taught me to get my shit done, and the heavy work load just helped me manage quality/time spent. I cant really say i learned too much from the teachers at school, mostly from peers and online communities such as this.

I wouldnt say not to get a degree at all.. because now i see more and more jobs requiring it, so you definitely would want to go to a school for art, but you'll really just need to go in KNOWING that you will not learn everything you'll need to know from your instructors. Practicing on the side and doing projects with friends/peers is a great way to keep your skills sharpened. Most people who i went to school with expected that theyd either A. be playing video games all day, or B. have a "make art button." and never put forth any effort. Its frustrating to deal with but so long as you surround yourself with people who are determined, you cant go wrong.
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    Oniram wrote: »
    but you'll really just need to go in KNOWING that you will not learn everything you'll need to know from your instructors

This applies to everything, it isn't specific to our industry. Anyone who thinks they can literally be taught everything about any subject without putting in any effort themselves is either spoilt, lazy or just stupid.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    school is important idk where other people are saying. not looking for a debate. i was faced with the same question and i made the right decision to go.

do a few years of community college getting fundamentals out of the way. then apply and finish your degree at a game school. i can recommend full sail, some of the art institutes, usc and scad. they rae pricy but if you finish your gen eds for a few thousand youll be in a better place.
  • AZelenski94
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the help guys. honestly. Ill be going to a school. Probably not the more expensive ones (unless I get a miracle and get some scholarship). And of course Ill work my ass off during and after school.