Home General Discussion

I got bored from tutorials, but they are the only one to learn.

I don't what's the problem guys, but i really got bored from DT. I mean, the way they teach and present the work or something, i really got bored and not showing much interest, and waiting just to finish the video.

I also did, muting the sound, and just watching the videos.

Gnomon are great, and too much for my level to watch.Lynda is good, but don't have much tutorials for 3D.

I am looking a tutorial for creating character/creature hard surface etc.
The only tutorials i found for that is DT, but every month they release the same shit.

Do you guys know any good and proffesional artist, who knows what's going on, and how to explain things?

What about Cg Talk Workshop?
Also i found ZackPetrol Master class, for character and creature design.

Replies

• Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    They can cost a lot those workshops though.

Digital tutors is good for the buttons. The voice over guy is a little bit annoying sometimes too. If you are only looking for modelling, go with Eat 3d all the way. But DT can be great for other stuff like rigging, rendering, animation... All depends on what you need I guess. Eat 3d have a hard surface DVD on modelling a tractor thing. I've not bought that one but if its of the same quality as the other ones, you're in safe hands.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    1. post art
    2. get criticism
    3. ???
    4. profit!
  • lefix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lefix polycounter lvl 11
    there are in fact very few good tutorials. i prefer ones that get quickly run through everything i need to know without repeating steps over and over in a 20 hr project. Eat3d and 3dmotive are probably my favorite sources, mixed in with some free ones from cgtuts+ and also a few gonomons, altho most gnomons are very lengthy, too. I am not a big fan of DT either, those are so slow. I also watch tutorials in 1.5x or even 2x speed as long as i am still able to understand the speaker :D
  • Kuledo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For now i want to focus for modeling. Yea i want to get the tractor tutorials, but can i apply in Maya? 3D motive are awesome. Have learnt everything from them, than DT. Shame they get more videos for 3D max and not for Maya.

P.S I hate DT, because, everything which button to press the button, nothing more than that.

PPS, Also Simply is awesome source for maya, for hard surface modeling.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    As long as you can work out what the equivalent tools in Maya are to Max, then you'll be fine with the tractor tutorial. I went through as much of it as I thought was valuable in Maya myself.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kuledo wrote: »
    For now i want to focus for modeling. Yea i want to get the tractor tutorials, but can i apply in Maya? 3D motive are awesome. Have learnt everything from them, than DT. Shame they get more videos for 3D max and not for Maya.

P.S I hate DT, because, everything which button to press the button, nothing more than that.

PPS, Also Simply is awesome source for maya, for hard surface modeling.

Hmm, hard surface for Maya... Nothing comes to mind straight away. Probably your best bet is cgtuts+ then.

And don't knock DT for being 'just about the buttons'. This proves very useful for learning new software and getting to grips with new releases! ;)
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Oi now, lets keep things objective.

DT is good for basics and to getting to know your software without it looking like a insurmountable mountain, that's what they always did and kept on doing for ages.

Is it boring? Maybe, but it's functional, useful and serves its purpose. Forgot a software you used some time ago? Or need to learn a new one? DT is here to help.

On the other hand, if you want specialized tutorials, which have more 'robust' and advanced requirements (without taking time to explain the basics, so you're trading one thing for another) I suggest Eat3D.

3DMotive is the mushy middle, as in they explain the basics to some of the more complex issues with a pipeline (Normals baking with splits, Norma bending for trees, pull in and outs of base animations, etc).

So pick your tool, but honestly, tutorials aren't the issue here...
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    [edit]
    What Fearian says below
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    "this^" is great advice for building up skill at something, but absolutely useless advice for learning a thing from scratch.* You know what happens if you post 'my first ever 3d model'? There is so much missing in the fundamentals that people will tell you to go off and do tutorials.

DT is great for learning new software. It's slow but effective. Some of the CG tuts 'modelling an X day N' videos are great for picking up workflow tips and expanding on this knowledge. If you have some money, 3d motive has great beginner to intermediate stuff, and then eat 3d has even more fantastic intermediate and high level content.

*That said, obviously constant practice is essential.
  • Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    Why do you need DVD tutorials? Back in my day (i'm in my late 50's) we went out and did crappy models after crappy models for learning, there was no DVD tutorials!

We did have web tutorials, many sucked, this one didn't:
    http://www.3dtotal.com/ffa/tutorials/max/joanofarc/joanmenu.asp

Hard surface tutorial:
    http://vimeo.com/10941211
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    meeting Joan changed my life ;_;

:D
  • respawnrt
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    r_fletch_r wrote: »
    meeting Joan changed my life ;_;

:D

Hehe, that tutorial does seem to be the most common when people talk about starting with characters, I know that I had a lot of fun with it as well.

Personally, while video tutorials can be great, they can be a pain when you are looking for a certain feature, compared to written tutorials, as you cannot do a 'text/video' search for it. On the other hand, its really good for when you need to know the program, especially if the author, while he is doing things with buttons and menus, mentions the shortcuts as well.

But beside tutorials, learning by doing is a personal favorite of mine. Pick something you want to make, and then try doing it. Often my projects (when its for fun) tend to take a long time, because I keep trying different things to get my result. Is extruding the box best with a turbosmooth, or will a spline and loft work better, etc.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hang on... I just checked the DT website and there's a crapload of hard-surface modelling content!

http://www.digitaltutors.com/training/maya/modeling-tutorials

Look at that transforming robot thingamajigger and the weapon modelling tut just released. 13 hours that one, might go through that one meself... :thumbup:
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
  • TipsyMonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eck! *Knife to the chest* :)

Hey everyone! I'm the game design instructor at DT. I will definitely take all of your feedback and implement it into my courses. Pace seems to be the main complaint here. I was where you are at one point. I wanted to push myself to the next level but unfortunately, the tutorials for my level were few and far between. I was bored with the beginner's stuff but didn't feel comfortable with the "professional level" courses. This is where projects came in handy. I'd get inspired by another artist, a movie, a game, etc. and do my best to create something from it. I think all artist find themselves here at one point or another. Stay patient and have fun.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You just never know who be creepin on Polycount.

Personally I think you guys are doing a great job, and I'd be rather picky. Kinda leaning towards 3D programs a bit much though IMO, would like to see you guys return to equal parts 3D and 2D programs like Flash. Gives us subscribers something fun and new to try to change up from our daily routine.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TipsyMonk wrote: »
    Eck! *Knife to the chest* :)

Hey everyone! I'm the game design instructor at DT. I will definitely take all of your feedback and implement it into my courses.

awesome, nice to see you guys are keeping an eye on things.
  • Zyloh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zyloh polycounter lvl 8
    I think tutorials can be really powerful for learning tips and shortcuts that other artists use. At the end of the day though it is hard to retain all of the information, especially if you have watched a thousand tutorials.

I highly suggest just posting your work on this forum and really try to soak in all the critiques that come in. It can be an amazing feeling to literally watch your skill improve from page 1 to page 5 in a thread where you took advice from others. Good luck! :)
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    Psyk0 wrote: »
    Why do you need DVD tutorials? Back in my day (i'm in my late 50's) we went out and did crappy models after crappy models for learning, there was no DVD tutorials!

^ srsly :)

DVD tutorials are much cheaper than a college tuition, but posting to polycount is much cheaper than that! admittedly, it is harder to get feedback - but if you create a thread and keep updating it with your [self motivated] progress, people will start to notice and post.
  • Kuledo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks you guys for the great respond. I will post something, when i will have something to show, till then i need to learn from tutorials and such.

I am always inspired from high end character/creature from features and cinematic game. watching the trailers for every game, from Blizzard and Blur that make, and any sci-fi features films. I really want to know how to make these, but i don't seems to find any king of these, .

DT, is focused more on beginner to low poly character tutorials, The creative tutorials, are really short.

Gnomon, are time lapse tutorials, can't see shit whats going on, not even learn something from them.Like, the tutorials from Bulgarov, the guy work at Blizzard, and can't make a single tutorial, that is not 3000 times fast? Also, the guy, Alvarez, or whatever is spelled.

Eat3D, same as DT.

3D motive the same, i really like the chest from the guy here, got it, and have learnt it lot from that.

You know guys, i am also ready to have private class form someone, who will teach me this. Paying for Gnomon and DT, is not even worth for me,.i just keep waiting from month to month, for next releases to see good tutorials for high end character creation, i even requested this kind of tutorials to them.

Yea, i know that this will take months to make,but better to make something in 6 months, or how much foes it takes to make character for cinematic.
  • xk0be
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Do you have 2 monitors or at least a secondary screen, say a laptop? If you have already done this then nvm but I suggest trying to have the vid on the background while you're following along. Don't just watch it like its a movie, have it on while you're doing it. You can pause to catch up or rewind if he did something too fast etc thats obvious, but mostly you'd be working alongside a tutorial following it and having a voice guide you as well. It is a lot more entertaining than just watching it like a movie.

There's no simple video that will right away teach you how to do stuff perfectly btw, I think that should be said. It will take months and months of practice even if you have the video embedded into your eyes. But they do help, so, you say you want stuff that isn't super sped up and character/creatures..... I have some suggestions.

http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/store/product/875/Introduction-to-Character-Modeling
    http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/store/product/153/Character-Modeling-for-Production
    http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/store/product/928/Stylized-Character-Modeling-for-Production
    http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/store/product/523/Character-Modeling-for-Next-Gen-Games

So just a few, you can find way more obviously on eat, motive, DT etc. The first ones real good I think. For the speed, just slow it down! Search up some video slowdown tuts and do it, it shouldn't be hard. If the audio gets messed up then just have the audio on something else and mute the slowed one or find a way to only slow the video track. It can be done with a little work.

If you want something more in class form, I know there's some sort of thing ryan kingslein does or did.. Try and find out. Zbrushworkshops.com but yeah thats only zbrush so perhaps no class and you need a dvd for the modeling portion. Main thing I wanna say tho is try and follow along instead of watching it like a movie..
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    I don't what's the problem guys, but i really got bored from DT. I mean, the way they teach and present the work or something, i really got bored and not showing much interest, and waiting just to finish the video.

I also did, muting the sound, and just watching the videos.

Gnomon are great, and too much for my level to watch.Lynda is good, but don't have much tutorials for 3D.

I am looking a tutorial for creating character/creature hard surface etc.
    The only tutorials i found for that is DT, but every month they release the same shit.

Do you guys know any good and proffesional artist, who knows what's going on, and how to explain things?

What about Cg Talk Workshop?
    Also i found ZackPetrol Master class, for character and creature design.

It is like that since DT doesnt pace stuff but create them in the real time.

There are going to be many explanations for one method, but if you understand how that method is processed then you can simply just practice that while experimenting with it.

If you are done with the 3d modeling basics and Zbrush basics you can simply move on to stuff like Eat 3d. They dont have many tutorials as well but so far the stuff I got from Eat 3d doesnt put me to sleep because its exciting and the video is kind of paced up.

Gnomon is also a great place to buy tutorials from. But if you can tell us what exactly you want to be, we can guide you to the specific tutorials. For some things you dont even need tutorials but an explanation and lots of practice.

For me DT was great, it helped me get to the intermediate level from the beginners level. Eat3d was great for me because they dont start everything from the beginning and explain you everything, or they would briefly tell you what everything does and get right in to the project without talking about the concept art for hours. Plus if you want a solid piece of tutorial reference for your 3d arts, Eat 3d is the way to go.

Gnomon, FZD, and the comic archives were great for me because they teach how to make concept on a piece of paper, not in photoshop, which I believe is very essential for my own learning since that took me from making doodles to drawing, inking anatomy, poses, dynamics, and shadow. I am sure that Gnomon have better tutorials for Zbrush and all but their traditional arts is great.
  • Kuledo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I will continue with the Dt tutorials until i get some more experience.

Let's put aside, DT, Gnomon, Eat3D FZD.

What about tutorials from CgTalk workshops and i just found it recently a workshop from grassetti? What do you know about this courses. I really got interest from Katon course cgtalk workshop, also from Bryan, but i want to know more of the course how it's going.

And also i want to know this dude Grassetti? Does any attend his course?http://grassettiart.com/workshop.html
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    CGTalk workshops are worth every penny. Great instructors and the lessons are full of info. I've taken both Katon's and Bryan's courses and would do it again for sure.

Bryan's is more sculpting focused and Katon's goes through the entire pipeline of character creation.

I took them almost two years ago and still have access to the vid. can shoot either of them an email if I need feedback and they're both still happy to help
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What do you know about this courses.

They are going to cost you a lot more than a few Eat 3D DVD's would. And they are often for people at a level a bit higher than yours. More advanced like. (No offence intended. It just sounds like you're just starting out.)

EDIT: Well actually LRoy has actually done them, so better listen to him :) Didn't see his post before posting. If you have the money, why not? I just think Eat 3D will do as good a job, but maybe the more interactive parts of the course will give you some initiative?
  • Kuledo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you guys, i will attend Katon's workshop, soon or later. But i got really interest on the workshop from Rafael Grassetti, but this guy i can't in touch. Send it him many messages. Does you guys know him, or know his workshop?

http://grassettiart.com/workshop.html