Home General Discussion

I'm looking to get down to the grind, any advice?

Hey there Polycount!

So far I think i'm more notorious for posting threads such as this than P&P threads, but here we are again.

As usual, I don't feel my work is "good enough", but I've been challenged by members here to get a job within the year (I've got a couple months left), and well, I need help. There goes the saying, "its not what you know, its who you know", and I need to know more people.

The purpose of this thread is to find someone, or a group of people willing to help, maybe take a gamble, and help a young man with more determination than a stampeding herd of buffalo.

My father worked as an animator at Disney and Warner Brothers studios for years before the anime invasion, and studied with Bern Hogarth and Glenn Vilpu, so I was born with a pencil in my hand. I picked up my first copy of 3ds Max in fifth grade (V6) and I've been running with it ever since. I don't have the money for college, and due to my traveling the country when I was younger, I don't qualify for many student loans (and having to redo my fafsa application every time I decide I need formal training is getting old). I'm unemployed and have no money for any good training videos (eat3d, etc), and the only internet I have is ran through my phone.

Any advice, help, or plain old "get off your ass and work that portfolio" are more than welcome, I just really sincerely need help; This has been my dream since I was seven years old, when I first picked up a 3d modeling app, and over the last eleven years I haven't stopped learning, haven't given up, but I don't know where to even start.

PMs are welcome, as are public posts, and Linkedin connections.

Sincerely,
Payton Quinn

Replies

• Seirei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How about getting off your ass and work that portfolio? :P

Other than that, I guess meeting people is a good way of networking, there seem to be many meet ups on bigger events or sometimes just for fun.

Personally I met some pretty awesome people at the meed up in London, it was a great experience and overall I had a great time.
    I'm not sure how much this experience will help me in any way to get a job in the future, but I guess it's better than missing out on it.

So my advice would be to just look out for these threads and see if somethings in your local area. Oh and as helpfull as it can be to have some friends in the industry, if you're not up to the task you won't stay long, so keep practicing and make some stuff that people here can give critique on to help you to improve.
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Do what I'm doing and work on a project that pushes you. It must also be impressive enough to get some sort of attention aka Hire Me.

Where's your portfolio anyway?
  • EzMeow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EzMeow polycounter lvl 10
    Work on your portfolio, networking will only help your portfolio to be seen~
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    work on that portfolio dude! one unfinished character wont get you a job no matter who you know.

just browse some of the badass polycount artists portfolios and see what kind of stuff you need. i remember there was a portfolio thread around with a collection of some cool "how to do it" portfolios linked up, but cant find it now..
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    Networking wise, don't be afraid to hit people up on MSN or Skype or PMs for advice! Or even a chat.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's not about who you know, its about what you can do.

You really don't want to work for a guy who hires people because they're good drinking buddies...

Work on your portfolio and reach out to people you respect, for advice and critique. If you do that the connections will make themselves. You really don't want to try and schmooze people and then not have anything to show for it or have nothing to offer but "I'll be your best buddy".

People in the industry aren't going to recommend people they know if they aren't sure they can do the job. Getting their feedback and showing them what you're working on is a great way for that to happen.
  • marks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    ...help a young man with more determination than a stampeding herd of buffalo.

And what have you done with that determination and passion? Words are easy, work is hard. You haven't even posted a link to your portfolio.
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "its not what you know, its who you know"

Its more like...what you know, plus who you know, plus a lot of luck.

Honestly, threads like this aren't helping you. If you want to get your name out there to know people..threads like this are more damaging than helpful. I'm not going to remember you for how awesome you are, I'm going to remember you for making posts like this...

If you want to stand out and get help, dont tell us that you have more determination than a stampeding buffalo, words are empty.

Do work, post it..consider any feedback that you get..and work on improving. If you don't get feedback (I see a couple of your posts didn't), then keep going until you do.

Really, my best advice is this: Nobody is going to hold your hand and get you where you need to go...you have to put in the effort. Make yourself a portfolio, practice, practice, practice, and get your name out there in a positive way.
  • PaulP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaulP polycounter lvl 9
    If you're broke and you find thats affecting your work (like paying for internet to put a portfolio online or find training) get a job, any job. I've had low paying part-time jobs since I was 16, and thats helped me through college, university, and online training. Plus if I do get a job offer, I'll have enough money to travel there and support myself if I have to move.

Also working in crappy low-paying job gives me alot of drive to get the hell out of there and find 'real work'. Plus if somewhere down the line I get a job then I lose it and I'm having trouble finding professional work, I'll have a solid CV that'l get me any generic unskilled job to get me by until I find fulltime employment again.

I'm not too proud to work for a low-wage, aslong as that low-wage helps get me to where I want to go :)
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    You're not going to get a job without anything in your portfolio.

Make something.
  • ericdigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ericdigital polycounter lvl 13
    @SCB - same, I worked at a target between studio jobs after I was laid off, gotta do what you gotta do!

I know you don't want the "get off your ass and work that portfolio" advice but seriously what else is there. Studios don't take leaps of faith on people. Get a shitty job and save up for some training dvds if you need them and do what you have to do. Why should someone stick there neck out for someone when there is plenty of hardworking folk that at least have substantial portfolio proof they are trying?