Home Technical Talk

how do you apply AO to objects with tileable textures?

a-k-m
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
a-k-m polycounter lvl 5
Hello,

I have an object with tileable textures, which its texture coordinates are out of the 0-1 space. That means I can neither bake an ambient occlusion map nor a normal map.

At the moment I just threw the regular diffuse map into crazybump and baked out my normalmap there... but what can I do to have AO for the whole object, without having a map?

Hope someone can help me out.

Cheers, Andr

Replies

• Ben Cloward
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ben Cloward polycounter lvl 18
    How about baking the AO into the vertex colors? Or applying a second set of UV coordinates? The only other option I can think of is to do the AO in real-time in your game engine.
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    you could bake simple AO into your vertices
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
  • MrNinjutsu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrNinjutsu greentooth
    You could integrate it into the texture. Set the AO on top as Multiply for the blend mode. Probably best to change the hue of it too.
  • Kbrom12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kbrom12 polycounter lvl 8
    I use a second UV channel to solve this problem
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kbrom12 wrote: »
    I use a second UV channel to solve this problem

Depends on your engine, but if this is allowed beware that it pretty much duplicates your verticies.
  • wirrexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx quad damage
    is there any good tutorial on doing this in Maya? Cheers
  • marks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    Computron wrote: »
    Depends on your engine, but if this is allowed beware that it pretty much duplicates your verticies.

It adds less than you think - does depend on the context though. Most AAA-level artwork has a lot of data saved in the verts already, adding another UV channel is comparatively not as much of a performance cost as you would think - in that scenario.
  • AlexLeighton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Why not unwrap within the 0-1 box? You can still use a tiling diffuse texture, you'll just have to increase the tiling however much is necessary. Then bake your AO and multiply it onto the tiling diffuse in your material.
  • St.Sabath
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    St.Sabath polycounter lvl 11
    wirrexx wrote: »
    is there any good tutorial on doing this in Maya? Cheers

very simple:
    assuming youre using MR as a render engine,set your dropdown menu to "Rendering"(Yellow dots),then in the Lighting/Shading menu (Green dots)
    select Batch bake(mental ray),go to the options of it.Next set your options in this dialog eitther to texture or verts and bake.you can play around with the different options here to suit your needs..
    Then after you baked it it appears as ao only on the object,to mix it with the diffuse and other maps,go back to your Polygon menuset(Yellow dots) and then go to Color-->Color material channel,and then choose Ambient+Diffuse.
    VertBake.jpg
  • wirrexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx quad damage
    St.Sabath wrote: »
    very simple:
    assuming youre using MR as a render engine,set your dropdown menu to "Rendering"(Yellow dots),then in the Lighting/Shading menu (Green dots)
    select Batch bake(mental ray),go to the options of it.Next set your options in this dialog eitther to texture or verts and bake.you can play around with the different options here to suit your needs..
    Then after you baked it it appears as ao only on the object,to mix it with the diffuse and other maps,go back to your Polygon menuset(Yellow dots) and then go to Color-->Color material channel,and then choose Ambient+Diffuse.
    VertBake.jpg

Much Appreciated!
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    If you have direct access to the shader, overlay it ontop of your diffuse result based upon the shadow direction.
  • a-k-m
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    a-k-m polycounter lvl 5
    First of all thanks for the advices!
    I tried it with the radiosity. The results are not too satisfying. Also it seems that the 3point shader lite I am using is not displaying the vertex paint in the viewport.

Anyway, maybe I will try it with two UV-layouts. Do you guys have a quick explanation how I set up two UV-Layouts? Does the CryEngine support 2 UV-Layouts?

The solution of tiling the texture itself more would work if the uv-layout wasn't so widely spread.

Here's a pic of the object and its uv-layout:
    33659807.jpg

Thank you for your help!
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    Ace-Angel wrote: »
    If you have direct access to the shader, overlay it ontop of your diffuse result based upon the shadow direction.

What do you mean by this Ace? AO isnt directional.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I mean do what Uncharted did ;P
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel wrote: »
    I mean do what Uncharted did ;P

link?
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    What do you mean by this Ace? AO isnt directional.
    Shouldn't it be though? I might be understanding the term wrong, or at least how it relates to the shadow direction, but ideally you shouldn't see AO where a direct light is hitting?
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    My shader shows vertexcolors, you could try that.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think it's this one?

http://advances.realtimerendering.com/s2010/Hable-Uncharted2(SIGGRAPH%202010%20Advanced%20RealTime%20Rendering%20Course).pptx

Basically, what Cyrid said, the AO map should 'appear' in the shadow-ed part of mesh, while anything hitting with direct light should be washed out, true values, bleached, etc whatever you want to do, but shouldn't have hard shadows/ambient.

Is it 100% correct? Nope, but we're still ages away from having pixel level AO from the Normal map as opposed to just vertex/general shape, and other then Fight Club, I don't think I have seen any other game engine do proper AO in self-shadowed models.
  • Olli.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Olli. polycounter lvl 8
    cryrid wrote: »
    Shouldn't it be though? I might be understanding the term wrong, or at least how it relates to the shadow direction, but ideally you shouldn't see AO where a direct light is hitting?
    Having a light shining on AO doesnt actually remove the AO. The AO is still there, but you just cant see it because the directional light is lighting up the surface, and therefore removing the effect of the AO from that area.

Afaik AO and diffuse/specular lighting are done in seperate passes, so there is no way to remove AO from an area by using directional lights. You can only "hide" it.

edit: just adding on to that: If you do what has been suggested here in the thread and bake the AO in the vertex colors, then the diffuse color of the model will be darker, and it wont be able to be cancelled out anymore (since even though AO and directional lights are different things, they are both still lights).
  • unstoppablex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so if you baked vertex AO, how would that carry over to game engines?
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What do you mean? If your importer supports them and any potential intermediate format has them enabled, then they should cary over perfectly.
  • unstoppablex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron wrote: »
    What do you mean? If your importer supports them and any potential intermediate format has them enabled, then they should cary over perfectly.

i tried to do import it from 3ds max to udk and the shading didn't stick
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid wrote: »

you mask your indirect light with it. then add that to your direct. Its in no way directional or related to your scene lights. Theres nothing physical about AO though its just a fake to help simulate GI, so i guess you can use it like you want. Also far be it from me to critique the guys at naughty dog. they know their shit (i cant read powerpoint docs, so i cant comment on what they're doing.)
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    i tried to do import it from 3ds max to udk and the shading didn't stick

If you import it as a FBX it should bring the vertex colours in. Make sure you have replace vertex colours turned on.

http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/FBXImporterUserGuide.html

Then you just have to setup a shader with the vertex colour multiplied over the top of the diffuse.
  • unstoppablex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ahh i got it working! i've done vertex painting in udk but didn't know vertex color information could be transferred without a map! pretty neat. thanks