Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[CE/Max] 1994 Ford Explorer (Jurassic Park)

Hi all

First post here, a guy at work recommended I put this on the polycount forums...so this is something I've been working on for the last few months. By profession I'm a games and level designer, however I learnt 3D Max at uni and made a couple of small (crappy) props back then, after which I went into a job at Codemasters for a few years where I used Max to make racing game tracks. I've now decided to focus on crafting a proper model, for almost the first time I guess. Given how I like to tie my work into movies I decided to create the Jurassic Park Ford Explorer and set it in a JP inspired Cryengine scene, along with a couple of other props. Reference for the car (not the scene) is below:

jurassicparkexplorer.jpg

During the course of this project I hope to learn about quite a few new processes, including proper modelling, unwrapping, texturing (something I've not done much at all, I've just bought a graphics tablet for this purpose) and new lighting techniques within Cryengine. I don't however know if I'm creating a low poly or just a high poly though, i'm not trying to be an artist after all just making a scene for the portfolio and learning some new stuff.

Currently I'm still at the stage of creating the car - it's still missing a few details and things like windscreen wipers and I need to re-do the tyre treads as the ones pictured were my first attempt and I'm not overly happy with them. I think however now is a good time to gather any feedback, before I start the unwrapping process. So, critiques welcome!

Also, excuse the renders if they're not that great, i'm new to Vray and rendering in general too :)

WIP Renders:

3wire.jpg

89403353.jpg

60193565.jpg

36454012.jpg

Replies

• Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    perspective renders dude! :) LOoks great tho!
  • PHaynes888
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, see I said I was a noob :) I'll render with cameras next time!
  • mr gelmir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr gelmir polycounter lvl 10
    no need for cameras, just press 'P' to set your viewport in perspective mode before you press the render button ;)
    for all I can see the car looks very nice =D
    I'm sure you'll add in the little elements later
  • PHaynes888
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks :) Yeah minor details are still being worked in, updated renders to add perspective, going to have to look into the blotchy shadows/backdrop for my next set
  • Kot_Leopold
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kot_Leopold polycounter lvl 10
    This is looking great, keep going with it! :)
  • untoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks great! well detailed, i'm going through a Hummer right now and is being a nightmare (first time that i get into vehicles :P)
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    blast from the past :)

one small comment though, the tire profiles look a little too chunky in my opinion, like armored plate. otherwise very nice!
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Either you have some weird perspective going on, or it's a bit too wide.
    Looks like you are missing some very subtle curves on certain areas, like the hood. It looks slightly boxy compared to the refpic. The bumper bars on the front are the worst, they look really simplified and off.
    Wheels are really off, they look like rounded toy car wheels. I'd redo them. Also why not go for the rims on the ref? I like them more, they're a bit more 90ies.
    And take my word: if you plan on baking normalmaps, modeling the tire treads is wasted effort. I'm a 100% sure you can get better results doing the tread in 2D with Photoshop.

Other than that pretty good work!
  • AlexLeighton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks awesome overall, but I agree with others that the tires are a bit chunky. I also think the ram bar on the front isn't sticking out enough, it's a bit further from the grill on the ref pic.
  • PHaynes888
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers guys, i'll have a look at the chunky tyres and the ram bars, as I said I plan on re-doing the tyre treads anyway but maybe i'll look into this Photoshop option

@Xoliul

The cars definately not too wide, at least according to the reference pics I used, so it's probably just the perspective? I'll have a look at the bonnet curves and see if I can reduce the boxiness and the bumper bars - anything specifically I could improve on them? They seem quite smooth and clean in the reference is all.

I might re-do the rims too I guess then, I did intend to copy the originals but then ended up doing something different as the originals seemed a bit complicated. Maybe i'll just bite the bullet on that one and give it a go anyway.

Thanks for the feedback so far all :)
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok I looked at ref a bit more:
    It's the windshield that's off most. Yours is very flat compared to the real one. It's a lot more curved from left to right.
    The hood doesn't seem to rise up enough towards the windshield. Compare the area above the horizontal crease: it gets a lot taller towards the mirrors
    Sides and front are curved more
    Your connections between windows and body are very harsh and sharp, need to be smoother.

I made you a paintover. Might seem like silly things but see this as high-level feedback. It's what makes the difference between an OK car mode and a really good one. A lot of commercial games don't even get this right IMO.
  • Mio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mio polycounter lvl 13
    it's beautiful!!
    @_@
  • PHaynes888
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's great Xoliul thanks, I'll try to get some of that looked at this week. I've already resigned myself to the fact that this won't be a 100% likeness of the reference, I took some liberties in various parts of the model, but if I can get some of this stuff sorted and improve on what I've done so far i'm all for it
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I can understand what you're saying, but please don't go dismiss inaccuracies as deliberate choices. When it comes to cars, I think it should just be done right if you're basing yourself on a real one. There's no point in deliberately going for only partial accuracy, other than showing that you're unable to see the problems or unwilling to adjust them.
    Let me try and explain myself a bit more: I'll go out on a limb and say that these subtle curves and shapes are like anatomy for characters. To an untrained eye it looks the same, but it makes all the difference in achieving that final, top quality level. For external elements like bumpers and lights you can always change it a bit, as long as it stays passable and believable. Your design choices for the bumper come off a bit thin and flimsy for example, not very fitting for the tough image of the car.

I might sound really harsh here, but I think you're doing very well for a first car model (I think it is your first?) and that you're got what it takes to turn this into something really good. As a tip, since I know adjusting these subtleties can be very annoying: selective FFD's are a lifesaver. You can achieve a lot by just making the correct vertex selections and applying an FFD. Try it, and you might see it makes a lot of difference in effort to make the changes I suggested!
  • PHaynes888
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I will try that thanks, and yes it's my first car model. Just to clarify, I did try to go for full accuracy and still am, however parts of the car I was unable to gain clear reference for (it's quite an old film and there's not many good images out there) I did end up winging it a bit on. Things like the tyres and the rims though I have no excuse for :) They're on my to-re-do list

Also I don't think you sound harsh, part of my job as a designer has always been to accept criticism from all angles and take it on board, it's just part of working in the industry, so I'm all in favour of gaining advice from those more experienced than I am, that's why I posted here
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    Xoliul has sharp eyes.. wouldn't have spotted many of those..
  • toren3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    toren3d polycounter lvl 7
    Going to jump on the "the tires bug me" bandwagon. I'd like to see you do the true brand/model tire that is in the shot. Good ole BF Goodrich All Terrains: Pics Here

Don't forget about the small details like windshield wipers too.

Things are looking pretty good though, so keep on truckin!
  • jordan.kocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jordan.kocon polycounter lvl 6
    I think this was mentioned, but the treads on the tires are very strange, I would look up some more reference on those.
  • PHaynes888
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So this week when i've had time i've mainly been looking over the points Xoliul raised, meaning I bought the windshield forward, curved it length-ways and upwards at the base, rounded off the sides of the vehicle, the bonnet and numerous other subtle tweaks to try to get it to better match the reference - the FFD modifiers are a life saver thanks for mentioning those :). Thickened up and adjusted the front bumper too and bent it out of shape a little so it didn't look so straight. Also I modelled some new tyre treads based off the Goodrich All Terrain tyres linked to in this thread.

Still need to make new rims and haven't got round to adding windscreen wipers and all those other details yet. Renders still need work too

newer1.jpg

newestwire.jpg
  • PHaynes888
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pretty much done with the modelling stage now, bar some final tweaks all over the mesh, quite keen to start unwrapping and texturing it all now!

C&C welcome :)

sat01h.jpg

sat022wire.jpg
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are you gonna do a lowpoly?
  • PHaynes888
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nope, don't think so, I'm never going to be an artist I realise (always going to be in design), so I'm not trying to imitate an artist's workflow. My aim is just to improve my modelling and texturing for personal gain so I feel I can do that by just making the high poly, texturing that and setting it up in a scene with some other props. Sorry if that sounds like a cop out! :) I'm just quite keen to get this done now and move onto something environmental
  • PHaynes888
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok so it's been a while so i've got a small update, not had much time to work on this recently and there's been a few good games out to distract me :)

I've ended up making low poly versions of the model pieces, I realised that it'd be too difficult to unwrap the high poly. So I've just been texturing the low poly of the tyre today (thanks to EarthQuake and everyone else for their help in the technical forum), this is where I'm at so far:

tyre2c.jpg

Not really textured something properly like this before (and been using my new tablet), also not made spec maps before so many firsts here, if anything stands out as looking like it could be done better let me know! The tyre is supposed to look a bit wet as is the mud, as in the final scene it'll be raining
  • respawnrt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    respawnrt polycounter lvl 8
    You need more gloss variation i guess, and play with dust and spec, where there is dust spec goes to 0 and creates more interestring contrast.Gloss map is pretty important to nail such things also.
    j3wmPCKU020RZ.png
  • PHaynes888
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool i'll look into that, this has a specular map but no gloss map, the gloss is just coming from the max material, I'll play around with it
  • KazeoHin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KazeoHin polycounter lvl 8
    Great, now I have the Jurassic Park theme in my head...

But seriously, nice detail.
  • scotthomer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heya Paul,

Loving the progress! Regarding the specular maps, best way to start out fine tuning that stuff is to take the wheel into Cryengine and get a cubemap in there. (or take it into one of the Crysis 2 maps with some awesome lighting in it) and start playing around with values in photoshop.

5400047252_d6b220f26f_z.jpg

Looking at this wet tyre for example (as this is the effect you're going for), the rubber material itself (when dry) is low gloss with midrange specular. That means that It is influenced by the colour of objects around it, but doesnt reflect.

in order to achieve the wet effect its probably a good idea to start from a clean/dry state, so try to achieve a mid spec, low gloss effect by building up layers of grey in the specular map. In the gloss map (the alpha channel of the specular in cryengine) colour the tyre a darker grey/light black (if there is such a thing!) and see how it looks. From there start building up layers of increased specular where the water effects the tyre most, (the edges where the tyre touches the wet road) and in these areas push the glossiness towards the white so that the tyre is reflective in these areas. To get it perfect is going to take a tonne of trial and error, but if you start with this as a basis, you'll atleast have good foundations for it.

Cant wait to see how it turns out! :D
  • PHaynes888
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers Scott just what I needed :) Ill give all that a shot!
  • PHaynes888
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Long time no update, but it's taken me a while to texture this car and learn that process, as well as making it into a low poly model. Comes to 12k polys at the moment, plus an extra 1000 for each of the tyres (300 unsmoothed). Still got some bits and bobs to finish up, but almost done:

jpcar.jpg
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ParoXum polycounter lvl 9
    Awesome work. You clearly deliver for a designer! :) j/k
  • PHaynes888
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks :) I've always thought it was good for designers to be aware of the art side of things, hence me learning about it all
  • l.croxton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This looks pretty amazing :O. Only thing that kinda jumps out at me though is the wheels, they look really flat. Maybe if you pushed them further in that would help, unless what I am looking at is an alpha map... Asside from that it looks spot on. Nice one :).
  • PHaynes888
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You're right actually, they didn't used to, that might've happened in the conversion to low poly, I'll see if i can re-shape them a bit, thanks :)
  • PHaynes888
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Updates:

Learnt about cavity maps, did a load of tweaking to the lighting, added puddles/grass and made it all a bit tighter

frame000015.jpg

I have a weird issue though on the side of the car though, it only happens when the rain entity is enabled, but the line that you can see running through the window frames (more visible on the right side of the image on the window pillar) appears...it's not there without the rain entity. It's nothing to do with the model I don't think either.

Another issue is that the glass doesn't display the rain pooling effects on it. I tried making it an illum material to compensate, which works until I give it any opacity, then it breaks again. If anyone can offer any advice on either of those that'd be great!

frame000055.jpg
  • PhilipK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PhilipK polycounter lvl 10
    Looking great! you captured the rainy night time very well :)
  • Saig
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This looks really awesome! Excellent choice of subject. :D I would love to see you create a cinematic out of it, maybe replicating a scene from the movie.
  • scotthomer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its looking great man, really does look wet and moody. :D
  • PHaynes888
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @PhillipK

Thanks! I remember downloading some of your textures back in the day ;)

@Saig

I considered making a T-Rex but I'd not do a good job of it, if I had I might have considered the cinematic option but as it stands I'm almost done with this project and want to move onto something fresh (been at this for around a year, give or take a few months off in between) :)

@Scott

Cheers man :) Thanks for putting up with all my random questions at work!
  • Lando_Mange
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lando_Mange polycounter lvl 9
    Thought it was a screenshot from the actual movie at first, great work man :D
  • Lando_Viggo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lando_Viggo polycounter lvl 8
    I agree with my bro, though it was a screen ffrom the game the first sec. Really nice one man, good movie too :)