Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio - mckadesinsanity

Hello :)

This is my first post here, and it is nice to meet you! I have just started slowly branching out into 3D (I'm a native of 2D, haha) using Sculptris. Anyway, here is my first halfway decent attempt at a bust of my OC, Arru. Still haven't figured out how to do hair and stubble, so he's currently bald, haha XD

(You can find my original 2D artwork featuring the same character over at my website http://www.salizabeth.net/forever.php . )

I've got a long way to go yet, so any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
-Sara

sculpt_arru.jpg

Replies

• theStoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    theStoff greentooth
    This is looking very good. There isn't too much I can pick out but there are small things like cleaning up the eyelids a bit which are somewhat wobbly. You could also push the wrinkles a bit more. As for hair, there are many ways. I'm not sure about sculptris but I think there is a pinch tool. I would use that along with the regular build up tool to shape the hair.
  • mckadesinsanity
    Thank you so much for the feedback, kosh_fotsirk! It is really helpful, and I will address the areas you mentioned and try to make it better! :D

Also! If anyone has any further tips or tutorial links on how to sculpt short hair, it would be much appreciated! Struggling to get it right, haha ;-)

Thank you!
    -Sara
  • Donavonyoung
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Donavonyoung polycounter lvl 6
    Pretty damn solid so far. Fix the eyelids and it'll be a pretty solid little bust. Then the icing is things like pores, fine lines, more wrinkles, etc.
  • mckadesinsanity
    Thanks so much for the encouragement, Donavonyoung!! :D

I went back and tried to fix the eyes and tried to better the orbital bones around the eyebrow area. However, in going back to sculpting, I lost the bump where the scars and everything were. This may be a silly question, I don't know, but is there any way to import bumps from another sculpt back into this one? I have the sculpting file with the bump from before with the scars, but I don't know how to import/export or if I can at all...

Thanks so much! ;-)
  • Tits
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    :D Welcome to polycount!
    I'm azraele from deviantart if my nickname confuse you...
  • Chimp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimp interpolator
    great work- the portfolio is easy to navigate and the work is strong.
    I particularly like 'hold me now' - i just want to give her a hug, she needs a warm blanket and a cup of tea hahaha, love it. saved to the reference folder.

I think the about section could do some work, the biography is endearing but goes on a bit too long with the graphics tablet bit and stuff- i'd trim it away and have one paragraph for early life and then much more focus on the actual work.
  • mckadesinsanity
    Oh, hello Azraele! Thank you for directing me here! :D

Thank you so much for the kind compliments on my 2D work, Chimp! I also appreciate the website tips ;)

I'm hoping soon to have an update on the sculpt-I've been busy with work and haven't had much time for sculpting practice, but I will make time! Take care~ ;)
  • PaulP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaulP polycounter lvl 9
    You have some really cool illustrations, and congrats on getting published in Exotique and Expose. I'd love to get my artwork in there some day :) As for crits, you could exagerate the arch in the lower eyelid to help open it up a bit more, and also thicken the edge of the lids (or push the eyes slightly back. Opening the eyes up a bit more from the center would be a stylistic choice, but I think you should try a more wide eyed pose. The reason is because your male characters (mostly) seem to have a slightly narrow eyed 'smouldering' look that looks very posed, so you could maybe experiment with a more natural look?

Anyway, looking forward to seeing your progress!
  • mckadesinsanity
    Sorry for the really late reply, SCB! Thanks a lot for you kind words and helpful ideas!! :)

I have ZBrush now!
    So, here's a WIP of a female head that I'm working on. I'll update her progress as I go. (learning in my spare time, so updates may be sparse sometimes if I have a lot of work going on o_0 )

There are LOTS of mistakes going on here, so please feel free to point them out. I'm not afraid of constructive criticism, so come at me with any you have!!

ZBrush 4r4
    female_wip_charstrip.jpg
  • PaulP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaulP polycounter lvl 9
    > Use an image host like photobucket, copy the 'direct link' from your image (on photobuket/other)
    > on polycount message box click 'insert image' (icon) and paste the 'direct link' here

and that should do it!
  • mckadesinsanity
    Thanks for the information, SCB! I've edited the last post with it! :D
  • mckadesinsanity
    Here's the progress so far!
    She's polypainted with FiberMesh hair. Rendered with BPR. Not sure what to do now- I'd like to add texture, but I need to learn how first!

Any advice or critique will be much appreciated- so much to learn!! :poly121:
    P.S. Any tips for making nice eyelashes with FiberMesh?

female_polyp_005.jpg
  • PaulP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaulP polycounter lvl 9
    I don't know if its because of the shadow, but the space between the top lip and the nose looks a bit tight, making it look like shes pouting (probably just the shadow).

I don't know about fibermesh, but you can always get in there with Snakehook (joke!). If you struggle with fibre mesh, you can always import splines from another program, or I think something like the curve tool could be used here.

Are you planning to texture using photoshop, or polypaint and maybe spotlight?
  • mckadesinsanity
    That's valuable information, SCB, thank you for the tips! I'll work on it and see how the lashes do. (You can see them a little in the image, but some are hanging down and whatnot that I didn't like, haha.)
    Actually, I"m not sure which way I should texture. I don't have Photoshop Extended- could I texture in just regular CS4? I'm still really clueless about it, so forgive me if these are silly questions!!
  • PaulP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaulP polycounter lvl 9
    Yeah any Ps is fine for texturng. I'm on a g+ hangount with some other polycounters, you're welcome to come on and we can try and help you with your texturing if you like:

https://plus.google.com/hangouts/_/9f1f2859b9a578f914f30e1a4bdef788d4e47b0f#
  • Dylan Brady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dylan Brady polycounter lvl 9
    Really nice work Mckadesinsanity, it always amazed me how quikly good 2d artists can pick up 3d and get good
  • mckadesinsanity
    Thanks, SCB, that's great! And here I thought I wouldn't be able to without extended! Thanks for the invite! I might drop by if you won't mind a noob like me ;-)

Wow, thank you Dylan Brady! That's very kind of you!! :)