Home Technical Talk

3D Coat Problem

raging_river
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
raging_river polycounter lvl 11
Hey guys, ive been trying to retop my dino in 3D coat, but ive run into two problems

1. My imported Sub D lvl 4 mesh looks pixelated, i dont know how to fix this?

retop.jpg

and

2. I cant seem to paint the mask to highlight dense areas, the wizard that pops up after importing the mesh tells me to paint but it doesn't work.

Appreciate the help

Replies

• Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    I guess you're trying to use the auto-retopo, your mesh looks pixelated because it converts it to voxels, so that's normal (and shouldn't be a problem for the retopo).
    Not sure about your paint issue, worked fine last time I tried.
  • raging_river
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the reply, yes i am using the auto-retop, and i solved the paint thing, this was due to the right click button of the mouse o_O, anyways i've ran into two other problems:

1. Symmetry does not work, it simply reflects the mesh making two which i do not want!!!! (see images below)

symetryp.jpg

then it turns into

symetry.jpg

Do I need to collapse the symmetry before applying the strokes and mask, as it seems like my symmetry breaks when it retops automatically?

Question 2. Is there a way to bring the AUTO-RETOP WIZARD after closing it?

Thanks in advance!
  • ChaosEidolon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ChaosEidolon polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah 3d coat is still a bit weird. I'd recommend turning off symmetry when you're doing the Autoretopo. draw your topology lines across the entire intersection of the dino in an isometric side view, as if you're slicing him like a loaf of bread along his mid section. You need it to be iso to be more or less symmetrical. In case you dont know ( I didnt ) you can start dragging outside the mesh from top to bottom and release to get a perfect cross section cut that goes all the way around.

Once you run the auto retopo, just cut the mesh along the midline, delete the worse half and reactivate symmetry for further tweaking.

Sadly, as far as i know, there is no way to save the auto-retopo mid way, or re-run it with the topology cuts you made. It's kinda ghetto and I hope they can refine that, cause it would be a huge help. For now you just have to do a test to see what poly density is best, then go in and do a proper edgeflow cut pass and run it for a proper pass. Even then there will be quite a bit of clean-up, but it's a great way to get started.
  • OMGiFARTED
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i personally don't like the autopo. its really only used for really organic stuff, or if you want a really quick retopo for a quick presentation, that you will change in the end, or for like busts of a character...as i can see in your image(sorry im not posting another pic) i see that the toes of the dinosaur don't have geometry, which you can add on in another program but i hate the hassle. plus you don't really have control over where the edge loops are placed. Im not sure how many polys you're aiming for, but the current state of the dinosaur in the pic looks a lil too much. You can optimize the topology and still have the same results. just make sure u have awesome normals! :) i personally manually reotopo using 3d coat. it has a great set of tools to make life simple. Just youtube some tutorials, there's enough out there to learn. Topology is must cleaner when done manually

as far as the symmetry thing, 3d coat is a lil buggy...what u can do is jus retopo one side and just import it into another program(3dmax), and use the symmetry modifier or mirror it and weld it together
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    It seems like you didn't define loops and cuts, so that the Autopo feature can keep the flow.
  • Donavonyoung
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Donavonyoung polycounter lvl 6
    Yeah you have to make sure that you define your loops, if you don't it will just go with what it think will do the best with you est. amount of polys.
  • raging_river
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys and also the examples above were just a quick test to see if symmetry works, AND of course it didn't as its creates two separate mesh due to the symmetry as it seems to reset itself even though Ive locked it into place.... any advice on how to fix symmetry? as all the tutorial video ive looked at the symmetry works fine.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Make sure your mesh is 100% true in the middle (reset XForm, pivot, etc) and set in the middle of the world. 3DC doesn't like it when a mesh is slightly bent on one angle or direction.
  • raging_river
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ^^^I havent tested it yet, but i do think it is the pivot + centre of the world space as the symmetry seems to reset into the centre

But if this is the issue, then why does 3D coat allow users to move and lock the symmetry plane?!?!!? (maybe a bug only im experiencing, using ATI)