Dark Warrior Walk Cycle

http://youtu.be/Cpx78o4-jYw

Thoughts suggestions tips and comments are needed and welcome

First piece to go into my new portfolio when its done

Replies

• Silver105
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also how do you embed a video directly to this forum?
  • Silver105
  • Silver105
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/afynfkm_v2s&quot; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  • Lucas Annunziata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lucas Annunziata polycounter lvl 13
    1) You can edit your posts rather than posting multiple times ;)

2) Dunno about video embedding.

3) The walk cycle seems very robotic and stiff. Even wearing that much armor there is (im assuming) a living being under there. There would be a difference in arm movements if he is holding sword like that, and it would probably affect the shoulders and generally the balance of weight. I suggest getting a shovel, or an object of similar weight/shape as the sword and have someone record you walking it out yourself.
  • jordan.kocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jordan.kocon polycounter lvl 6
    It's a very robotic animation. The first thing I think you should do is make it loop, as right now it is just freezing on the middle, and last frame, instead of transitioning nicely.
  • thatanimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thatanimator polycounter lvl 6
    get rid of IK on the arms
    don't lift the feet that much, don't keep them flat when they're in the air
    check your curves at the end, like jordan.kocon said, it's not looping

when that's done, you've not only improved it by a ton, but you'll be at a place where we could start talking about more stylistic/artistic choices that could improve this.
  • Silver105
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did you guys check out the first or second link?
  • Silver105
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    get rid of IK on the arms
    don't lift the feet that much, don't keep them flat when they're in the air
    check your curves at the end, like jordan.kocon said, it's not looping

when that's done, you've not only improved it by a ton, but you'll be at a place where we could start talking about more stylistic/artistic choices that could improve this.

This model is a model I got off of turbosquid I'm only slightly familiar with IK FK so I'm not quite sure how to change it up.
  • thatanimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thatanimator polycounter lvl 6
    the model doesn't matter
    IK is just a way to solve animation along a joint chain.
    you wouldn't really use it for arms in a walk, rather just for limbs or whatever that are planted to things, like the feet as he's walking.
    arms that are swinging about should be keyed in FK as that will make it easier for you to have them arch properly.
    if you're animating this in Maya and you got the model skinned and rigged from turbosquid, then just delete the IK handles at the ends of the arms and re-key it with the FK solution that will remain.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afynfkm_v2s&quot;]WalkCyclePreview.mov - YouTube[/ame]

This site is very picky about youtube links. so, for yours, the link says
    "ht tp://ww w.youtube.com/watch?v=afynfkm_v2s &feature=youtu.be"
    (i added spaces to post it without showing the vid, but what you need to do is copy and paste only the bolded / larger letters. Everything before the &. If you clikc the share button on youtube, its the "long link" in the options.

As for your animation, here's some crits.

-Your hands are going straight back and front. There is no up and down motion. They should be doing an upside down rainbow, keeping an arc, swinging along with the rest of the arm.

-the characters right shoulder moves forward when the right foot goes forward. That's wrong. It should be moving backward. the arm itself is ok, but the shoulder isnt right.

-The feet are too far apart. He's a warrior, not a cowboy. Bring the feet closer together and don't angle the feet so far out.

-you need more side to side motion in the body to really sell the weight shift while walking. The hips should be over top of the leg he has all his weight on. So, if the right foot is straight under the body, the hips should be over top of that. Right now, the weight is inbetween the legs, even though 1 leg isnt touching the ground. You do have SOME movement there, but not enough. Of course, bringing the feet together will help that as well.

-the feet pause ever so briefly just before the foot slams down. The foot should be constantly moving front to back.

keep at it. Hope this helps

• Donavonyoung
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Donavonyoung polycounter lvl 6
    Excellent breakdown on the crit there^^.
  • Umar6419
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Umar6419 polycounter lvl 7
    Hey its too Slow..He Looks like an old Man with Leg Injury ....
    Learn basic Walks Before Jumping To Dark warrior or Personality stuff..

walkcycle_side.jpg
  • Archanex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Archanex polycounter lvl 18
  • Silver105
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJbcno4jXkg&quot;]Preview3.mov - YouTube[/ame]

I am noticing that, when I go from maya (I have it set at real-time 30 fps), to quicktime as a playblast that it seems a bit slower that how I see it in maya. Any suggestions on what I should do to fix that? Should i Condense it all down by a few frames right now the one cycle is 47 frames. Which looks fine in maya, but looks slower in quicktime.

--Changed his feet so that they are closer

--Added more left to right in the hips

-- Adjusted the arcs on both his hands

--Fixed the shoulders

--Tweaked a few other things as well.
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    Animation should be in 24 fps, not 30, that might be your problem
  • RockSPb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RockSPb polycounter lvl 5
    Sukotto
    you really think so?
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    There are 2 settings in maya that you need to change to 30fps. If you open the preferences window, on the left, click on "settings" and change the working units Time to 30fps. then in time slider, change it to 30 fps as well. The working units time is why it seems slower outside of maya though.
  • Silver105
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius wrote: »
    There are 2 settings in maya that you need to change to 30fps. If you open the preferences window, on the left, click on "settings" and change the working units Time to 30fps. then in time slider, change it to 30 fps as well. The working units time is why it seems slower outside of maya though.

My working Units time has been on NTSC (30fps), and I looked for a regular 30fps and didn't see one. And of course the time slider is set to 30fps. And what about what sukoto had said about animating in 24 fps?
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    I think what slipsius said is correct. I only mentioned 24 fps because thats what the 'global standard' is
  • Silver105
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In case this may shed some light, after I playblast the 47 frames, I take that playblast and just copy and paste it in quicktime pro. It may have some effect on it i don't really know for sure. Normally when I have a completed render I take those files and assemble it in After Effects.

==
    How's the animation look though, is it render ready? Or is there something else I should be fixing?
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Is it slower in quicktime than it is on your playblast? Playblasts are the most accurate. You should constantly be playblasting your stuff, as the view port isnt always accurate.

The walk still has a lot of work to be done. It's still slow, and the body isn't really moving the way it should. From the front view, the torso always seems to be leaning screen left. the shoulders have some weird movement in them.

It might be worth it to take what you`ve learned and just start over. I garentee, the next one will come out better.

Also, here is a little walkthrough / tutorial of how I do my walk cycles, if you`re interested. Might learn something. Might not. It's a lengthy read though. http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89007&highlight=destroyer+walk
  • Silver105
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is it slower in quicktime than it is on your playblast? Playblasts are the most accurate. You should constantly be playblasting your stuff, as the view port isnt always accurate.

The walk still has a lot of work to be done. It's still slow, and the body isn't really moving the way it should. From the front view, the torso always seems to be leaning screen left. the shoulders have some weird movement in them.

It might be worth it to take what you`ve learned and just start over. I garentee, the next one will come out better.

Also, here is a little walkthrough / tutorial of how I do my walk cycles, if you`re interested. Might learn something. Might not. It's a lengthy read though. http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89007&highlight=destroyer+walk

I actually followed what you posted, If there's something to be fixed I will fix it. I think it looks a crap ton better, than how it originally looked. But yea 47 frames because he's a armored heavy character, if it's slow I could condense it down make it about 30 frames. Though I'm really interested on what you think looks weird about the shoulders cause I'm just not seeing it.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    They just seem to be rotating oddly. If you get a dropbox account, put the .mov into the public folder, then copy and paste the public link into this thread, I can scrub through it. Right now it's too hard to get details without having the quicktime file.

You`ll probably be able to spend days and days tweaking it, but honestly, it's probably better to just move on to the next piece. Take what you learned and apply it.
  • Silver105
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/70664082/Preview3.mov

I intend to fix the chest as you said it tends to lean

and if we can narrow down any other mistakes that should be corrected that will be fixed as well.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Awesome, thanks for the .mov... I wish polycount automatically imbedded .mov files. Maybe I`ll look into it, see if we can get it going.

So, the shoulders, it appears as though your rotations are going at the wrong time. if you look at the shoulder armour, it's facing backwards, even when the arm is moving forward. Its not till the very last moment before the arm gets to the very front when it rotates to face the front. When the arm is passing the body, the shoulder armour should be facing down, as if they were just standing there. Follow the arm.

Also, the shoulders are going up when the arm is passing the body. so when its at the back, it is down, then it goes up, then back down when it gets to the front. That makes it look unnatural. It should be at its highest at the back, and lowest at the front. At least, for a regular walk like this.
  • Silver105
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/70664082/preview4.mov

I think this it, I just posted the front view this time. If you see anything else I may change it, but I'm thinking it's time to render this and move on to the next action. Probably running since it'd be the easiest transition.

Thoughts comments and suggestions?

Thanks to all those who have posted really helpful critiques!
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    Hey there, good work so far!

I understand if you just want to move on to the next animation, but here's a few things that stand out at me:

-The right leg is popping quite a bit at the 'up' position. It's probably being extended too much.
    -There appears to be a frame where the only movement is a sudden drop in the toes, and nothing else. It makes for a very odd pause and a break in the motion.
    -The legs seem to lead the hips, and not the other way around. Normally, all motion starts and flows from the hips, so keep that in mind!

Good effort though, keep animating, and soon walk cycles will be a breeze! :)
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Mezz is right on the button. The 1 frame she is referring to is actually the first and last frame of your cycle. Your last frame for your feet is not the same as the first frame, so they snap a little when cycling over. Copy and Paste all the keys from the first frame to the last. Then, in your graph editor, select all your curves (not just the feet), go up to Curves > Pre-Infinity > Cycle, then Curves > Post-Infinity > Cycle. Then, go up to View > Infinity. This will show you all the curves continuing on from what you originally see in a dotted line. This lets you adjust the tangents of your curves on your first and last frame so that they blend into each other and get those curves you need to have a fluid, continuous motion. This is a VERY important step for cycles.

Also, your hips, body and shoulders still dont feel right. Like mezz said, your legs are leading your hips, but your hips and body are still leaning to the right (screen left). Here are a few pictures of your contact pics to help get across my point.

DarkWarriorWalk_01_fix.JPG

DarkWarriorWalk_02_fix.JPG

Do you see how the middle of your body is always leaning to screen left? My green strokes are what it should look like, the thicker end of the shoulders and hips being closer to the camera then the thinner end. It is a bit exaggerated to show my point.

Your arm with the sword is also too bent. A heavy sword, the arm would be mostly straight for the whole thing.

You can definitely move on to your next thing if you want. I find it better to take what I learn from my crits, fix what I can, then just cut my losses and move on to the next piece and apply all that I've learned. I don't suggest doing a run though. Try another walk with just a regular human rig. No armour or anything. See if you can do another one better. See if you understand the walk before you move onto the run.
  • Lephenix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lephenix polycounter lvl 6
    I don't know if that will help, but here is a great exemple of a bad guy walk cycle: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzdCdRPESps&quot;]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzdCdRPESps[/ame]

Start the vid @2:36min
  • Silver105
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz is right on the button. The 1 frame she is referring to is actually the first and last frame of your cycle. Your last frame for your feet is not the same as the first frame, so they snap a little when cycling over. Copy and Paste all the keys from the first frame to the last. Then, in your graph editor, select all your curves (not just the feet), go up to Curves > Pre-Infinity > Cycle, then Curves > Post-Infinity > Cycle. Then, go up to View > Infinity. This will show you all the curves continuing on from what you originally see in a dotted line. This lets you adjust the tangents of your curves on your first and last frame so that they blend into each other and get those curves you need to have a fluid, continuous motion. This is a VERY important step for cycles.

Your arm with the sword is also too bent. A heavy sword, the arm would be mostly straight for the whole thing.

I just figured out why it's doing that, I had to key some of the joints in the feet because the controller itself doesn't have any attributes for toe and ankle roll. I also had to add attribute to the hand controller to control the fingers. I probably should just do that for the feet as well.

Also I kinda had a feeling the sword arm wasn't right, but I was trying to keep that ark, also keeping it straight looks like he's hyper extending so it should still have some bend right?

And yea I see what you mean with the chest, it's just that's not an easy thing to fix lol. I was trying to do that last night, got close had a better understanding of it by looking at his spine armor. But tweaking it just wasn't a simple task.
  • Silver105
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One more thing, how's the speed feel now?
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Speed's ok. How to get a good read with that pause in the middle.

Dont be afraid to wipe out all the keys in the spine and redo them!

But if it's too much of a hassle, start a new walk. Seriously. I garentee your next one will be better
  • Silver105
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/70664082/Previewfinal2.mov

Did the post infinite pre infinite and adjusted the tangents accordingly for all controllers. Also edited the animation on both feet joints and made sure they cycled correctly.

You'll notice the secondary movement on his loin cloth. if that's what you call it. I think it looks good any suggestions would be welcome.

I left the controllers visible in this one so you can see the adjustments on the chest spine and hips. I kind feel like it's a bit much, let me know if I should tone it down. He feels kinda goofy less intimidating.

Again speed is it ok?

And then finally, if any of you know how to get mental ray to work or if there is a 1800 number I can call, it would be greatly appreciated. I've been wrestling with this issue for a long time. My scene will only render 2 or 3 frames at a time before it stops rendering and says it's completed. I've posted this question in the tech talk forum but we haven't found any solutions yet. I've tried deleting my maya prefs, tried adjusting memory, tried turning off firewalls. Tried command prompt render and it still isn't working.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Step in the right direction. couple of things

Yes, the spine twists are too much now. lol. But definitely the motion you need.

also, you still get that pause. If your last frame is on 20, change your time slider to 19 before playblasting. That should fix it.

How are you currently showing your cycle over and over? Did you copy and paste the thing over and over? or did did you just playblast frame 1 - 20 and piece it together in quicktime?
  • Silver105
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Step in the right direction. couple of things

Yes, the spine twists are too much now. lol. But definitely the motion you need.

also, you still get that pause. If your last frame is on 20, change your time slider to 19 before playblasting. That should fix it.

How are you currently showing your cycle over and over? Did you copy and paste the thing over and over? or did did you just playblast frame 1 - 20 and piece it together in quicktime?

Well the whole cycle is from frame 1-38

And yea I playblasted it and the copy and pasted over and over till it was about 10 seconds long.

Frame 19 is the middle of the cycle where he switches from leading with his left to leading with his right.
  • tda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 16
    It's tough critiquing animation as the wrong advice or too much emphasis on a specific thing can end up narrowing your focus and the animation will end up becoming even more disjointed than it originally was, i already see this happening really in the over-exaggerated spine movement. This isn't your fault though, you're following the critique well but personally i think that bit was a little misplaced. I don't really want to critique your work so far because i'd probably want you to backtrack a lot (preview3 was the last one before i thought you started getting caught up in specifics), but for your next attempt i have some advice on things that helped me when i was trying to learn this stuff.

If you haven't already, get up and walk around studying your own movement. Walk slow, walk fast, walk in front of a mirror, record yourself, everything you can think of. Feel out how you move and most importantly think about the relationship and weight distribution between your different body parts. The worst thing you can do while animating is isolate each part out and get into a way of thinking about it in that way. Examples would be like "the hips should be tilted this much at frame 10 and mirror that exact movement at frame 20", or as one critique mentioned "the spine isn't rotating as much as it probably should be, lets add more", you need to think more in wholes and feel it out.

Thinking through the weight distribution is the way to go. When the front leg moves under the body and becomes load bearing for example, think about how that will affect the hips and the contrapposto that the body performs to maintain balance (but remember to keep it relative to the amount of force exerted in the first place, don't over do it!). Get into a practice of thinking about pushing the weight of the body forwards with the legs, rather than moving the root bone and just making the legs keep up. It sounds weird and i've probably done a bad job of explaining it, but when i started thinking this way it really helped me improve a lot. After you get a feel for the weight then start worrying about cleanup, making nice arcing trajectories, removing snapping, popping, etc.

Hope this helps out dude.
  • Silver105
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Silver, what I meant for the frame thing was whatever your last frame is, shorten it by one in the time slider. So, since your animation is 1 - 38, the time slider should say 1 - 37. then in quicktime, you can combine a bunch of them. Since the first and last frame are the same, you get that quick pause since it plays the same frame twice in a row. But if you shorten it by 1, where it is suppose to go to the last frame, it goes to the first frame which is the same as the last one anyways. If that makes sense?

Tda, although I agree with thinking through the weight distribution, and that is a great way to get better... If he didn't do that at the start, and he's wondering what's wrong with his animation, crits on his specific animation are required. It will never be as good as if he started it like that, but that all comes with practice. You need to point out what's wrong. Yes, my drawings were definitely over the top exaggerated, but that was to really show him what kind of motion should be there compared to what was there.

Silver, to go on what tda said though, what I found really helps to understand the motion, is for each key frame at the start, I would do that motion a number of times, but each time, I would hold my hand to a certain joint and really focus on that joint to understand how it was moving. Do that a bunch of times for each key. Yes, it is very tedious at the start, but it personally helped me a lot.

Call this done and start a new one. I garentee you`ll do much better on the next just from what you`ve learned from doing this one. I also suggest working in stepped tangents, blocking out all the major weight changes. Show us your blocking and we'll give you pointers along the way. It's much easier to fix things in stepped mode before you start placing random keys, or do your offsetting.
  • Silver105
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Silver, what I meant for the frame thing was whatever your last frame is, shorten it by one in the time slider. So, since your animation is 1 - 38, the time slider should say 1 - 37. then in quicktime, you can combine a bunch of them. Since the first and last frame are the same, you get that quick pause since it plays the same frame twice in a row. But if you shorten it by 1, where it is suppose to go to the last frame, it goes to the first frame which is the same as the last one anyways. If that makes sense?

Tda, although I agree with thinking through the weight distribution, and that is a great way to get better... If he didn't do that at the start, and he's wondering what's wrong with his animation, crits on his specific animation are required. It will never be as good as if he started it like that, but that all comes with practice. You need to point out what's wrong. Yes, my drawings were definitely over the top exaggerated, but that was to really show him what kind of motion should be there compared to what was there.

Silver, to go on what tda said though, what I found really helps to understand the motion, is for each key frame at the start, I would do that motion a number of times, but each time, I would hold my hand to a certain joint and really focus on that joint to understand how it was moving. Do that a bunch of times for each key. Yes, it is very tedious at the start, but it personally helped me a lot.

Call this done and start a new one. I garentee you`ll do much better on the next just from what you`ve learned from doing this one. I also suggest working in stepped tangents, blocking out all the major weight changes. Show us your blocking and we'll give you pointers along the way. It's much easier to fix things in stepped mode before you start placing random keys, or do your offsetting.

I did that Slipsius. I followed your guide which was very helpful, but I do think tda has a point somewhere we get lost in all the things we need to focus on. And it can get worse and back to better. You posted a link to your guide on my other post (NEED ADVICE). Anyway, I am calling it done but I really want to figure out why this B*tch won't render correctly! pardon the censored french.

Also you mentioned making a blog site but never really answered me on what a good blog site would be for my new portfolio?
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Does your render setting say 1-37 for frames?

Blogspot is fine really.
  • Silver105
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/70664082/WalkCycleFinal.MOV

Thanks again to all who helped and hopefully will continue to help me make my portfolio stronger.

And to Slipius, I had to do a clean install on Maya, something was wrong with my mental ray, so I installed the latest version of Maya and it worked.