Home Technical Talk

Tablet help. Intous 4 or intous 5?

Hey,

I am on the very edge of buying a tablet but I would like to know from you lovely experts which one or a different tablet perhaps is the best? I have around £300ish to spend. The reason why I would like one is after buying some zrbush books and being told doing any work in zbrush with a mouse is like sculpting with mittens on and after watching a video in where (rather obvious point I had completely forgot) these tablets have 2048 I think pressure differences whereas a mouse has 1.... I think its time I invest in one :poly136:

So which one would you guys and girls say is worth the money being spent on?

Oh also I am looking at the medium sized ones.

Thanks for any help :).

Replies

• r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    Id go for a 3 or 4 myself, they'll be cheaper and do the same job.
    The last 3 iterations of the intuos have been largely cosmetic.
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter polycounter lvl 14
    I still got my Intuos3 A4 and i somehow don´t want to swap it with a newer one.
  • l.croxton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah thanks for the replies :). I should probably point out for people in the UK atleast, these are on a slight sale on amazon, if anyone else is interested.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have a medium 4 and it does everything I need a tablet to do!
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    I'd take a 4 over a 3 unless there was a fairly substantial difference in price. I really like the ring and the detachable cable is a huge plus if you're planning on keeping it for several years.

The 4 is higher res too isn't it?

I wont be sold on the mult touch thing on the 5 until I've tried it, they're probably brilliant though
  • l.croxton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I have just bought number 4 for £270ish saving apperently £55 which helped go towards a digital painting book :).
  • l.croxton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have heard mixed reviews with regards to the touch features btw. Some people love it, others say its not really that great. However they like how the buttons show up on screen in a HUD than having to look at the tablet to make sure you know what you have pressed. So it sounds like alot of personal preference stuff.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    poopipe wrote: »
    and the detachable cable is a huge plus if you're planning on keeping it for several years.

The 4 is notorious for it's USB ports snapping off the main board, Its the most common complaint I've heard about them. I've had a 3 for about 6 years and the cable is really sturdy, it point it enters the tablet is also very well supported unlike the 4. Dont know about the wheel but the USB ports shorten the life they dont extend it.
    Well I have just bought number 4 for £270ish saving apperently £55 which helped go towards a digital painting book
    Awesome. your going to hate it for a couple of days and then your going to love it.
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    I've got a 4 at work which seems to be standing up but nice to know I need to be a bit careful.

I agree, the older ones are really solid, I have a veritable wacom museum at home (two 3's a 2 and a 1 ) and they're all still working great.

they take a bit of getting used to at first but you really miss them when you don't have one.
  • Weirdboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weirdboy polycounter lvl 5
    r_fletch_r wrote: »
    The 4 is notorious for it's USB ports snapping off the main board, Its the most common complaint I've heard about them. I've had a 3 for about 6 years and the cable is really sturdy, it point it enters the tablet is also very well supported unlike the 4. Dont know about the wheel but the USB ports shorten the life they dont extend it.

I've never heard about this, I've had my 4 for a few years and never had any problem with the usb port (I did have to replace the pen a few weeks back though) I think OP should be fine so long as he's careful.
  • FractaL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would probably go for an Intuos3 because there is a big design flaw in the Intuos4, which I've got right now. The surface is very rough and the nibs last like 2 days each.

My solution was taking a piece of acetate and taping it onto the tablet, which makes it slippery, but it will make the nibs last much longer. Also remember to constrain proportions to your screen and tablet, that's extremely important.