Home Technical Talk

Mudbox 2012 - Black textures

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
M-Cubed polycounter lvl 6
Hey everyone. I'm having another mudbox issue here. It seems certain textures like to turn all black on me.

I can see the textures fine when they are not selected, but when I select them as if to actively paint on that texture, they turn all black.

Unselected:
Mudbox03.jpg

Selected:
Mudbox04.jpg

I have tried deleting and re-importing. Converting to a different image format. Changing my lighting. Saving and re-opening, saving as a new file, etc, and nothing. It keeps happening. Another weird thing, is that if I move the troublesome texture to the top of the stack, I can select it and it doesn't turn black.

The only mention of something like this I've seen from googling the problem is missing textures, however I can assure you the files are there. If they weren't how could I see it while it's unselected?

Any ideas are welcome.

Replies

• oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    i assume your graphics card ran out of memmory... try to collapse some paint layers...
  • M-Cubed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Certainly a possibility I suppose, however I have tried merging layers, and unless I go down to one diffuse layer, I still get the same issue. I highly doubt I'm running out of memory, even in my video card. I'm working with two 1gb 460's after all, and the problem is there even right after opening the file.
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    in the right bottom corner you see the GPU ram usage... how much are used..?
    mud isnt supporting sli so it could also cause some troubles... but im not sure...

have you turned on the gigatexel engine..?
  • M-Cubed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am taking a closer look at the GPU ram here, and it does look like the trouble textures are higher in ram. The biggest being around 590. I find it strange that if I move that texture to the top of the stack, it's mem usage goes down to 450.

I'm unfamiliar with the gigatexel engine. Would that help?
  • M-Cubed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah very interesting. Seems my version of mudbox was before the updates with this new engine. Updated now, and it's working a lot better. Difference of 200mb of ram on the same texture between the two versions, and nothing is turning out black. Thanks for letting me know about that.
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    the gigatexel engine is managing the loading of texture LODs... if turned on mud is creating smaller textures down to 256 i think and will stream those textures if needed...

i turn this off if i work on objects with less than 10 uv tiles and do the loading by hand... use the up arrow key to unload textures from the gpu ram...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exnEDYKqNyM"]Gigatexel Demo - Mudbox 2012 SAP - YouTube[/ame]