Home Technical Talk

Best way to post WIPs?

Hey guys,

I was just wondering what the best way to post up wips of my models is for critique?

At the moment i just take a 'Print Screen' of the 3ds max viewport and upload that to Imageshack, and also use the Shift + Q render screen to take a render of my model to go with the viewport screen grab.

As you can see im quite inexperienced at this, and have recieved some feedback that it is quite hard to critique my models because of this.

Any and all help is much appreciated,
biggest_kid

Replies

• Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    I think print screen is fine just for WIP shots until you want to start presenting your work properly. Then it'd be better to use something like Marmoset or UDK (you can get some nice screenshots out of Marmoset.) For WIP sculpts or models, print screen is fine :)
  • biggest_kid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So should i place any lights or anything in the scene? Because after looking through these forums and looking at my old wips, other people's wip pictures look a lot better than mine.
  • Butthair
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Butthair polycounter lvl 11
    As a personal preference, I take every opportunity to present the best I can. Presentation is something in itself and to be better at that means making as many as possible.

And I mean a dedicated page with name, email, etc. As well as having nice composition for the render. Also know where you should present it, engine or software, for example.

Your presentation is a part of your WIP - what I mean is that in the end, you'll present all this hard work on something close to industry standard. Presentation pages shouldn't be thought of separate from your piece - you're presenting something you are working on, so the more you can to push it, the better.

Many times have I had critiques on my presentation page when I was seeking critique on my actual work. The work was fine and it was my page that was hurting it.

Just some food for thought, opinions and what I've experienced. Take what you think works and help it make you stronger.
  • pass
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So should i place any lights or anything in the scene? Because after looking through these forums and looking at my old wips, other people's wip pictures look a lot better than mine.
    yes,i agree with you .g.gif
  • biggest_kid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Butthair: im not looking to put together a portfolio just yet, dont have anywhere near enough pieces and they are not anywhere near high enough quality.
    @ pass: ...?
  • Butthair
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Butthair polycounter lvl 11
    I understand. Some of my early stuff I knew would never go to portfolio, but just like getting better at modelling and texturing, I always saw it a good opportunity to work on a presentation - getting as much experience as possible.

Pass is agreeing with you. Lighting the scene to show shadows and highlights will help so much more to educate viewers on what they are seeing.

Seeing as how you just want critique for how you model, lighting and/or wireframes are a big help to people, as they haven't been working on what you have for a few hours, also they might model differently and showing wireframes would help educate on which methods you are using.