can some zbrush wizard give a hand?

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Olli. polycounter lvl 8
i want to sculpt this:
palm-trunk-60403a.jpg

so far i've just created a cylinder using dynamesh
dyna.PNG

i just cant figure out what would be the best way to get the basic shape of this before i start sculpting it.. the only way i could think of is to use insert cylinder to create the little stubs one by one, but there are hundreds of them, and positioning the each cylinder one by one would take forever.. there has to be another way..

Replies

• Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    Well I would make the base in maya. Make the trunk and make 1 or 2 nubby bits with their pivots near their base then make the tree trunk a live object. Then just place the objects on the trunk one by one.

If I was using max I would probably do an array via rotation of the lumpy bits around the tree trunk. Then offset them by hand to make them look more natural and chaotic.

You could also try doing a dynamesh with Radial Symmetry on then sculpt the lumpy bits from your trunk. But then you run into a machined look and something not as natural unless you heavily teak each one after sculpting to look different in size and shape.
  • mdeforge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mdeforge polycounter lvl 14
    What the hell is that? Pinecone? Pineapple tree?

Radial Symmetry sounds like an easy win here. Then just go around and make each cone look a bit unique.
  • Olli.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Olli. polycounter lvl 8
    yeah its a palm tree trunk.. the ref isnt exactly what im going for, but it gives an idea.

I ended up sculpting one of the little nubs, grabbed a custom alpha from that, then applied the alpha evenly across the surface using the radial symmetry tool.. currently im looking at my sculpt and realizing it looks utterly shit..
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15275414/palm1.PNG

I guess ill have to start again and use some other approach.. probably will need to figure out a way to incorporate the photograph in so i can get some more realistic textures