Home Technical Talk

Light Maps with Modular Assets?

I have started to make some basic game modular assets to try and get my head around the concept. So when it comes to UDK it turns out each model needs a second ID to be used for Light Maps. I was wondering when it comes to set pieces that can be snapped together does each light map need to be similar to work correctly?

Keep in mind I have barely used Light Maps before this. Also I was wondering when it comes to engines like UDK and Unity are Light Maps required? Because I noticed in the Crytek engine it advertises dynamic lighting and natural lighting, does that mean games made in that engine do not use Light Maps?

Replies

• AlecMoody
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    each object needs a second UV channel and there are some unreal specific rules for how those uvs are layed out. 3dmotive has a free video about it here:
    http://www.3dmotive.com/training/free/creating-a-lightmap-uv-channel/?follow=true
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    most annoying part of UDK (get used to it) :P
  • 1magus
    Oh I have watched that video thank you. But it does not talk about how to set up UVs for Light Maps for modular set pieces. I would be happy to get used to it but this is a brand new concept to me, any advice when it comes to modular models?
  • Gannon
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    The purpose or style of the model doesn't matter, just make sure none of the UVs are overlapping and you're good to go.
  • 1magus
    Ok and this might be a dumb question but is there a difference from Light Maps and Baked in Lighting?
  • fabian roldan
    Offline / Send Message
    fabian roldan polycounter lvl 6
    1magus wrote: »
    Ok and this might be a dumb question but is there a difference from Light Maps and Baked in Lighting?

It`s the same, a lightmap is lighting baked in to a texture, you culd bake lighting in to you difusse texture too, with an external program or in photoshop, but most of the times it`s not practical. So a good rule for static meshes, modular or unique in udk is: make you uv channel 1 for diffuse and normals, overlapping and mirroring faces if needed etc. then make a second uv channel without overlapping faces for baked lighting (aka lightmaps)
  • joealosteen
    I am first time using Light maps. Light maps using at that time resolution which is using UDK. Light map do some general help. Light map is very useful in some basic game.
  • Cybroxide
    Offline / Send Message
    Cybroxide polycounter lvl 17
    1magus wrote: »
    I have started to make some basic game modular assets to try and get my head around the concept. So when it comes to UDK it turns out each model needs a second ID to be used for Light Maps. I was wondering when it comes to set pieces that can be snapped together does each light map need to be similar to work correctly?

Keep in mind I have barely used Light Maps before this. Also I was wondering when it comes to engines like UDK and Unity are Light Maps required? Because I noticed in the Crytek engine it advertises dynamic lighting and natural lighting, does that mean games made in that engine do not use Light Maps?

The basic steps for light mapping environment pieces in UDK are explained on the UDN site http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/LightMapUnwrapping.html

It's generally accepted that (while using normal forward rendering) all static assets should have a lightmap. If you don't give assets light maps they will attempt to bake lights on the vertex level which becomes drastically more expensive in the memory.

If an engine is using all dynamic lights, it is probably using a differed lighting solution and light maps aren't required. UDK has the option for differed lighting but only in DX11 mode.