Home General Discussion

Just How Important Are Specular Maps For Photo-Real Faces? Cameras, filters etc

Hi Guys!

Basically i'm currently analysing the 'latest technologies that are available for creating human faces for computer games' which invlolves looking at facial scanners, procedural face programs and of course traditional methods using max/maya/zbrush etc.

At present I am trying to determine just how important specular maps are in the creation of a photo-real face. So far I have managed to get a bit of information on this subject but still lacking a lot! I was wondering if any of you guys could recommend any Threads/Websites/Books etc that would be of assistance to me?

Cheers
Ryan

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Specular and glossiness are very important aspects with any material, not more or less so with skin. Is there something specific you're interested in? Technical aspects, or content creation more so?
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    They're not important at all, infact, you could also not use diffuse, nor normals maps. Just create a bunch of vertices and stick them in you app of choice. Let the player use their imagination!

OK, seriously EVERY model needs some sort of spec/gloss map setup, how else are you supposed to define a material? You can't define them with a Normal or Diffuse since those only represent static information, Specular and Gloss are what determines the 'look' of a model, and they're reactive.
  • amingtonspitfires
    Thanks for the such quick feedback,
    Im definitiely more interested in the content creation of specular maps and what they should look like.
    I'm also trying to find documents that i can use as evidence as to why specular maps are so important when creating photo-real faces. (hope that makes sense)
    cheers
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The best way to understand any material is through observation. Before you know how to "make" a spec map you need to understand the physical properties of the material. There has been a lot of technical stuff written on this no doubt, but the best way to really break it down is simple observation.

You've got a face(I presume) and likely a lamp, mirror and/or camera. Pay attention to how your skin reacts to various lighting conditions, which parts of your face are more/less reflective(specular), and which parts are dull/glossy(glossiness).

I'm not entirely sure why you need documents to support this, it should be fairly obvious to anyone who has... seen other people before. =P

You can look at tutorials or other peoples work, but referencing art isn't ever a great idea, you're referencing something abstract that is referencing reality. Skip that and just reference reality directly.

Once you understand how a material reacts to light, the whys and hows of asset creation should be straight forward.

If you've got a DSLR, you can use a polorizing filter to seperate specular from diffuse in the real world, which can be very helpful to understand what is going on. Even holding a CPL filter over the lens of your point and shoot camera should work. http://filmicgames.com/archives/547

You can get a lot more advanced with sub-surface scattering, fresnel, etc, but spec/gloss should be fairly easy to observe.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here are a few quick, not-scientific-at-all examples of using a CPL(circular polarizer) filter to separate diffuse from specular. Its a bit hard to do this to myself, if you had another person you could do it quickly and then compare the results in photoshop using "difference" to sort of pull out the specular highlights - but its near impossible to keep the same pose while turning the little filter between shots.

Note that the lighting is the same for each left/right shot, only the CPL has been adjusted. Each set has different lighting though.

skincpl2.jpg
    skincpl3.jpg
    skincpl1.jpg

It doesn't really completely remove the specular from the "diffuse" shots, but you should get the idea.
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    Now what I'd like to see is someone photo-source specular exponent with some kind of filter.
  • Xendance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xendance polycounter lvl 7
    Here's something that might interest you ;)
    Basically what's above my post, but perhaps showing a bit more clear example.
    http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/TakingBetterPhotosForTextures.html
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    That is a really great example!
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To get specular only, you couldn't just use a polarizing filter, since roughly half of the diffuse would still contribute to the shot, right? In other words, you can't filter out all the diffuse with just a polarizer?
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    Computron: He's filtering the specular highlighting off the skin, not filtering the diffuse away from the specular highlight.

You can see its not perfect, but pretty darn good. :)
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    for those of us without access to decent cameras + lens filters, is there a digital solution to this? like, does anyone know of a good depolarizing filter for photoshop?
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Uhm, Gir, you can't magically depolarize after the picture has been taken. It's a process that happens with physical light based on it's angle towards the lens.
    It's like you're asking to change the camera position on a photo after it has been taken...
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    yeah until now i've settled for clone tool + darken layer tricks to get the job done. but that is painstakingly long sometimes, and not always good enough. and i figured since all colour data in photoshop is essentially just numbers, there might be some filter wizard who's made something to do this.

oh well :)
  • mdeforge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mdeforge polycounter lvl 14
    I can tell you from experience that once I started drawing diffuse sources from a site like 3D.SK, and then making speculars based of those high res maps, it made a world of difference. High resolution sources will really help you reach that quality you're looking for.

EDIT: Is a linear or circular filter needed? I keep seeing info on both...
  • mdeforge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    for those of us without access to decent cameras + lens filters, is there a digital solution to this? like, does anyone know of a good depolarizing filter for photoshop?
    I've seen a way to do this with a face, but I'm sure it's not as good as the polarization way.

1) Use the shadow/highlight feature in Photoshop to normalize the values.
    2) Bring the oils out... duplicate the layer, desaturate it, then open up the levels and adjust the settings so you bring out highs of the image.
    3) Take that, make an alpha of it, and then use it to select the pixels on your original diffuse layer, then add a curves adjustment layer to that and bring it into range.
    4) If you start to see a loss of detail from this or a loss of saturation, mess with the contrast, curves, and hue/saturation.

examplehf.png

It does a pretty bang up job for a software solution. Results may vary, and it still requires a good clean shot. You just have to ask yourself if doing all that polarization work is worth it for the content you're creating.

PS: These images and steps were taken from "Character Texturing for Production" with Ben Neall on Gnomon Workshop. Link to product page found here: http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/store/product/425/Character-Texturing-for-Production
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stradigo: I used a CPL, i'm not exactly sure how linear polarizers work.

gir: You can get a $10 CPL filter and hold it in front of a cheap camera, its not a major investment. You could also buy something like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/filter-mount-lens-adapter-SAMSUNG-EX1-TL-500-58MM-/330687469189?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cfe825685 duct tape it to your camera and easily use filters.

You don't really need a high end DSLR to do this sort of stuff, a CPL, some bright lighting, shooting at low ISO(to avoid noise/loss of detail) and zoom in to a longer focal length on your camera to avoid the wide angle perspective distortion. That should do it.

Anyway, my example above wasn't really meant as a guide on how to make the content itself, more so to show a method to observe the differences, and see what the specular component is contributing to the end result.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can vouch that Crazybump does a killer job on killing everything and leaving you with a nice diffuse if you use it (not sure if nDo has that option).

Pretty much the same stuff that Stradigos mentioned, only much more easier for the lazy in us.

Also, don't forget to take pictures in RAW format, you will have extra access to certain tools if your application allows it.
  • mdeforge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also, don't forget to take pictures in RAW format, you will have extra access to certain tools if your application allows it.
    This would also help with creating profiles that you could apply to multiple images. For example, if you took a lot of reference photo's of someone's head in the same conditions (top, left, etc.), adjust the one image, save a profile out, and then apply it to all the other RAW's. Save's some time, not much else. That's another tip from that video I referenced above.

I just bought nDo2 last night. I take it you're talking about the "Removing Shading" and "Remove Highlights" sliders on the diffuse tab in CrazyBump? Yeah, seems to do a decent job for only two controls. With nDo2 though, I would probably start with the process outlined above. I haven't really looked at it enough though to see if they have sliders to help automatically deal with this stuff. That would be pretty neat. I'll check it out later and report back if I find anything.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just looked up the setup in nDo, didn't find anything about taking a diffuse directly and editing it.
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias wrote: »
    Computron: He's filtering the specular highlighting off the skin, not filtering the diffuse away from the specular highlight.

You can see its not perfect, but pretty darn good. :)

I understand that is what he is doing, my question is how you would do the opposite.
  • equil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    separating specular and diffuse components is a pretty old problem in machine vision, so there's actually a lot of research and data on it. One thing you realize fairly quickly is how little variation there is in the spec component of a lot of objects. Anyway, figured this might be relevant;

Slide6.PNG

taken from http://gl.ict.usc.edu/Research/DigitalEmily/.
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    equil wrote: »
    separating specular and diffuse components is a pretty old problem in machine vision, so there's actually a lot of research and data on it. One thing you realize fairly quickly is how little variation there is in the spec component of a lot of objects. Anyway, figured this might be relevant;

Slide6.PNG

taken from http://gl.ict.usc.edu/Research/DigitalEmily/.

THAT LOOKS AMAZING.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So in truth, we all look like the Silver Surfer?
  • amingtonspitfires
    Wow amazing response to the question.
    EarthQuake, a massive thank you for your detailed explanation of how to understand the power of specular and how to seperate the specular from a diffuse with the use of a CPL. I'll definitely have to get my hands on one for my 550D.
    Also Equil's photo looks amazing!
    Thanks again for the assistance guys, it's much appreciated :)
  • womball
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stradigos wrote: »
    I've seen a way to do this with a face, but I'm sure it's not as good as the polarization way.

1) Use the shadow/highlight feature in Photoshop to normalize the values.
    2) Bring the oils out... duplicate the layer, desaturate it, then open up the levels and adjust the settings so you bring out highs of the image.
    3) Take that, make an alpha of it, and then use it to select the pixels on your original diffuse layer, then add a curves adjustment layer to that and bring it into range.
    4) If you start to see a loss of detail from this or a loss of saturation, mess with the contrast, curves, and hue/saturation.

examplehf.png

It does a pretty bang up job for a software solution. Results may vary, and it still requires a good clean shot. You just have to ask yourself if doing all that polarization work is worth it for the content you're creating.

PS: These images and steps were taken from "Character Texturing for Production" with Ben Neall on Gnomon Workshop. Link to product page found here: http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/store/product/425/Character-Texturing-for-Production

How are you supposed to get the steps 3 and 4 to work? I don't how how to get the levels right to remove the highlights. I'm using 3d.sk images so I don't have access to fancy poloarization photography. I also use the desaturated image as an curve adjustemnet layer but it not taking out all of the specularity.
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel wrote: »
    So in truth, we all look like the Silver Surfer?

I guess we do, when we are under what looks like hundreds of lights (Reflections in her eyes).
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool, gives a whole new meaning to the pick-up line of "Hey, wanna ride the silver rode?"
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heya peeps,

I was wondering if anyone knew the names of filters one would use to filter out your standard Spec/Diffuse/Cavity setup in the images one takes with a camera?

I know that Polariztion Filters (Linear) is what you need to get a flat diffuse, and negate the Specular, but what would I need to do for the opposite, where I want to only 'see' and pull the Specular?

I found this 'formula' for the Specular, which nice and all, but I don't recall windows or photoshop having the ability if create and manage HLSL code:

http://filmicgames.com/archives/233

So yeah, any pretty help here peeps? Would be grand!
  • rube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rube polycounter lvl 17
    in photoshop Image>Calculations lets you do some simple math on layers, add/subtract etc with a few options.. that might get you some of those layers.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=95386

I don't think there are any filters that will do what a polarizer will do to get just spec or "cavity". You'll have to do something more complex.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @rube: Thanks, I actually tried that, but photoshop (CS5 atleast) seems to do that based only per channel basis, I tried setting up a Macro so that it will do math (subtract) from each channel, and then copies them all in another tab and pastes them in the channels, but I couldn't get it working.

On the other hand, a simple subtract from layers will totally make the object look inverted in color, as opposed to the site math, which gives it a more 'relaxed' hue. Mine currently look's completely 100% dialectic, which doesn't look the same in the site.

@EQ: Haha, thanks, but I kinda did already post and look up in that thread, problem is, the only 'reference' image is that of "Emily", and even then the math behind how to get Spec only is not explained.

The link I posted up has a HLSL method of 'retrieving' the Spec and the 'correct' color, but I don't know how it would be compiled or be made into an Action or PS.

Here is the text I'm referencing to:
    If the first image is image A and the second is image B, the diffuse image is 2*A and the specular image is B-A. Of course, these images are stored with the sRGB profile. So here is the shader code to compare the two images and separate them out, and store the result as an sRGB image. As always, this code is not actually tested.

filmicgameshowtosplitsp.png
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh I figured you just missed that post, why not post in that thread then as it seems to be exactly what you're interested in? I can merge the threads if you like.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, sure, should fit.
  • Gestalt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gestalt polycounter lvl 11
    You say a linear polarization filte.r. I'm actually currently setting up a camera setup to capture specular, diffuse, scattering based on rgb, etc, and I'd really like to know should I be using a linear rather than circular filter? I had a hard time finding info based on what I'd specifically like to do and I read that the circular still allowed for auto focus so I just got that (sorry if it seems like I'm hijacking).
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gestalt wrote: »
    You say a linear polarization filte.r. I'm actually currently setting up a camera setup to capture specular, diffuse, scattering based on rgb, etc, and I'd really like to know should I be using a linear rather than circular filter? I had a hard time finding info based on what I'd specifically like to do and I read that the circular still allowed for auto focus so I just got that (sorry if it seems like I'm hijacking).

I would like to know the difference too, in the article Zac linked too I think the linear Polarizer was referring to the film the author placed over the flash?
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not a problem mate, should be useful for other peeps too.

Some stuff which might help shed some light:

dsc0500lu.th.jpg
    dsc0496gf.th.jpg

I have an instruction manual here next to me which is pretty big, but here is what is written in it:
    Circular is exactly the same as Linear, only that it's mainly used with Camera's which cannot Meter exposure correctly. Meaning camera's which are 'divided', refracting, prism or half mirrors.
    So basically, same stuff, only used really for certain camera's that lack an automatic/or manual controllable exposure and which fall under a certain qualifier.

Another one that seems to be popular in the manual is this:
    Polarize-Conversion: Same as linear, but enabled tungsten film to be used in daylight , plus also serves to darken the sky as well increase color saturation in general.

So yeah, been scouring the manual for over several hours and still no dice on anything only captures reflections, all of them seem to negate it.
  • pher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What you are looking at with 'Emily' was done by Paul Debevec (the grandad of GI, basically). There was a TED about it years ago. This tech was used in Benjamin Button, and Tron w/ DD. We duplicated this at work to a limited extent... you really need a custom light rig to make it work. We used a home built stereo rig, but I don't think that's the best approach.

If you wanted a home brew version, you need your camera with CPL, and polarized light sources. To get two images w/o your talent moving is the hard part. My thought was to get four flashes, and set them up in tandem... one w/o polarization and one with on each side. Then depending on how fast your camera syncs w/ flashes... maybe 1/250-1/400s try to pop off one shot with and without. I've seen custom flash rigs for sports photography, but I have no idea how to rig something like that up.

As far as the CPL/Linear polarizer goes... you need a CPL if you are using modern cameras (and you all will be) so your camera meters properly. You should be shooting everything on manual anyway, so everything is as consistent as possible. There is no filter that is going to give you straight cavity/specular/reflection... that's not how the world works. It's just like how polarized sunglasses work. This is all fairly new in production for film.

http://www.ted.com/talks/paul_debevec_animates_a_photo_real_digital_face.html