Home Technical Talk

3D Max not rendering AO properly! HELP!

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Chicken Dip polycounter lvl 8
Hey all, My 3ds max is being weird... i managed to bake the Normals perfectly but when i bake the AO it wont bake properly on these:
AK-47_AO.jpg

and this is the model High poly, low poly with the projection cage...

ak-tape.jpg

This is of the top red circles on the top of the AO bake... maybe my cage is wrong or something? it does cover the whole High Poly i quadruple checked...

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Technically MentalRay should ignore the low poly mesh but it doesn't so you have to hide it.

Oh the low poly go down to the element level, hide all and then bake. That always works for me.

I've seen some people suggest selecting the low poly, right click and go object properties, then turn off renderable on the right side and try that, but I haven't tried it.

I gave up on Mental Ray because it fubars the padding, incorrectly colors the background of normal maps and unless you crank the final gather settings it renders blurrier maps than default scanline...
    3dsmax_MentalRayPaddingIssue_AO.jpg3dsmax_MentalRayPaddingIssue_N.jpg
  • Chicken Dip
    Offline / Send Message
    Chicken Dip polycounter lvl 8
    I just use the default scanline i tried the Vray one but EVERYTHING just came out terrible so i gave up on it... i tried the last one on this tutorial... but it failed so i went back to the default scanline... and here i am asking for help... could it be that the High Poly is not touching or inside the low poly?
  • SpeCter
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter polycounter lvl 14
    If you are using the Light Tracer , try to use a higher ray bias setting or set bounces to 2 or higher and test again.
  • kurt_hectic
    Offline / Send Message
    kurt_hectic polycounter lvl 13
    Turn on shading in cage and check if once again. If it is,
    1) use push modifier with 0,01 , That will help.
    2)Like Mark said: flip all faces in low\hi poly or try hide low\hi poly...there was some trick but I can't remember the details...

3)You always can detach that elements, export them as obj, import back\ export to zbrush, import back and project only this one piece....its hard to do so complicated projection at once, try to do it part by part and mix all after in photoshop (render mask for easy selection)