Home Technical Talk

animating biped arms/legs

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Olli. polycounter lvl 8
does anyone know how to rotate the whole arm after posing the palm?
like something similar to the swivel angle controls on IK Solvers.

currently my upper arms is penetrating the chest and i want it to bend the other way.

Replies

• Scruples
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scruples polycounter lvl 10
    A script for emulating a pole vector should be possible without adding IK, although I am not aware of any....you could add IK controls and blend between, but much faster to just fix the upper arm using FK and animate like you normally would.

Character Studio rigs apparently have this built in since you can switch between FK and IK on the fly, but it sounds like you aren't using it.
  • Olli.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Olli. polycounter lvl 8
    also a bonus question:
    reddot.PNG

whats that red dot there? it seems to be a pivot point for the palm, but how did it get there (wasnt there when i started) and how do i move/remove it

thanks scruples but i dont know what you mean

im just using the default biped in 3ds max.. all i want to do is rotate the arm without changing the position of the palm
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoTekK polycounter lvl 17
    The red dot is a non-default pivot point, though I can't for the life of me recall which rollout or tab that's under.

For your first question, couldn't you just anchor the hand via the keyframing rollout?
  • Warheart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Warheart polycounter lvl 17
    To rotate the arm while keeping the hand pinned in space you need to set an IK key on the arm (e.g. "Key Info" rollout > set sliding key) and then select the forearm and rotate it around its local X axis (set the mode to Local in the dropdown box at the top of the UI next to the rotate tool button while the rotate tool is active).

As for the pivot point that's the point that the hand will rotate around. You always have one of these when you have an IK key set. It can be changed on a per-keyframe basis. To change the pivot point: set the time slider to a time where an IK key exists (e.g. a "sliding" key) then under the Key Info rollout expand the IK sub-section and click the "select pivot" button and select one of the little wireframe spheres that should be displayed to use as the pivot point for the current keyframe.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Olli. wrote: »
    does anyone know how to rotate the whole arm after posing the palm?
    like something similar to the swivel angle controls on IK Solvers.

currently my upper arms is penetrating the chest and i want it to bend the other way.
    I think I understand what you're talking about, you want the elbow to swivel so you can point it away or toward the body? For that you adjust the red X axis (if pivot is set to local) of the forearm to adjust where the elbow is pointing.

The red dot indicates you have a planted key set on that frame and that is where the pivot is set in the hand. In the key info rollout of the biped menu you can set the key to free or sliding. Free will disable the IK, planted will stick the hand in world space. Sliding will allow the hand to change position but it's mostly used in the feet for walk cycles, the foot will slide along the ground plane as you adjust the Center of Mass so the foot never pops or jumps around on the ground plane.

You can also move the pivot around the hand/fingers, foot/toes by going down to IK and clicking on "select Pivot" and then clicking on a joint in the hand or clicking the box next to "select pivot" and choosing a pivot point from the pop up menu.
  • Olli.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Olli. polycounter lvl 8
    thanks guys youve been a great help!