Home General Discussion

The “Paying To Work For Free” VFX Business Model

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Jasp polycounter lvl 12
An article on how Digital Domain CEO John Textor would like to have 30% of his workforce be students... who pay to "have the privilege" to work for them.
I could very well see this happen in the game industry as well :|

http://vfxsoldier.wordpress.com/2012/03/26/the-paying-to-work-for-free-vfx-business-model/

Replies

• David-J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    David-J polycounter lvl 11
    that just sounds evil!
  • PredatorGSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PredatorGSR polycounter lvl 14
    As if students aren't racking up enough debt already....
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Depends how much actual teaching they're doing. If it's significant, then sure, works for me. It'd probably be more valuable than classes. If however, they just sit you in front of a computer, show you how to do one mindless task and then force you to do it forever, then fuck them.

I'd imagine they can't make a lot of profit if their pros spend all their time teaching though.
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I've never worked in VFX but I always hear stories like this that make it sound 10 times worse than anything that happens in the game industry.
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    its going to be labor that’s actually paying us for the priviledge of working on our films.

Wire removal and rotoscoping

No thanks, not for free.
  • sinistergfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sinistergfx polycounter lvl 18
    W T F

If their work is good enough to be used in your product that you are making money off of, then they're good enough to get paid.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I feel unpaided internships are a bit of exploition, but actually paying to work for a studio is ridiculous unless it is set up like a school. I just imagine a dozen kids doing boring tasts like cleaning up mocap animation and tracking points for 50 hours a week.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Am I understanding this right?
    The "motivation" for the students here is supposed to be that they come out of school with a couple feature films on their resume, which would be great for the whole "needing experience to get your first job" aspect of the industry.
    But because they are inexperienced students they're going to get stuck on wire removal and rotoscoping.
    So at the end of their schooling they still can't get a job because they only know how to rotoscope.
    Is that about the size of it?
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    The "motivation" for the students here is supposed to be that they come out of school with a couple feature films on their resume, which would be great for the whole "needing experience to get your first job" aspect of the industry.
    But because they are inexperienced students they're going to get stuck on wire removal and rotoscoping.
    So at the end of their schooling they still can't get a job because they only know how to rotoscope.

looks like it...
  • Doubles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is disgusting really. Yes because of the low skill level of the students they will do only the low level bitch jobs, and having a list of feature films with that little personal participation of the total scope will leave them jobless afterwards. Maybe China, and India has the numbers, and thus the power to do those bitch jobs effectively and cheap, but talent is still rare everywhere, and the fact that they don't do tasks that requires more skill, they may end up stuck at that level. DD should just give up the competition with China and India and spend that money on something else, they shouldn't compete with what they can't.
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    Exactly why I switched to the game industry my senior year of college and left the Film industry after a few interviews with DD and other similar FX houses. After hearing stories from friends that had interned with them and others that were barely making due on contract work I was completely turned off. Paying someone else while I rotoscope and pull keys for them sounds like a special layer in Hell. No matter how much I miss the industry and the pipelines it wasn't worth the belittling of talented artists that ensued from hands on demonstrations with their 'industry' veterans.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    It's funny because a lot of unpaid internships can be illegal. At least... in Canada. There's PLENTY of articles about unpaid internships out there. just google it.

http://www.walletpop.ca/blog/2011/07/20/unpaid-internships-outed-as-illegal/
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [QMinimum Years of Experience required:UOTE=slipsius;1554814]It's funny because a lot of unpaid internships can be illegal. At least... in Canada. [/QUOTE]

http://www.learn4good.com/jobs/creative_arts_and_media/e/137055/search/toronto/

From the Jan 20, 2012 job ad:

Minimum Education Level required - College

Minimum Years of Experience required: 1 to 2 Years

This is an unpaid position.

Qualifications Required: • Must be eager, excited and willing to learn.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Roto is the standard path into doing compositing. Everyone has to pay their dues in wire removal. If students could get that out of the way sooner rather than later they'd be far better off coming into the industry.

That said, this is a business model that I've seen abused a lot in the Australian games industry - studios bringing in naive students to work free/cheaply for ridiculous hours for the reward of some nebulous "experience".
  • Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley polycounter lvl 13
    I remember seeing a couple of years ago a news report on the BBC explaining that in recent years students (and their wealthy parents) were paying companies for work experience at top companies, especially legal firms - but still at a low-level obviously.

Seems absolutely mental. I remember at the time Vince Cable wanted to make this illegal. Dunno what happened since then though...
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    I wasn't that stupid even when I was in school, and I went to the Art Institutes.

Screw that guy. If he tried that here in the States, the IRS would be up his ass nine ways to Sunday.

EDIT: Wait, they're still in LA, right? How the hell are they getting away with this?
  • CrazyMatt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This all sounds like its the next step in the "next-generation" of outsourcing. :| we all know where that goes! :(
  • Tigerfeet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tigerfeet polycounter lvl 12
    This has to be illegal. I know I heard some stories about unpaid internships being given a look-over here in the US. That said, just because this is likely illegal doesn't mean they won't try it. It'll take someone pressing charges first. Speaking of, I wonder if TAG is aware of this. I'm not sure they represent VFX folks though.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    this is why we need a polycount union if this "artist Slavery" (like this) really takes place (which i highly doubt) a backlash is needed!
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    CrazyMatt wrote: »
    This all sounds like its the next step in the "next-generation" of outsourcing. :| we all know where that goes! :(

gee, you really think outsourcing is cheap because people are paid crap?! outsourcing is cheap because it happens in countries where the loans are lower IN GENERAL or because the studios work with just less overhead (show me one outsourcer that has a gym or a tiki bar or the luxury of even getting on the game credits).

Now this has absolutely nothing to do with outsourcing at all. This is just tricking students into doing work for free. And yes, this is unfortunately working in many many industries - just look at journalism for example.
    French and German people may remember the protests from a few years ago about unpaid internships and unpaid practice years after graduation where people were exploited in a similar fashion.
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    Tigerfeet wrote: »
    This has to be illegal. I know I heard some stories about unpaid internships being given a look-over here in the US. That said, just because this is likely illegal doesn't mean they won't try it. It'll take someone pressing charges first. Speaking of, I wonder if TAG is aware of this. I'm not sure they represent VFX folks though.

My hunch is that this runs afoul of all kinds of labor laws AND tax laws. I think Mr. Wishes It Was Still 1890 With Company Towns And Company Scrip is about to get a very not-fun visit from some IRS and Dept. of Labor federales.

There's the free market, and then there's... this. This is neither legal nor ethical.
  • CrazyMatt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm wrote: »
    gee, you really think outsourcing is cheap because people are paid crap?! outsourcing is cheap because it happens in countries where the loans are lower IN GENERAL or because the studios work with just less overhead (show me one outsourcer that has a gym or a tiki bar or the luxury of even getting on the game credits).

Now this has absolutely nothing to do with outsourcing at all. This is just tricking students into doing work for free. And yes, this is unfortunately working in many many industries - just look at journalism for example.
    French and German people may remember the protests from a few years ago about unpaid internships and unpaid practice years after graduation where people were exploited in a similar fashion.

I only made my opinion open to state that. Actions like these taken in cheap measures only lead to a lower presence for healthy and quality development because there are obviously more stubborn people out there who are more greedy, and selfish for big bucks. While increasing the lowest work standards to treat talented individuals like garbage and doing this makes it increasingly OK for big heads to continue onward w/o any regard on how it affects people like myself, those on polycount, and around the general 3D community who deserve better work and treatment for their dedication and their passions. It doesn't need a technical minded person to figure that out when you take the time to step back and see the positives from all the negatives.

Whether you can see it or not. This doesn't just relate to low practices for students. This is a reflection upon people of all trades whether professional or entry/interns. Its an increasingly bad set of ethics that are not working. Yet all I am saying here is I am obviously not for it.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Kwramm wrote: »

I know this has nothing to do with outsourcing but I have to address this: pay is less for game development in China, you've even said in the past that westerners have to cut back their lifestyle because the wages are lower in proportion of the cost of living. The fancy studio with a Tiki bar in the US is the rare exception - if you're going to compare, you can't compare the EA Redwood campus to a small outsourcing studio in China, you have to compare it to one of the equally large publishers in China like Tencent.
  • Dylan Brady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dylan Brady polycounter lvl 9
    sounds like the whole "pay to play" thing at most music venues, theres alot of push back against that aswell.
    idk this shit makes me really angry and not have the best outlook for the future of 3d art
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    I honestly think something like this, if not executed in a predatory fashion, would be amazing. If you just paid like $1000 to work part time for 6 months and learn all you could, I'd say hell yes (if I were a student).

Unfortunately, this is being done in the worst way possible right now.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Maybe you could just negotiate to pay them to be your reference for other job applications. You give them a grand, and they'll tell everyone else you worked for them full time for a year?
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    you've even said in the past that westerners have to cut back their lifestyle because the wages are lower in proportion of the cost of living.

I think you confuse this with something someone else said :) Westerners are an exception here and they earn far more than the average Chinese employee because otherwise you just don't get people from the outside with production xp to come to China - they would just stay in the US/EU.

Our studio, close to 1000 employees is run very conservatively I would say. There's much less waste on luxuries than I have seen in some Western studios - e.g. not a single Cintiq, mostly wacom bamboos, no Gym (we do have a sculpting room with lots of clay though ;) ), no free beer on fridays, etc. We hire mostly grads (also due to the lack of people with xp) but they're all paid - actually they even get intensive training classes here from us before they start their jobs - that's something I'd like to see western studios offer.

Sure there's also the sweatshop outsourcers, but a sweatshop place building AAA content is just as unrealistic as a sweatshop place designing a commercial jet liner. Quality work requires quality pay and quality premises. People who worked on an AAA title and haven't been crunched to death probably know this.

Then again I've always wondered how much use students who don't get paid actually are probably none unless you give them monkey jobs. Let's hope their teachers warn them of the dullness that awaits them (mine certainly did when it came to rotoscope cleanup). The only benefit I see is making contacts and passing around your reel while you're there (kinda like many Runners do)
    CrazyMatt wrote: »
    Whether you can see it or not.
    I see your point, but I don't agree with your choice of example to illustrate it.
    I work for an AAA outsourcer and it just doesn't fit. I also don't see how US based outsourcers like Liquid Development would fit into your example.

Sorry if my comment sounds harsh - I just come across too many people who think outsourcing consists of 10 half naked people sitting in a damp basement in a 3rd world country making crates and barrels in front of old CRT monitors working 16 hour shifts. I hope you're not one of them and if you are - you think EA, THQ, Activision, NCSoft, Disney, Square Enix, Naughty Dog, Ubi would pay for assets made that way?
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
    Well I'm a one man AAA outsourcing studio in taiwan :P and I have my "basement" ;)

Jokes aside, It's quite worrisome to see these kind of paths companies take,
    Haven't seen that level of shittyness in the game industry but many companies
    take in more free interns then they can handle in hope of free workers.

Still quality costs, and I'm sure it still will in the future.
  • Rabbid_Cheeze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If someones work is unusable in production, then sure. Otherwise, this is just plain evil, especially if they're trying to take advantage of students who already have five and six figure debts from school.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    If someones work is unusable in production, then sure. Otherwise, this is just plain evil, especially if they're trying to take advantage of students who already have five and six figure debts from school.

yup. I totally agree - it's just bad practice.

Globalisation and open markets are just a fact (heck people move their entire production Montreal to save a buck!) but not paying for good work is quite different.
  • lefix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lefix polycounter lvl 11
    And yet for some reason I find that this might make more sense than paying for art school.

Getting some real industry experience, contacts with professionals, learning from the best and possibly a job afterwards if you work hard enough is more than any art school can offer.
  • EzMeow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EzMeow polycounter lvl 10
    lefix wrote: »
    Getting some real industry experience, contacts with professionals, learning from the best and possibly a job afterwards if you work hard enough is more than any art school can offer.

If you think about it, if 30% of the workload is from their "student", it means that the remaining workforce would be even more skilled/talented people due to this "filtering". So between veteran and free student, where do you get your entry point with your " not so much experienced but not free" position?
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There are problems with this, obviously, but at the same time working with real world artists on real projects is a great opportunity for any student. I know that when I got out of school and into my first real job, it was almost like starting over with the stuff I learned in that first year. School gives you the basic foundation but there is nothing like the real world for an actual education.
  • Vio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vio polycounter lvl 6
    Sounds like a way to make sure only rich people have jobs. That won't guarantee good work, good creative skill ignores class.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, people with money will have advantages ... and that's different from now, how? :)
  • Vio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vio polycounter lvl 6
    Yes, people with money will have advantages ... and that's different from now, how? :)

But when you apply class to who gets jobs its not sustainable and causes a brain drain.
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So they want 30 percent of their work force to be duped students that they don't have to pay?

Thats just insulting and disrespectful...not just to those students but to people in our profession as a whole.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    lefix wrote: »
    And yet for some reason I find that this might make more sense than paying for art school.

only true if you're from one of the "horror story" art schools. A good art school should give you more than roto cleanup skills ;)

On the other hand, is it really worth getting into the industry to do roto cleanup? Sure some people start as runners. But heck, if you wanna be a modeller, stay at home, work on modeling and then look for a real modeler position rather than wasting time with cheap crappy "foot in the door" jobs where, yes, you are IN the industry but you have no time left to work on what counts - your folio (unless you want to advance in the cleanup hierarchy).
    Its the same hassle as starting out in QA - is that really the right route to become, let's say, a concept artist??
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    The only thing that bothers me is paying to do easy and boring work. If there is some serious and major education and mentoring going on at the sametime, that would be awesome. I just feel like you could pay a techy high school student minimum wage to do clean up.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    yep. although that's where you lose money. Advanced skills take time to train and take trainers, who could otherwise work on your production. Try selling this to your money counting boss - unless there's a strong need to hire new grads. Then this could be a good way to keep your HR's inbox filled - but with an economy like that it's probably full anyway.

We however do this - there's just not enough skilled people here in China, so we partnered with a local university and offer hands on training to make them ready to produce game art and then hire the best people. It's kinda self serving but there's just no other way to find people that are good enough to eventually put them on AAA titles.
  • AnimatedApe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AnimatedApe polycounter lvl 8
    After the Livingstone Hope sector review here in the UK, we will be seeing a lot more of this going on. The reality is that Higher Education Institutions are not equipping graduates with the skills they need to fuel the industry, Many universities in this field have vocationally specific employment rates as low as 4% despite the massive skills gaps that exist throughout the sector.

Seriously, if you run a studio in the UK, try and find a decent graduate who you can recruit straight into a junior position...

My studio has just been given a massive grant to take on gifted and talented undergrads and have them work within a real studio environment in order to better prepare them for the games sector. They work everyday in the studio and the work that they produce as well as how they manage their CPD is assess against a degree program.

We're actually creating a new dedicated resource just for them, plus a royalty based pay scheme so that they can reap the rewards of any projects that they work on. But ultimately, yes they are paying to come and work for us.

What do we get out of it?
    Young talented people who work the way that we do
    Cheap Labour (I'm not going to deny that fact)
    Great new innovative IP
    One of the largest development teams in the UK

What do they get out of it?
    3 years industry experience
    Industry standard 'on the job' training and CPD
    A degree that means something
    The opportunity to pitch their own IP for development in the studio
    More chance of getting a job
    Upto 30% royalty based on individual contributions to a studio IP

What does the sector get out of it?
    Young talent with 3 years industry experience
    Personnel that can be recruited straight into junior and mid level positions
    A consistent stream of new high skilled graduates
  • wasker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wasker polycounter lvl 7
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRHBiM4gp9s"]Digital Domain CEO John Textor: "Free Labor Is Much Better Than Cheap Labor" - YouTube[/ame]

Found this while googling around. Disgraceful is what it is.
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYMnAUGFuG0"]If you're good at something, never do it for free! - YouTube[/ame]
  • Rurouni Strife
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rurouni Strife polycounter lvl 10
    The idea sounded interesting to me at first. It wasn't too long ago when I was a student and I think an unpaid internship (or even something similar to this) would have benefited me in the end. It also sounds like this would be treated as course work, so you last two years you classes are basically working in their studio. When you're starting out, I think it's not necessarily a bad idea to "work for free".

My problem comes from their attitude. They don't give two shits about the students. They just want the labor force. What's their incentive to hiring on some of those kids? It's really low since they have another batch just waiting in the wings year after year. It's also quite expensive for these families who have to dump tons of money into the education or grab student loans. Also, the comments some of you made about this somehow being illegal are probably right.

In conclusion, I think I like short term internships better.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paying students min wage for an internship, seems kind of janky.
    Unpaid internship, seems borderline illegal.
    Pay for the honor of working, seems beyond ridiculous...

... but then again if it is part of school as if the student instead of paying 5-20k for the last year pays $1,000 for a "work in lieu of school program" it would make sense and even save the student money? The company is taking a major risk that the student could preform at the level they need but then again if that level isn't very high then there isn't much risk and the company would cherry pick students so there wouldn't be any surprises.

Yep. Still sounds pretty slummy even when I try to rationalize it.
  • RyanB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Why not do this for the entire workforce?

I don't see why an experienced worker won't have to pay for the privilege of learning to become a lead. A lead could pay to become a supervisor, etc.

This could also apply to cross-training between disciplines.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    Quality in the UK must have gone down then. I worked with quite a few graduates when I was in London who made it right into regular positions. Even here in China we can recruit people into junior positions right away and I wouldn't call the Chinese education system being better than the UK one.

Or could it just be that people don't just want to take the first best job that comes along with crappy pay and rather stay home and work on their folio while they can to enter the industry having a proper job and proper pay? Even though it's anecdotal evidence, I still know more people who did that than people who grabbed the first job that came along.

I know very few colleges that produce people who can get a job right away - and yes, the industry would love that for obvious reasons (cheap well trained people? hell yeah!). But I came to see college more as a long term investment. The knowledge you gain, the connections, you benefit of it over the years, not right away. The returns are little drips, not a single instant shot. And this also makes it hard for the employer to see what college gives (or doesn't give) a recruit when they're hiring.

And I also know many people who instead of taking the first job that comes along, work on their folio. Sit at home 6 more months and bust their ass so they could enter the industry doing what they wanted to do and getting paid properly.

Personally I would rather hire someone with little experience and little CG Knowledge as long as I know the guy had a wide exposure to topics like life drawing, color theory, art theory and history, cinematography, sculpting over someone who got 3 years of low level production experience. But I guess it all depends on the sort of production you're doing and the student's short and long term goals.
  • Vio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vio polycounter lvl 6
    It won't work, good art skills are not determined by class and no one at uni who is about to graduate like me is in any position to blow their money and time on what is just an extension to paid education but with no qualification at the end.

I don't buy that it would be useful work experience on the CV either. If I was an employer and I asked a student about the work experience and found out it was pay to work scheme, I would just think their a bit of a mug and kind of bribing their way into the industry rather than on merit.

After 3 years of pot noodles, vesta curries and hard work, I will pass on paying to work for free. When your portfolio is ready and up to standard there is no reason why you can't get a paid job anyway.
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Since this thread is on page 1 again, lemme say I have to re-think my opinion on DD's pay for school + work.

I was recently checking how my linkedin contacts are doing and saw that one has finally graduated from vfs and now works in the film industry as...a jr. roto artist.

When I saw that I recalled immediately this Digital Domain school. On the surface the difference between vfs, also an expensive school, and DD is you only start doing "real" work after graduation (from vfs) IF you get lucky and get hired. Whereas in DD you pay for training but you also start working on real production (so the CEO in the article says) during your student status.

I'm not recommending one school over another since software and online training is dirt cheap these days. And networking with pros is as simple as following and conversing with a few guys active on twitter. But just sharing this to people thinking of going the traditional college route.