Home Technical Talk

Unknown troubles with the seams on Normal map

Hi everyone!
First of all, I would like to excuse for my not very good English, but I'll try my best.

I'll try to describe the problem:
I made high polygonal model, than I created low polygonal model for it. Than, of course, I made UVs.
After all this standard work, I began to prepare model for baking Normal map. The model has central symmetry, so, I made a copy of my low poly model and took all UVs, which had overlapping with symmetrical side to a free place and scaled them to a point. So, all UVs became unique.
The main goal of this preparations was to keep correct normals in the middle, to avoid seams.
I decided to use xNormal and the result was good - as I saw it on render in 3ds max. But when I imported model in the Marmoset Toolbag and added my normal map - I've got strange seam on the model - You may see it on the screenshot.
Does anyone knows how to remove it, or, maybe I made some mistakes?
Thanks!

problemnm.jpg

Replies

• Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Are your UVs overlapping on the same Uv range ?
    Looks like a baking problem (with xNormal) than a render problem inside marmoset.
    Try to move you flipped UV on the next UV range before the baking.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are all of your UV shell's stacked inside the renderable area? Or are the overlapping pieces offset one tile to the right, left, up or down?

I haven't really used Marmoset that much but it could be that the xNormal baking settings could be incorrectly set and its out of sync with Marmoset?

Earthquake posting the right answer/questions in 3... 2... ha!
  • Scruples
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scruples polycounter lvl 10
    I think this is actually Marmoset problem with UV shells laying directly ontop eachother...
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    Dont bother with any of that, just offset the mirrored side of the uvs 1 unit out of the 0-1 uv space, it will bake perfect and display perfect, with no need to worry about multiple copies of the mesh etc.
  • Morgul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks to everyone, for advices, but the reason was much more simple. When I exported the model in obj format, I forgot to switch off the check box "optimize: vertex, normals, texture-coords" - that was the reason why my correct normal map was shown incorrect.
    Here is the final picture of my work, as you can see - there is no more any troubles with the normal map:

armymanbs.jpg