Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Gun Modeling Assistance Needed

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
I'm not sure if this is the best place to ask this as I just signed up but I feel it is, sorry if its not.
Anyway I'm working on a game asset and I'm not done yet, but I want to know about what you guys thing I'm doing right and what I'm doing totally wrong/what I could do to make this about x10 better.

I'll attach the images I'm referring to.

The game is going to be designed to take full advantage of tri-video card setups if you want to play it smoothly... We are using Cryengine 3 as well.
But my model only has 2.5k polys so far and I know that't not too many.

Either-way I want to know about how my topology looks, does it matter, and I going about this the wrong way?
I sectioned it off into blocks and slowly made the parts.

I still have some modeling to do, even some under the model that you can't see that covers the back, so it won't matter if its blocky. The trigger guard and trigger were hardest and I've been working on this on and off for about 2 days.

2ev6bz7.png
246npq8.png

Thanks ahead of time.

Replies

• Drav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drav polycounter lvl 9
    If you want to make a weapon with baked normal maps, yes, the topology is wrong, and yes it does matter. Add a turbosmooth modifer and you'll see what I mean.

Go find a video tutorial on hard surface subdivision modelling. youre not a million miles away, but you need to learn how to model properly for turbosmooth. If you dont want to make next gen weapons you could put this in CE3 as is, and it would work, but it wont be needing three video cards :P

Racer445 had a great video on modelling baking and texturing an ak47, but hes taken it down because he thinks its rubbish. I disagree, I think it was one of the best videos Ive seen on SubD modelling and baking. You might find that somewhere.....
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    Oh no I didn't mean it needs three video cards, the end result of the game will sorry:P and it what ways is my topology wrong, could you highlight it? I really want to learn this is only like my second model but thanks for the feedback I'll look for the tutorial!
  • Bertmac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bertmac polycounter lvl 17
    What he means is that u made heavily use of Ngons. and you should'n So remove them so u can use a turbo-smooth
  • AtlusZMH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You should look around at other people's guns here and try to implement the type topology they use for your high poly.

Drav and Bertmac are right, N-gons like yours will not work for what you're aiming for.

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=88790

Thats a good thread to look through, Lonewolf's topology is definitely spot on and you can learn a lot from it!

Good luck!
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    Definitely look around on the many gun threads laying around here.

Although mine is far from a perfect example I was kind enough to provide a SDK, with my model(lowpoly) and the textures.

If you want take a look on that here.
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1506599/Assault_Rifle_SDK.rar

(Must say racers455 AK47 tutorial was awesome watched that so many times, to bad he removed it)