Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP - Venetian Apartment

Hi All,

I have been reading the polycount forums for a while now, this is my first post. I have been working on a modular venetian style apartment building, I wanted to try using some texture optimization by overlapping some of the UVs, which will increase the over all detail on the building, but it also makes it very difficult to add variation to break up the repetition. The solution I came up with would be to use geometry as a decal with unique grunge and wear mapped to them.

looking forward to feed back.

At the moment I have only created a base diffuse for the building, which consists of 2 1024x1024 maps.

veniceapt.jpg

veniceaptpeices.jpg

Replies

• Firenze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey all,
    so I took the scene into UDK and set up a basic lighting solution, this are the result I got.

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

Any thoughts or critiques are welcome.
  • snake85027
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snake85027 polycounter lvl 18
    looking good, id find a way to light up some of the windows to add more atmosphere to the scene.
  • Firenze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey,

I figured i would try to light it with a simple day lighting set up in udk, i also added a couple of other props and some decal.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

C&C are welcome
  • Firenze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey,
    Here are a couple of the other props i threw in to the modular scene.

Dumpster - 1024 maps Norm, Diff, Spec, 406 poly

Dump.jpg

And a garbage can
    1024 Maps Norm,Diff,Spec 212 poly

GC.jpg

Again C&C are more than welcome.
  • Firenze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey,

I have started working on a new scene, here is a desk prop I'm using in it

Table.jpg

I will be posting more of the props as the scene progresses.
    Again C&C are more then welcome.
  • S2Engine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    S2Engine polycounter lvl 10
    The apartment looks pretty nice! You said it was fairly modular (but I can't see the images in the first post); could you reuse some of your pieces to create a couple more buildings similarly, and fill out a basic street corner? Also I think having a sky would help loads, instead of that black background.
  • Darkleopard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really like the apartments and the dumpster :D
  • mbischof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Apartment looks really nice. I would say the zbrush table is probably the weaker of the lot. The sculpt loos kind of "mooshy" in places. I think it could be more successful if the details were more sharply defined. Keep up the good work!
  • Limewax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Limewax polycounter lvl 6
    Seeing those clotheslines with clothes on them baked in to the wall pieces makes me shed a tear. That is what you're doing there, right? We're past that now and its very.... hmmmm.... circa 2002

Other than that, there are some good things going on here. The overall feel is a good start. If you were to make a kit like this every other week, by the time your 5th kit rolls around, I'm sure you'd never want to look at this one again :)
  • BorisK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the big vertical pillars on the sides are kinda too clean and too bright compared to the wall texture. add abit of wear and tear because the walls have een through hell but nope not the pillars lol

aha i agree with that dude about the clothes line as well aha
  • Fred2303
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fred2303 polycounter lvl 7
  • salacious_Crumb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    salacious_Crumb polycounter lvl 11
    Looks good. Have to agree that the black background is distracting- get a sky in!
    (I think the washing lines are flat polys with an alpha? Don't think they are baked into the wall texture. They seem to be casting shadows?)
  • Firenze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey,
    Thanks for the input, I took the scene back into UDK and added a sky box and rendered out some more screen shots i put them up in my portfolio, I also added some more wear and weathering to the pillars and the molding. ya i put those clothes on a piece of geometry, it looks like its baked in because its so close to the wall behind it.

Tanks again for the input.
  • Firenze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey,
    I have been away for a while but im back to working on my office noir scene, so here is another of the main props, I have just done a basic pass on the diffuse and spec, I'm going to go in and wear down the leather and wood.

ChairBaseDiff.jpg

I have also done a first pass on the lighting for the scene.

MoodTest.jpg

C&C always welcome.

Thanks
  • yodude87
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yodude87 polycounter lvl 5
    first thing i noticed (which has already been addressed before) are the clotheslines baked in the wall. PLEASE, do get rid of it.

and not to be nitpicky, but your garbage can bears an english writing (bay 3). we're in venice, right? it should be "baia 3". just to keep it all fitting :)
  • Firenze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ya i guess they are kind of an eye sore, they are geometry but they are so close to the wall they look like they are baked in.

and ya i guess it would make sense to have the writing in Italian, I didn't actually put the garbage can in the scene yet, it would be an easy fix to modify the maps before i decide where it will go.

Thanks for the feed back :)