Home Technical Talk

Max undo function demolishing mesh normals? Bug?

So I've come across this problem a couple of times in the past. I don't think I ever actually managed to fix it, I think it may have just have gone away. It was however on a different version of Max.

Basically, I'm in the process of optimizing my mesh and after collapsing two or more verts together and deciding against it, I would click undo... this results in my mesh going nuts. See before and after images below...

undoError.JPG

Anyone got any ideas?

Edit: It also happens with target weld prior to undo.

Replies

• Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    may be related to old max version.
    but yes this happens, undo is not perfect.
    especialy with applying certain modifiers, there is no way back.
    so save often :D some stuff undo does is not fixed as easily as broken normals.
  • whoelseisbored
    Goeddy wrote: »
    may be related to old max version.
    but yes this happens, undo is not perfect.
    especialy with applying certain modifiers, there is no way back.
    so save often :D some stuff undo does is not fixed as easily as broken normals.

I've only got an editable poly on it as well :(

Ahh well. Good job ive got incremental saves :) Thanks for replying.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    I sometimes have this when I bring meshes over to max from maya. These meshes stay bugged - i.e. you can fix the undo issues but it may just keep happening again and again.
    I usually just export from max as obj and import the mesh again - in most cases the mesh remains undo bug free from then on.
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    Undo as such is bugged. you learn to work around it through the following steps:

- perform more or less exotic action in max (ranging from welding verts with 'preserve uvs' to changing settings in your path deform modifier)
    - don't like the results; undo
    - mesh explodes
    - weep; reload autosave from 5 minutes ago (that's what i set my autosaves to ;-) )

- approach same sort of problem somewhere down the road
    - hmmm-640x472.png
    - ????
    - PROFIT!

uh, there was a point to this originally. more coffee.