Home General Discussion

Question - Mice - Numbered Marvles

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
Hey to all,

I was wondering if anyone could net me some info, if application like Maya, Max, ZB, UDK, etc... take/are allowed to be mapped to custom mice which are dial enabled.

Example:
razer-naga-mmo-mouse-all-set-to-create-a-new-world-record11.jpg

I saw one of these babies a few days ago going for cheap, I don't MMO, but I was thinking maybe it would help me cut down on time and keys here and there.

Naturally, if anyone could net me some feedback about these and their abilities, that would great. I don't want to buy something which looks pretty but won't work with my apps.

Cheers and ciao.

Replies

• Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley polycounter lvl 13
    I've got that mouse! I use it for shortcuts in Max all the time, set new short cuts to Ctrl+Shift and then the numbers.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i actually have a different mouse, the Corsair M90.
    m90_viewb_lit_1.png

i'm pretty sure the Naga can do most of the same stuff... but i'll let you know about my mouse. essentially you can map any of the buttons to a "regular" mouse button. HOWEVER, windows only recognises up to 5 mouse buttons. so your mouse can be mapped to buttons 1-5 (in whichever order you like).

more importantly though, you can set up ANY button on the mouse to perform a macro action. for example if you wanted a mouse button to do "ctrl + alt + t", you simply plug that in as a macro. so from that point of view it really could speed up your workflow.

you can also have up to 6 profiles (on my mouse, not sure about the naga). so you could have different profiles for different programs, with different macro sets for whatever your needs are.

certainly very versatile.
  • Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah you can have profiles and Macros on the Razer Naga too.

Dunno why I don't just make Macros... Also there are some other options for the buttons as well, 123 numbers or NUM pad, Macros, Sensitivity change, scrolling options, etc. Then there's obviously a whole bunch of options for "actual" buttons and what have you.

You can even change whether it lights up or not!
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK, thanks guys, just one more question, how long after getting the mouse did you get used to the dials/handles? Was it a pain? Did it over a week?
  • C86G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G greentooth
    Are there mice with good wheels for the 3d apps? You know we need the wheel button pressed in Max and so on, but most mice I saw recently had wheels that need to be pressed with... like 10 kilos : /
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    well i use mine primarily for gaming... it took me about a week to get used to it in that regard. once i was using the buttons fast (i pvp in mmo's) enough for my liking, i started making a profile for max... it made quite a bit of difference :D
  • Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel wrote: »
    OK, thanks guys, just one more question, how long after getting the mouse did you get used to the dials/handles? Was it a pain? Did it over a week?

I got used to it super fast. Really great for shortcuts and I do use it for fast switching weapons for FPSs too. :poly142:
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah, I see, coolio, then, thanks a bunch guys.